Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

summer projects

Go down 
+4
Alan Dreher
Will Bales
SenaiERI
Dan Curhan
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6368
Registration date : 2009-03-14

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 10:10 pm

I know I'm building at least an antweight this summer... is anyone else gonna be doing anything interesting?
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
SenaiERI
mega contributor
mega contributor
SenaiERI

People Skills : 5958
Registration date : 2009-03-15

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Low on time and got a low budget? How about building your very own cannon?   summer projects I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 5:26 am

So I was bored today, (already you're saying "oh crap this ain't good") and for some reason I decided to go into the uncharted territory of my closet, where I discovered various pieces of pvc lying around. Instantly I thought, "CANNON!" So that's what I did. Razz

As of right now, I have only fired "A" blank because I had calculus homework and I knew this would keep me distracted for too long. Buuuut, I did fire "A" blank. A single blank. Funny story behind that.

So I live in an apartment complex with no fields or anything like that in the immediate area. Excited with my new toy, I was anxious to test it out, but I did not take notice of how much fuel I was putting in. I go onto my patio and take aim at the roof, BOOM! I fire it and nearly crap my pants because of the noise. I've been around some pretty good explosions but this really surprised me. Anyway, about a second after I fire it, my downstairs neighbor comes screaming out of her apartment, "WHAT WAS THAT! WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!" and I'm sitting directly above her scared sh*tless. Apparently she thought it was a bomb or something, but I hit the deck so no one could see me (or call the cops on me). But as I peeked over the ledge I could see a bunch of people, confused, looking all around for the source. Luckily the walls of our property echo the sound so it looks like it's coming from every direction.
IT WAS SO COOL!

summer projects Img_1513

summer projects Cannon10

Last edited by SenaiERI on Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.SenaiEngineering.om
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6368

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 10:04 am

hahahaha senai, you would... that sounds like so much fun! great story... hahahhaa
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

People Skills : 6164

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 4:17 pm

Well, I'm going to build an electric jetski.
Back to top Go down
SenaiERI
mega contributor
mega contributor
SenaiERI

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 1:58 am

I started to look into putting a motor on my bike, but I was quickly discouraged because of the price. I found a setup I liked and I had picked out the motor, but it turned out to be a $300 project. $500 if I wanted it done right. But I never ride my bike anyway.

I need to find something to occupy my time this summer. Anybody have any projects I could do?

SenaiERI

P.S. Hey Cody, I think my cannon could kick your cannon's booty.
In fact, I just might use my cannon to fire your cannon at Will's jetski. cheers
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 2:20 am

you wouldn't be able to aim fast enough! Smile
Back to top Go down
Alan Dreher
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 5722

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 11:38 am

I will be getting my complete designs together for my 15 lb bot, and at some point making an ant-weight... Just not yet. Not to mention I will be attempting(not necessarily succeeding) to make a fully functional Game Design Toolset in C#(XNA) so that I can potentially start an XNA Club at school. I have some very big ambitions in regards to the functionality of the toolset(All of which would make it much easier for non-programmers to jump into XNA), and I will definitely be looking into the documentation to see if there is any easier ways to do everything... Not expecting much but whatever. I expect that to take up an entire month(conservative and extremely hopeful estimate). And that would only be getting it to minimum functionality... Additional features would need to be added at a later date..
Back to top Go down
http://alandreher.blogspot.com
SenaiERI
mega contributor
mega contributor
SenaiERI

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 2:04 pm

Speaking of my cannon incident, I have a similar story involving a campus courtyard full of students having lunch, and a howitzer randomly firing blanks with no warning to the students. I'll let you use your imagination to figure out what happened.

In case you're not familiar with the power of a howitzer, let me explain. I happened to be looking at a row of trees, perfectly planted in a straight line when it was fired. The howitzer was so powerful, I actually saw the shock wave bend the 50' trees and take a take a lot of leaves off the branches.

Now that's power.

SenaiERI
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7813
Registration date : 2009-03-16

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 10:52 pm

Its hard to tell about how big yours is but ill have to post a picture of mine, you may have a cannon but i have a bazooka Laughing
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

People Skills : 6002

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 11:10 pm

A bit off topic, when I read this:
Cody Harris wrote:
Its hard to tell about how big yours is but ill have to post a picture of mine
before I had finished the sentence, that struck me as very inappropriate.

On topic:
I'm gonna be designing my robot and working 7 weeks with Nola and her camps in addition to the Breakthrough thing again. Anybody who wants to visit (if visiting is allowed): it's all on the Carrollton Campus and a little bit at Starbot I believe.
Back to top Go down
SenaiERI
mega contributor
mega contributor
SenaiERI

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 2:12 am

BabyDork wrote:
A bit off topic, when I read this:
Cody Harris wrote:
Its hard to tell about how big yours is but ill have to post a picture of mine
before I had finished the sentence, that struck me as very inappropriate.

HAHA, I was thinking the exact same thing.
Great minds, think alike.
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 2:29 am

lol

ya, I'll also be redesigning Fluffy..

And btw, I was serious about the jetski.
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Prezerdent of Sexxi Cuddlemen
Sean Rubin

People Skills : 5942

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 12:16 pm

Yea...well i built 2 intraluminal gastroplasty devices and saved a pig. And i learned SolidWorks and got SolidWorks Premium for free.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7813

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 3:25 pm

will what are the plans for the jetski?
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 4:20 pm

I'm not sure what the jet ski will end up being, but lipo batteries and a big motor will be part of it!

And Sean, the pigs are already dead.. Sorry..
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5933
Registration date : 2009-06-10

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 5:05 pm

So, Sean, I assume this means you are working at that company in South America already?

Coolness. . .
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 5:37 pm

Will Bales wrote:
I'm not sure what the jet ski will end up being, but lipo batteries and a big motor will be part of it!

And Sean, the pigs are already dead.. Sorry..

Well if the pig was alive...i would have saved it. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 5:38 pm

rdubard wrote:
So, Sean, I assume this means you are working at that company in South America already?

Coolness. . .

Yea. The lab I'm working in is not in South America tho. Its in downtown. They go to South America to test the devices on baboons.
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5933
Registration date : 2009-06-10

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Hah! that's funny--I thought you were actually going to Peru or someplace to intern. Either way, it's WAAAY cool. I really wish such things were available to me when I was your age. I would say 'make the most of it,' but 1) I know you will anyway and 2) It sounds too much like some grownup giving advice.

I will say this: be prepared for everyone asking for detailed rundown of the experience--I know I'm gonna want to hear all about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

summer projects Empty
PostSubject: Re: summer projects   summer projects I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

summer projects
Page 1 of 1