Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Weening period for the little bots ??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7765
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Weening period for the little bots  ?? Empty
PostSubject: Weening period for the little bots ??   Weening period for the little bots  ?? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 7:22 pm

Well, even a good plan can have it's setbacks

No time for any detailed updates or video or anything, so here's a quickie for anyone interested.

Sting:

In testing the drum, I wacked a 4 pound block of aluminum and sheared the screws holding on one of the blades...the blade is gone...it flew away and never could be found...also blew up 2 of 4 bearings in the drum.

the good news is that the alu block survived...haha just kidding...it did fly away tho...about 2 or 3 feet up and over...drum was at just over half speed and I charged it....lol...put a nastly cut into the alu block as well

So, better bearings, bigger screws, etc ....have brought back the weight issues..... I am making a few sets of S7 blades and they will be heat treated tomorrow...

The better bearings also spin better, so amperage draw has dropped and batteries are happier

All in all, I should be maybe 1 gram under....again

Son of Thump:

Some minor weening going on here as well...The wedge belt keeps jumping a tooth, so we are going to a stronger belt/pulley setup, which is also heavier, so SOT will also be VERY close to 1 gram under...haha.

Also managed to fry a couple of motors while breaking in and truing the wheels....

We are making NEW engraved top covers for both bots

So...we are busy little bees with our little bots.....hopefully we'll make it for Saturday...but not sure

Will hopefully post a few pics before we leave....in that the bots should look pretty good...no telling what they'll look like afterwards....waaaah...???
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6367
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Weening period for the little bots ??   Weening period for the little bots  ?? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 11:02 pm

hahaha hooray last-minute setbacks!
you think you're sooo close, then BAM!

I have a similar story with conundrum lol. I had everything working, then I broke the red wire in my PWM leads coming off my thunderbird. I soldered it back on, and then when I snipped off the tip of my solder glob, I inadvertently broke off the component hiding behind the pwm connection... so i need a new thunderbird. Not quite as bad as you lol but still...

Aaaand I'm still 10g overweight! Sad
It's ALL coming out of the drum tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7765
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Weening period for the little bots ??   Weening period for the little bots  ?? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 1:00 am

The good, bad and the ugly....hahaha

I'm not even mentioning the snerfs like what you're going through

I've got 1 bot wanting to turn right instead of going straight...all of a sudden...

Finally got the drum back together and now the whole bot shakes like crazy...except at full drum speed....lol I managed to unbalance it somehow...boooooooo!!

things are slowly getting sorted out.......baaah waaaaah!!

But, I need to start driving the drumbot....I have hardly any stick time and the comp is on Saturday

Sting is heavy......My scale fluctuates between 2.999 and 3.001 pounds...with a fan blowing near the scale...lol

Amazing how both bots are within several grams of 3 pounds...as per design
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weening period for the little bots ??   Weening period for the little bots  ?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weening period for the little bots ??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Battlebots :: Team Update Pages :: Ready to Rumble combat robots-
Jump to: