Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog inBuilders DB
Share | 

Help me design Plum's new robot!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Alex
1000+ club
1000+ club

People Skills: 3578
Registration date: 2009-03-29

PostSubject: Help me design Plum''s new robot!!!   Wed May 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Hey i kinda hit designer block with the new robot for next year, and wondered if i could get some input. Some how all the robots ive been designing are all basically the same and some of the other team members are getting annoyed we cant get something new.

The team basically wants something that isn't a:
-wedge
-4wd drum/beater
I personally dont want a under cutter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Alex
Back to top Go down
MikeNCR
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills: 2314
Registration date: 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Help me design Plum's new robot!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 12:09 am

I don't think I've seen many/any 12/15lb spinners like Mr. Self Destruct/2EZ. A good flipper could be entertaining, but would be quite difficult I suspect.
Back to top Go down
http://nearchaos.net
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

People Skills: 3143
Registration date: 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Help me design Plum's new robot!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 1:18 am

Give me a few days and I'll be back in Miami to finish the flipper guide - it may be something you'll be interested in (I'm in San Diego until Saturday or so).
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

People Skills: 4608
Registration date: 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Help me design Plum's new robot!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 4:52 am

Alex is being stubborn and wants something thats invertible, mauler dance doesnt work for him hahahaha
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin

People Skills: 2856

PostSubject: Re: Help me design Plum's new robot!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 2:21 pm

an invertible flipper - you have two arms and can choose which to fire to flip... Razz
could be interesting... maybe...
cyclops
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

PostSubject: Re: Help me design Plum's new robot!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Dan Curhan wrote:
an invertible flipper - you have two arms and can choose which to fire to flip... Razz
could be interesting... maybe...
cyclops
The last version of X-Contamination was capable of self-righting:

Self-righting with a flipper is mostly determined by the location of the center of mass of the robot.
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Prezerdent of Sexxi Cuddlemen
Prezerdent of Sexxi Cuddlemen

People Skills: 2440
Registration date: 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Help me design Plum's new robot!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 8:07 pm

Everyone point and laugh at the fat kid!!
Back to top Go down
Josh Raichel
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills: 2284
Registration date: 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Help me design Plum's new robot!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Full body spinner, Alex.

It would be a good challenge, and something different. I had a design for one, before we made Warthawg (hate that bot..) that had a friction plate drive, and looked like a mini Ziggo. I couldn't figure out electronics for it then... Now that i think about it, 2 AXi 2826's would have fit and done the trick....

There are many ways you can drive the shell, various shell designs, all kinds of FUN!!

Other than that you could do a brick. Load the outside with Ti and tool steel armour, and magnet the crap out of it. Made it a virtual 50lbs bot.

Vertical Disc would be another option. I have yet to see a good one in the BotsIQ/NARL league.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/josh.raichel
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

PostSubject: Re: Help me design Plum's new robot!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Josh Raichel wrote:
Full body spinner, Alex.

It would be a good challenge, and something different. I had a design for one, before we made Warthawg (hate that bot..) that had a friction plate drive, and looked like a mini Ziggo. I couldn't figure out electronics for it then... Now that i think about it, 2 AXi 2826's would have fit and done the trick....

There are many ways you can drive the shell, various shell designs, all kinds of FUN!!

Other than that you could do a brick. Load the outside with Ti and tool steel armour, and magnet the crap out of it. Made it a virtual 50lbs bot.

Vertical Disc would be another option. I have yet to see a good one in the BotsIQ/NARL league.
If you figured out how to make a spinner that didn't self-destruct, that would be pretty cool... but it's not the easiest thing to do. I would personally make a shell spinner or a melty (invertible robots are a good thing).

As for the brick, look no further than CuddleBunny, that had an additional 180 virtual pounds added with its vacuum unit. Pound for pound, vacuums will beat magnets every time (in the hobbyweight class and up).
Back to top Go down
Josh Raichel
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Help me design Plum's new robot!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 9:33 pm

Jeff L wrote:
Josh Raichel wrote:
Full body spinner, Alex.

If you figured out how to make a spinner that didn't self-destruct, that would be pretty cool... but it's not the easiest thing to do. I would personally make a shell spinner or a melty (invertible robots are a good thing).

As for the brick, look no further than CuddleBunny, that had an additional 180 virtual pounds added with its vacuum unit. Pound for pound, vacuums will beat magnets every time (in the hobbyweight class and up).

Yea but after the competition is over, you can play with the magnets!! Redemption may have sucked at the MOA event, but those extra magnets kept me entertained the rest of the time there.

Well i guess you can play with the vacuums aswell, but...umm....lets not go there.....
Back to top Go down
Alex
1000+ club
1000+ club

PostSubject: Re: Help me design Plum's new robot!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 9:41 pm

Jeff L wrote:

but to be honest i have yet to see cuddlebunny

Josh:
I would love to do a fbs, but self righting is the huge issue

Vert spinner could be a maybe
Back to top Go down
Josh Raichel
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Help me design Plum's new robot!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Alex Udanis wrote:

You do not need a self righting, but rather a preventive device for being flipped over. A hockey stick like tube that extended up from the center of the shell is all that kept Ziggo from getting flipped over. With about 10mins of math, and some drawing you could make a simple pole and extensions that would prevent you from becoming a turtle that is flipped over.

Its very much doable.
Back to top Go down
Alex
1000+ club
1000+ club

PostSubject: Re: Help me design Plum's new robot!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Josh Raichel wrote:
Alex Udanis wrote:

You do not need a self righting, but rather a preventive device for being flipped over. A hockey stick like tube that extended up from the center of the shell is all that kept Ziggo from getting flipped over. With about 10mins of math, and some drawing you could make a simple pole and extensions that would prevent you from becoming a turtle that is flipped over.

Its very much doable.

to friction drive or not tooo now lol
Back to top Go down
Josh Raichel
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Help me design Plum's new robot!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 10:00 pm

Hahaha.

My only worry about that is it slipping too much during start up.

Our junior team's undercutter had a impact hammer's clutch in it. But during testing a day before the comp, they found out that the clutch was engaged the entire time from the force of the Scorpion's spinning.

I fear the friction drive would do that.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

PostSubject: Re: Help me design Plum's new robot!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 11:40 pm

The biggest problem I see with magnets though is a lot of competitions don't use steel floors, and that immediately makes magnets useless. With vacuums you'll be able to operate on any smooth surface.

As far as CuddleBunny's performance goes, I think it could push full 100+ lb boxes around with ease.
Back to top Go down

Help me design Plum's new robot!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next