Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now

Go down 
+15
Stephen
Ryan McKinney
SamM
Josh Raichel
SenaiERI
Don Doerfler
Koolaid64
Frisco
rdubard
rjw
Jeff L
Dan Curhan
Cody
Will Bales
jeeves_m_d
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

People Skills : 6044
Registration date : 2009-04-21

LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 7:22 pm

crowconor wrote:
yah to be honest if we werent done with the bot afer this year i would be redesigning the horns, their a pain, not just saying that so you dont use them, theres a better way to do it
Why are you guys retiring the bull? its proven to be an awesome bot that has kicked lolcano booty repeatedly

and if you don't mind me asking what would be such a far better way to do it?(if its top secret i understand)

also turtle were you one of the judges on saturday?
Back to top Go down
http://lsrobotics.blogspot.com
turtle
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 5036
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 7:25 pm

my senior year was the first year we did the bull and the team i had then has mostly graduated other than my brother. when he graduates none of the original team will be left and our team likes to bring a variation of a design every competition the bull is pretty optimized so its logical to retire it with the last of the original team leaving the high school
Back to top Go down
crowconor

crowconor

People Skills : 5017
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 7:37 pm

im the senior cheers , the way we look at it is why have someone drive a bot and take care of it when they know nothing themselves, they will have to design one from scratch and learn to write code and mill it themselves
Back to top Go down
turtle
big contributor
big contributor

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 7:40 pm

hence the failure of a sophomore team that was the Rhino who also didnt take our advice and try to use somethin other than horns
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7805
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 7:44 pm

I posted on a debate about active weapons and not about the competition. Jeeves is a excellent addition to this forum. He's constantly coming up with new ideas and comes here looking for and giving advice. Look through his post, he usually explains the situation, maybe gives a picture and ask for suggestions. Look at one of your recent threads "hey how fast does everyone spin there weapons, I wanna compare it to ours". Maybe explain your weapon and what it spins at and ask for comparisons of others. This is a big reason the lolcano thread is 12 pgs and yours maybe got 6 replies. Posting threads in the right place always helps too.

Jeeves I like the newest idea. I would probably round off the sharp points on the horns. Just seems like the would get hung up on the seems of the arena (and the MA arenas arent even bad). Im guess your planning on sitcking with the big wheels. That design would be pretty cool with a three wheel design like the minnesota full body drum.
Back to top Go down
turtle
big contributor
big contributor

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 7:46 pm

i can say from personal experience that you will without a doubt have problems with those horns
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 7:54 pm

If i can get my 4 wheel square boxes to work I will try them out... but I dont expect to because there is just too much friction every where! and switching to connecting them with belts is a real hassle.

Thats why i like the huge wheels because there a ten less things that could possibly fail.

Actually the more i think about it, i could always run with out any side plates because the wheels themselves would prevent the beater from hitting the arena wall. Instead i may use the weight to make a wedge plate that would attach to the shaft. A really big hinged wedge.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Do you think spinning the beater would also cause it to roll forward? well i guess backwards lol
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Well i guess the wedge plate would be locked to the shaft, and the hinge motion would come from the wheels pivoting relative to the ground?

but yes right now with out the side plates/wedge when we turn the beater on it rolls backwards suprisingly fast
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 9:07 pm

I'm still not completly sure how you have your drive setup but I'd have to imagine that it could be fairly simple to make a wedge that clamps to your shaft.
For some reason it has me thinking about wills ROFL
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 11:25 pm

In concept it is identical to rofl, the only real difference is that i have wheels instead of of arms...

in other new, Hopefully this neater electronics arrangement should prevent future self inflicted reciever ejection
LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 Ger10
Back to top Go down
crowconor

crowconor

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 12:35 pm

wow i really like the design of that, did you have a problem with rolling with the square sides at BATM? i would even try to use a piece of thin sheet metal, like .030, or something and wrap that around the electronics part. then drill and tap some wholes to put on there, bending sheet metal makes it very strong, i think you would be pleased with that
Back to top Go down
turtle
big contributor
big contributor

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 1:49 pm

plus with the sheet metal youd make the electronics way safer from both self ejection and direct hits
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 3:59 pm

We wanted to wrap, we actually have a wrap of steel made already

its just that the way it was b4 we just stuffed all the electronics in whereever they looked like they fit, and wasted alott of that internal space.

essentially the thing looked like a mess of wires, and you had to unplug the battery to charge it. And that meant removing the wrap, which in a design like this is hard to do.

With this neater arangement i have room to add a charge port for quick plug ins that wont require untangling everything to get at the battery.

Adding charge ports in our bots have been a life saver, it weighs just a few ounces and prevents plenty of mistakes.
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 6:57 am

the render is so much prettier when its big!!!!
http://buildersdb.com/botpics/8128.jpg
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 3:21 pm

So I am really considering going against everything I have said and switching to a drum with roller bearings rather than the beaters with bushings I have now
Back to top Go down
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

People Skills : 5921
Registration date : 2009-07-05

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 4:44 pm

not a bad change, would def protect the inners better.
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 3:50 pm

So these Roller bearings are AWESOME compared to by older bushings, the beater just keeps spinning and spinning.

Since we are still waiting for the drum parts to finally get here, Lolcano is be put on the back burner so we can finish the FBS.
Back to top Go down
crowconor

crowconor

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 8:34 pm

hows your bots doing? you guys are going to be coming to the rally right?
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 8:38 pm

ugh, we have really been focusing on the FBS design so not much progress...

we switched the beater bar to roller bearings which has proven to be a great move

fortified the internals and reshaped the battery pack to fit better like the picture i had posted earlier

but its still in pieces right now.

We will definetly be at Ralley, but motorama keeps looking iffy Sad

on the other hand the FBS looks badass, pics will be uploaded on monday when we install the new motors
Back to top Go down
crowconor

crowconor

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 8:55 pm

nice, that would suck if you miss motorama. i wish we could've gone to motorama but it wasnt feasible for us, good luck though! i cant wait to see the pics.

haha what do i mean..

Last edited by crowconor on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
turtle
big contributor
big contributor

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 8:56 pm

he means wasn't feasible
Im excited to see the new pics too slash to see lolcano at the rally
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 10:19 pm

i guess i shouldn't say moto is iffy, because we already payed for it so we HAVE to go...

what i meant was idk if lolcano will be ready in current form we may have to pull one of the older frames out of storage, but that call won't be made till monday night
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 12:33 am

Do you guys have plans for when your leaving/getting to harrisburg so on?

I'm really looking forward to getting away from school and enjoying myself, especially after this week and since next isnt looking to promising either haha
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 7:06 am

we intend to leave right after school friday(3:30ish) and arrive in harrisburg around 10-11pm that night.
obviously we will arrive too late to see any of the antweight or fairyweights fight that day so we will just go straight to the hotel.

as for the return trip, we will be leaving sunday as soon as it ends(5ish im thinking) with hopes of being home by midnight.

7 hour drive with 7 people and 3 robots in a honda odyssey....sounds fun
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now   LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now - Page 8 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LOLCANO 3 or 4 who knows wat # we are up to now
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Battlebots :: Team Update Pages :: Lincoln-Sudbury High School-
Jump to: