Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

A Whyachi-Killer if you will..

Go down 
+8
Alex Mattaway
jeeves_m_d
Jeff L
Dan Curhan
rjw
MikeNCR
Cody
Will Bales
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

People Skills : 6134
Registration date : 2009-03-15

A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. Empty
PostSubject: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 2:15 am

Okay.. We designed this switch.. it weighs 17.6 g, or .62 oz. with hardware (too much of it in fact..). The main housing is .5" and .9375" long, with .375" long contacts. Housing is Delrin, contacts are Copper. The Whyachi switch is 1 oz., so I feel that we defeated our goal. Without a whole bunch of information, would you buy one? would you use it in a robot? why or why not? Thanks for the input!

A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. Pictur20

and the pretty version without the separation lines..
A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. Pictur21
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7783
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 2:59 am

me made our own lexan switch once but it was a monster.
It looks good but the only way to really get those answers is to prove the switch
make one up with all your fancy tools will lol put it in that thing with a vacuum and toss it around a little with that other demented looking thing you call a robot Razz
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 7:25 am

we'll have something by next week. And thanks for abusing our bots! Smile.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7783
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 12:38 pm

what are the plans for mounting?
Back to top Go down
MikeNCR
super contributor
super contributor
MikeNCR

People Skills : 5803
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 2:33 pm

I'd be happy to test two in Mr. Self Destruct. (weapon and drive power are isolated)

As far as mounting, a bit of properly applied shoe-goo should do the trick.
Back to top Go down
http://nearchaos.net
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 3:02 pm

ya.. we've got a mounting bracket designed.. I'll cad it up and put it on the picture.. hopefully we'll get an opportunity to make these.. maybe we could send a couple your way!
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7736
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 5:43 pm

Will Bales wrote:
ya.. we've got a mounting bracket designed.. I'll cad it up and put it on the picture.. hopefully we'll get an opportunity to make these.. maybe we could send a couple your way!

We'd be interested as well

Our bots hit the roof a lot, so we are a good test bed for durability...lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 8:00 pm

haha I'll see if we can make a "Beta Batch" and send them around!
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6338
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 8:24 pm

count me in! lol
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 10:30 pm

Okay, We also are working on a flat switch. This is what we came up with. The main housing is made of Delrin again, and the contacts are still Copper. The main housing has outer dimensions of .875" by 1.1875" by .25" thick. It will weigh 10 grams total (not including mounting screws which are 10-32 size), only a little more than half the weight of the Cylindrical Version. What do you think??

A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. Pictur22
Back to top Go down
MikeNCR
super contributor
super contributor
MikeNCR

People Skills : 5803
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 11:05 pm

Looks nice. What's the intended wire attachment method?
Back to top Go down
http://nearchaos.net
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 12:22 am

My computer spazzed and so I lost the file for the main housing. I redrew the entire thing, and It came out a little bit nicer, and 2 grams lighter! Go Figure! so, at 8 grams, this is simply awesome.. If this works, I'm going to get the parts made for 100 units in China. maybe I'll have something for people to buy and try out by the end of the month!

A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. Pictur23

A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. Pictur24
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 12:37 am

I did this just for kicks. It's a Whyachi MS05 switch next to the two that we've designed. It's a good way to size up this switch.. I was surprised myself, especially because I'm holding the Whyachi in my hand at the moment..

A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. Pictur25
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 12:43 am

Have you made any prototypes yet?

If you need some let me know.....I can contribute. Plus I probably have the delrin and copper already.

one note : on the flat switch, you might want to rethink it a little....if you bolt that to anything solid and conductive, the wires will be up against the conductive, or body bound by tape or heat shrink.
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 12:57 am

ya.. trying to rethink where the terminals are.. maybe you can solder to it.. I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the offer! I actually ordered all of the stock already, but I appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 1:03 am

Soldering to it is the way to go, but you might need a little clearance betwen the copper and the mounting surface for safety reasons.

either an insulator or increasing the thickness between the copper and mounting surface a bit might help....just some thoughts.

I designed and built a pretty nice cnc mill with 6 station automatic toolchanger and flood coolant, so stuff like this is pretty easy.

we are having some enclosures built for them at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 1:13 am

cool

for the terminals.. ya. some kind of insulation would be nice.. but shrink tubing would probably do it. also, you could bend the terminals so that they don't hit your mounting surface. the idea behind this was to be able to mount it to a side or top or bottom, and use as little space as possible..
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 1:18 am

I think you're missing my point....

If you solder to the terminals or bolt or whatever and you use 10 or 12 gauge wire, the solder joint or whatever even with heat shrink on it will be rubbing against where you mount it, which if it is a conductive material such as alu, you could have a problem with shorting out to the mounting surface.

that's one of the reasons why the wyachi has its terminals so far from any edge of the switch body.

btw: Is your switch spring loaded?
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 1:20 am

you could always just solder to the other side! Smile

this one isn't spring loaded.. but the way it works really wouldn't allow it.. isn't really necessary
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6546
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 1:23 am

rjw wrote:
Have you made any prototypes yet?

If you need some let me know.....I can contribute. Plus I probably have the delrin and copper already.

one note : on the flat switch, you might want to rethink it a little....if you bolt that to anything solid and conductive, the wires will be up against the conductive, or body bound by tape or heat shrink.
What if the thin one's tabs were bent upwards 90 degrees?

EDIT: lol, didn't look before posting. But you could still include that in the final design.

Last edited by Jeff L on Fri May 29, 2009 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 1:24 am

Will Bales wrote:
you could always just solder to the other side! Smile

this one isn't spring loaded.. but the way it works really wouldn't allow it.. isn't really necessary

I saw the holes and it led me to believe that one would pass the wire thru it or a screws or whatever if soldering wasn't used.

I'm sure you'll figure it out and do it right. Smile
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 1:45 am

I sure hope so! Wink It will solve itself.. as far as I'm concerned, since there's so many ways to do it, I'll just leave that decision up to the user!
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 11:41 am

Will Bales wrote:
I sure hope so! Wink It will solve itself.. as far as I'm concerned, since there's so many ways to do it, I'll just leave that decision up to the user!

one word of advice

get an air tight waiver of liability and/or ways to cover yourself in the event of an accident...standard stuff when dealing with items to be used on a dangerous end product.

for example: what if someone were to get badly hurt by a bot with your switch on it
talk to dad, i'm sure he know all about it

even if not related to your switch, lawyers go for the deep pockets

good luck with it

jmho
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 1:56 am

I got an opportunity to machine one of the housings, and I'm really pleased with the result! The housing weighs 2 grams, and the screws that hold it together add another .3 grams, then the top and the contacts I need to make and measure. Turns out that the Whyachi MS05 actually weighs 30 grams instead of the 25.4 grams that make up an ounce (which they say it weighs, which is true as long as it only reads in ounces Smile ). So this will really be a lot lighter than the Whyachi, cheaper, and hopefully works just as good! We'll see.. the copper stock comes Tuesday, and the Hex Broach (EXPENSIVE!!! 103 bucks for a 1/8" hex broach?!?!?!?!) will come then too. So, by Thursday I should have a working prototype!

The machining took less than 7 minutes, and I could have gone faster! much faster...
A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. Machin10

Just To give you a prospective of how big this thing actually is. that's the final height of the entire switch assembly.. yea..
A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. Height10

Oh, and the foot print of the switch is actually a little smaller than the Whyachi! TAKE THAT!!
A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. Size_c10
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

People Skills : 6022
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 2:18 pm

so how much u planning on selling these for???
Back to top Go down
http://lsrobotics.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Whyachi-Killer if you will..
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next