Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Will is plotting again!

Go down 
+5
rjw
rdubard
Cody
That Guy
Will Bales
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

People Skills : 6175
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Will is plotting again! Empty
PostSubject: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 9:17 pm

Top Speeds of Shells in 15 pounders:

Dethinator - 2250 rpm
Tornado Mini - ~1500 rpm

hmmm... very slow...

Last edited by will bales on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
That Guy

People Skills : 6013
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 8:15 pm

Is this called "Will is plotting again!" because you plan to make a faster one?
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 8:33 pm

shhh!!! maybe... I'm thinking that if we have enough freshies, since they have to rebuild something, they should rebuild Hefferbot, and Uberschnitzel.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7824

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 12:58 am

im thinking someone needs to build a reliable/sick FBS i tried convincing alex, no go tho, just think belt drive!
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 1:51 am

Trust me, Cody. If I want to build a BAMF FBS, I WILL DO IT. Twisted Evil

And on a totally random note, I just printed out, double sided, the ENTIRE Riobotz Combot Tutorial 367 pages double sided is a lot of paper, and a lot of hole punching! I'm happy I did it though. the Kinkos online thing wouldn't take it! lol Lots of stuff in this thing.
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5944
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 5:33 am

About the RioBotz 'book'--bring it to school on Monday--I have the pdf somewhere as well--we need to get the whole team looking at it regularly this year.

Oh, and by 'rebuild' do you mean a complete, from the ground up, replace everything from scratch, might-as-well-be-a-new-bot rebuild? Cuz yer makin me nervous.

But I do love it that you think big.

ps-cramp (mostly) and calkins showed a lot of enthusiasm about the ROV. Only prob--Engr is 7th and 8th, but their classes all end by 6th. Sad I guess we will just have to get creative on our time management--maybe make use of some web communication methods.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7777
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 11:27 am

The Riobotz tutorial is definitely a must read for all students involved in combat robots.

Should hopefully improve the quality of future bots study

Last edited by rjw on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7777
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 11:42 am

Cody Harris wrote:
im thinking someone needs to build a reliable/sick FBS i tried convincing alex, no go tho, just think belt drive!

Do you mean as opposed to friction?

I have some vague pictures of the inerds of Ziggo, but what about Megabyte?

Anyone have any pics of the internals...or are there better ones out there

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 12:16 pm

yeah, senai and matt showed an innovative side to friction drive this year i think but it still wasnt quite effective. Look at how all the large FBS are belt driven shells, sure hard to do in a 15, i just dont thing anyones trying hard enough lol
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6587
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 2:52 pm

rdubard wrote:
the ROV
I'm guessing this is for use in the bay? If so, there's some really good info on how to modify bilge pumps to make very efficient thrusters online (google: DIY ROV + bilge pumps [both images & web search]). You might even be able to open the motor housing on a pump and switch the motors out for something a little more powerful. If you want I can make a list of features on some of the better ROVs out there (ex: best camera for the job, best thrusters, best overall design(s), etc).

Also: http://rollette.com/rovrev2/index.html
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Prezerdent of Sexxi Cuddlemen
Sean Rubin

People Skills : 5953

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 4:50 pm

I am gonna build an FBS for Gulliver with Will's brother, Max. Hopefully we can add something 'secret' into it as well.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 12:44 am

its ooo so secretive
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 1:28 am

We've got stuff for the ROV..

Sean's secret is that he wants to put a vacuum unit in it, but I don't think he can make it fit!

As far as Hefferbot goes, I'm not positive. It would be really great if we could do a "start from scratch" edition.. New shell, new innards, new shell drive approach. However, I understand that this isn't super practical.. Maybe what we do, is that we have the Freshies rebuild Uberschnitzel, which Tyler and I would like to see happen, and we merge Hefferbot and X-Revolution, and make one state-of-the-art; the best 15 pound FBS there ever was. Win's gonna be all alone, because Alice is moving to Australia, or something like that. The happy couple is being split by Continents and Hemispheres! Like I said, not sure yet.. just brainstorming. I think it's about time that somebody makes an amazing FBS.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 1:52 am

im pretty sure every one knew what the secret was
even bloomsburg tried and failed its a tough task, not one i would put apon freshies
Back to top Go down
SenaiERI
mega contributor
mega contributor
SenaiERI

People Skills : 5969

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 9:44 pm

Ok first off, who says "freshies?" It's freshman or freshmeat or some other names I can't say online.
...freshies? psh.

Anyway, I would welcome another FBS next year with open arms. I would go as far as to say i'd be happy to help Will in anyway possible, but i'm pretty sure he's past my level of knowledge already. But I will warn you, that this year i have plenty of time to redesign TM and I think you're going to be impressed with what we've got.

...and i do mean we.

Last edited by SenaiERI on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.SenaiEngineering.om
Sean Rubin
Sean Rubin

People Skills : 5953

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 11:20 pm

SenaiERI wrote:
Ok first off, who says "freashies?" It's freashman or freashmeat or some other names I can't say online.
...freashies? psh.

Umm...no one says "freashies" or "freashmeat" or "freashmen" or "freashman". It freshman...F-R-E-S-H.
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 11:31 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6587

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 11:51 pm

At Ransom, any freshman in robotics can and probably will be referred to as a minion. (or at least they were in my time) Why minion, you ask? Let's look at the situation:

1. The team meets in a room that is effectively underground - a lair, if you will.
2. The team's purpose is to build engines of terrible destruction, and unleash them to crush any opposition.
3. Some team members have been interested in sharp objects more than is considered normal.
4. If a fluffy white cat was available, I'm certain the president of the club would be given the duty of bringing it to competition to do nothing but sit in a suitably imposing chair while stroking said cat.
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6379

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 8:32 am

We, Senai? This better be good lol
I have no idea when/how I'm gonna get my team up and running here at cmu... first day of classes was yesterday and it seems overwhelmingly big....
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 5:16 pm

cmu, yeah its pretty big lol
considering im changing campuses next fall idk if im gonna put an effort into building a bot this year
Back to top Go down
SenaiERI
mega contributor
mega contributor
SenaiERI

People Skills : 5969

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:18 pm

Wow, well I just made a complete @$$ of myself.
Thank you Mr. Edit button.

And Mike, classes will be overwhelming, but maybe this can help. "It's easier to stay ahead of the class, than it is to catch up." If we wait till the last minute we tend to cram and skip a lot of stuff.
My prof said that in class today and I thought it was a good quote.

Good luck with classes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SenaiEngineering.om
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will is plotting again!   Will is plotting again! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will is plotting again!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Battlebots :: Team Update Pages :: RE Robotics-
Jump to: