Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jip9

People Skills : 5484
Registration date : 2009-04-26

Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive Empty
PostSubject: Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive   Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 12:29 pm

Hey, I am currently thinking about making a 15 lb. beater. I am going to use two motors with either one Colson wheel or bane bot wheel attached to each motor. Also note that the drive train is going to be staggered meaning that there will be one motor in the front and one motor in the back. Also, the wheels and motors are going to be on the inside of the robot so that is why i am doing a staggered configuration. My question is do you think it would make more sense to just use two wheels or should I do 4 wheel drive using pulleys and belts. I really need help on this one!

Thanks,
JP
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

People Skills : 6052
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive   Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 9:40 pm

Hey JP,
In my opinion i'd go with 4 wheel because u have the pulleys there any wayz due to the fact of staggered drive

And another thing you may consider is the idea of 6 wheel drive. not to often use but it seems to work for Sewer Snake by team plumb crazy robotics which would still allow staggered drive
Back to top Go down
http://lsrobotics.blogspot.com
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

People Skills : 6164
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive   Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:30 pm

I agree! 4 wheel drive keeps all the weight on wheels, giving you more traction. 2 wheels and skids only puts some of the weight on the wheels, sometimes less than half.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7813
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive   Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:41 pm

4 wheel beaters are alot easier to drive
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5933
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive   Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:43 am

I have seen two wheels staggered (i.e. no belts, just wheels on the gearbox shafts) drive just fine, even though it would seem to present some weird sort of spinning motion (it just doesn't, don't ask me why). If weight and/or space is critical, then this might be the best way to go.

However, any non-driven contact with the floor reduces traction on the driven contact (think about weight distribution). So two wheel drive cannot out-push 4 wheel drive, all else being equal. If winning a pushing match is critical, then 4-wheel-drive is key.

I also think 4 wheel drive robots turn easier and are generally more responsive. Which may be the most important issue.

In my opinion, and I think most folks here would agree, ultimately control is the most important factor in winning matches. So I say go with 4 wheel (or 6, or 8 for that matter) wheel drive, just make sure everything that touches the ground is powered.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive   Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive
Page 1 of 1