Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

October 24th competition in Miami...who's going?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7736
Registration date : 2009-03-31

October 24th competition in Miami...who's going? Empty
PostSubject: October 24th competition in Miami...who's going?   October 24th competition in Miami...who's going? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 9:32 am

So who is going to this and what bots are you bringing?

MLEC is trying to get our 2 rattlers up and running and 1 or 2 TTATT's...

Also, does anyone have any Banebots 550 motors? they are out of stock till November

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5903
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: October 24th competition in Miami...who's going?   October 24th competition in Miami...who's going? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 6:26 am

The Ransom team is obviously going. . .since it is at our Middle School Gym. I wish we had been comfortable with publicizing this event sooner and more, but we felt that it wasn't our place to do so. And then Nola & Bill had both personal (mom with heart trouble) and professional (Starbot's 'home' is being sold) challenges which made it unrealistic for them to do much. Anyway, I hope we aren't the only team there!

Our lineup:

Fluffy is mildly redesigned and will be there, unless some unexpected disaster strikes.

Cuddlebunny is being worked on . . . it will be entered, even if it's not 100%. It should be able to self-right after being flipped over, so it's really a matter of durability. The wheels still need armor!

Bearkin, which is this year's version of Timothy Higgens, is waiting on a part to be hardened, but should be there. The new weapon speed controllers, hardened tool steel weapon bar, LiPo batteries, and wheel armor are all expected to make it much closer to it's potential.

There is a triangle-shaped wedgebot, with spring steel armor that some might remember from 2007 BBIQ Nationals (also was at Youth Fair the past two years), that has had several names. It was originally piloted by Sean Rubin, and now has been picked up by his younger brother Garrett. The freshmen are learning a lot by trying to get it going, so I'm pretty sure it will compete.

Another returning robot is a box. It was called Russian in '07. It actually made it to the top 16 that year, because really, what can go wrong with a box? (other than bursting open and dragging it's entrails around like a gut-shot casualty in a Steven King novel) This one may end up in the Task Oriented competition.

Least likely to make it is a late resurrection of X-temination, the crazy drum (which was the first with an internal motor) that Will Bales took to Nats 07. Two really enthusiastic Seniors, who are also newbies to the team, picked it up and have been working hard to get it ready. The first change they made was to move the motor back out of the drum. . .

"We" have one new robot in the works (the odd little thing that Will has posted on recently--truthfully it isn't a Ransom robot in that he is building and funding it all out of his house), and with such a simple design, it is very likely to be ready,
and comical.

Again, I really, really hope that more teams have had enough advance notice to make this thing a success--it would be silly for it to be a two-school event.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: October 24th competition in Miami...who's going?   October 24th competition in Miami...who's going? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 am

Nola cc'd a few people in her latest email, so hopefuly Carrolton and some others will show up...I hope

MLEC only has Rattler 2 wedge and Ttatt (wedge)..that look like they might be ready.

Rattler 1 (drum) is being worked on, but not sure if they'll get it finished in time.

Ttat's drum is NOT going to make it....

Bob....I look forward to finally meeting you in person....and everyone else, of course.

I would have your students bring the unfinished bots as well....maybe we could have group brainstorming and/or show and tell along with some idea sharing..it can't hurt..???
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6546
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: October 24th competition in Miami...who's going?   October 24th competition in Miami...who's going? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 12:58 pm

Nice. If Dughi hasn't put in an announcement, he should. After all, with the competition being at the middle school you guys could get a pretty good turnout.
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

People Skills : 6134
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: October 24th competition in Miami...who's going?   October 24th competition in Miami...who's going? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 12:43 am

I agree, Jeff. It's also Homecoming, so that MAY work to our advantage.

Well, this morning I cut my thumb open, so my right thumb is out of commission.. HOWEVER, everything WILL be finished in time.
Fluffy's Drum, the hardest part, is pretty much ready to go. I just want to double check the balancing, but other than that, we're gold on the drum. I need to rewire the thing because the Tekin ESC's bit the dust this weekend while we were working on it. Also, we still want to put floating wedges on the front, so if we have time to spare, We'll be doing that.
ROFL, the silly-bot, should make it. At this point, we need to drill 42 holes, countersink 18 of them, and tap 18 of them. After that, we need to wrap the tube in a rubbery substance, and wire it up. The holes will be the time-consuming part.
Like I said, It all will be finished in time, but my Friday is probably going to be a little bit busier than I was planning on.. Very Happy Meanwhile, Joey Daoud is trying to film the completion of each! This all should make for an interesting week for me!

Richard, I do have some 550's.. when do you need them?
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: October 24th competition in Miami...who's going?   October 24th competition in Miami...who's going? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 11:19 am

It's Not happening?????

Again !!

and I was looking forwar to seeing some LIVE robot battles on Saturay....
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5903
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: October 24th competition in Miami...who's going?   October 24th competition in Miami...who's going? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 6:44 am

We are all very disappointed, but Oct 24 will most definitely NOT be the day for a battlebot, or taskbot competition in Miami.

Nola & Bill, in addition to running Starbot and BotsIQ (or whatever it's called these days), also are the primary caregivers for both of Bill's parents. Inevitably, these responsibilities will sometimes make demands that cannot be managed all at once. (I have always been amazed at how much they can and do manage--there simply would not be battlebots in Miami without them.) This coming weekend turned out to be exactly one of those 'perfect storms,' and so the decision was made to postpone the competition.

Yes, it's a bit of a bummer for us who will not get to play this weekend, and obviously it's significantly more difficult and more serious for Bill and Nola.

But, as for me, I'm looking on the bright side--this gives us more time for:
Will's thumb to heal
Miami teams to finish more robots
VOLUNTEERS (students & parents) to jump in and take some of the load off Nola and Bill
Planning and communication to make this a great event
Media coverage? (anybody know anybody in the biz?)

I especially like rjw's suggestion that even incomplete robots could show up (no entry fee there, of course)--I've always wanted to do 'show and tell' instead of documentation. I mean, if you've got some especially cool drawings or calculations done, share 'em, but it's the actual robot and the actual builders that I want to see and talk with (and ask questions, of course)!

At Ransom, the team and the administration are committed to host an event this semester--it may be two weeks, it may be next month, it may take six weeks, but we are gonna do it.

Alan Crockwell has suggested that interested Miami schools grt together for a meeting next week--one teacher, one student per school--to pick a good date and divvy up responsibilities. I am all for this, so expect an email soon.

Regards-
Bob DuBard
Ransom Everglades School
Robotics & Engineering Team coach/faculty coordinator
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 24th competition in Miami...who's going?   October 24th competition in Miami...who's going? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

October 24th competition in Miami...who's going?
Page 1 of 1