Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

The New 120

Go down 
+5
rdubard
Cody
rjw
Dan Curhan
Jeff L
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7758
Registration date : 2009-03-31

The New 120 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 12:49 am

so...how about a picture of this bot of bots...the drum to end all drums.....

btw: we seem to get a bot within a few grams in SW and after it's built ...holy moly..it's within a few grams....actually, we just weigh typical wiring and connectors needed...but we do let sw calculate for the fasteners, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6568
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 1:53 pm

I'll be posting some pictures as soon as the CAD has been finalized (most likely one week from today).

There were a few interesting changes with the overall layout: we're now using a two-wheel drive [which lets us make the whole thing a great deal more compact], and the front corners are ridiculously large ablative armor blocks. There's also great potential for future improvements in terms of components: there's enough space to replace the three NiCad packs with either lithium nanophosphate or lipo packs, with room to spare. Another nice bonus is many gigantic brushless outrunners have the same OD as long mags, the current weapon motor.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:09 am

Lots of little details are being worked out at the moment - it's a combination of parts shopping and design finalization at this point. We'll be heading over to McMaster in not too long (it's local here which means NO SHIPPING COSTS!!!!) for some of our stock, and the rest will be from a variety of online vendors. The most critical parts we're hunting for now are the gears for two Whyachi TWM3M gearboxes - we integrated the gearboxes themselves with the frame to reduce overall size and weight. We're pretty sure Whyachi will be willing to sell us the sets we need.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 12:30 am

Sum of All Fears (incomplete):
The New 120 - Page 2 Soaf10
Conspicuously missing: Pocketing, front-corner ablative blocks (otherwise known as LOTS OF UHMW), the latest drum assembly (changes to teeth, mounting)
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 1:43 am

The full weapon CAD is now nearly complete, fasteners are the only remaining components to be added.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:50 am

The New 120 - Page 2 Soaf_a10
Current build with nearly completed armor & 95% complete drum. Note Gigantor UHMW Ablative Armor (TM) and steel front skids. Also changed is the exterior armor around the wheel, which is now a single piece of material.
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5925
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 5:16 pm

Lookin good!

How much of this is actually made, and how much is changes in the design?

Reason I ask is cuz we got nothin built here at Ransom, but should start buying stuff and machining in the next week.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 7:55 pm

Nothing is physical yet, we're about a week and a half behind schedule. We're currently looking at a fully built robot by March 1st.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 11:04 pm

We've picked up the materials for Sum of all Fears, and as soon as the CAD files are prepped for waterjetting & the HAAS we'll start machining. As a side note, some grades of aerospace aluminum have very interestingly colored coatings/are very interestingly colored. I think we've got a sheet of 2024 that has this dark greyish-blue look to its surface.

Also, let's just say the schedule has shifted somewhat.

EDIT: We're looking to attend the Maker Faire tournament in May, and possibly one of the April tournaments (based on whether we're ready in time or not).
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Weight issues are now mostly taken care of, we figured out we actually don't need the third battery - 5 lbs dropped right there. The first several part files will be ready to be fed into the HAAS & waterjet shortly.
Back to top Go down
RemoteContact

People Skills : 5393
Registration date : 2009-10-15

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 12:59 am

How did you "figure out" that you don't need the third battery? By my math your drive system will digest about 125wh alone in 3 min. Two 24v 3ah battlepacks is 144wh leaving 19wh left for weapon consumption.

Also, if you're paralleling both packs you will not be able to spin up and drive at the same time.

5lbs out of the weapon/something else and into a 3rd battery would increase your effectiveness and endurance significantly.

Current IS torque, voltage alone does not get weapons spinning quickly.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 2:09 pm

We realized no one had actually done any really major calculations on power consumption yet, so we did them and realized we could get away with only two batteries. The reason why we did more in-depth calculations: Touro only uses two batteries (of identical properties to ours AND nearly identical electronics), while some other robots use three. We wanted to know why.

What lets us get away with just two batteries:

1. We're running the drive at no greater than half speed (via transmitter settings) - this both reduces power consumption and means we can actually control the robot instead of having a spastic mess.
2. The weapon can deliver 10 big hits a match (hits that bring the drum to essentially a full stop), which is also the upper limit of how many BIG hits drums deliver in a match. In addition, we don't intend to use the drum for the full match - just the beginning and the end. These are in general the most important times for the judges to see your robot working properly and dealing damage.

EDIT: (Critical assumption on the drive is that the robot is accelerating 50% of total match time)
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 4:30 pm

Sometime this week, the first pieces of metal will hit the waterjet. The majority of the machining will occur during the last week of March/first week of April, and assembly will follow.
Back to top Go down
Jamo_G

Jamo_G

People Skills : 5427
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 11:23 am

actually we should be starting today: Manual mill
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 12:39 am

We did a lot of work this Monday - A few of us did some tag-team work on the weapon shaft (reducing a 1.5" OD steel cylinder closer to the appropriate length), others filed down the waterjetted chassis parts, and another group worked on milling some of the armor pieces. More of the same this Wednesday.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 12:02 pm

Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 12:22 am

Since we won't be attending any competitions this spring/summer, we've halted our progress to allow some of the other parts of RoboJackets (particularly the IGVC [Intelligent Group Vehicle Competition] team) to make better progress on their robots. The current plan is to have the robot done the first week of the Fall 2010 semester, when virtually all the teams we share machines with do no machining whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 6:16 pm

did this one get shelved?
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 8:25 pm

No, it's still moving along. We're seeing if we can get it ready for the October ComBots event.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 2:03 am

scratch study Sleep

A lot of posts about bots that seem to be total or almost total vapor....it would be nice to see you actually finish one of them??? Can we help?
Back to top Go down
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

People Skills : 5921
Registration date : 2009-07-05

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 8:08 am

idk they did a lot of machining with that sharpie bit till it wore out =P
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 6:34 pm

rjw wrote:
scratch study Sleep

A lot of posts about bots that seem to be total or almost total vapor....it would be nice to see you actually finish one of them??? Can we help?

You do realize I'm only one team member working on this thing, right? Add that with a recently ended summer semester during which 90% of the team was not on campus to work on the thing (seeing as many of us are either out of state or not from Atlanta), plus the fact that I'm not going to take photos of a slowly advancing pile of parts until there's actually something worth showing off, AND that Tech is an [in]famously difficult engineering school with a fairly hefty workload, and you can easily see why the build report hasn't moved very much. Sit tight and be patient, it's getting made.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Jeff L wrote:
Nothing is physical yet, we're about a week and a half behind schedule. We're currently looking at a fully built robot by March 1st.

From this and other posts (from January), I kind of assumed that you were actually building a robot in the near future.

I thought that Jamo was on your team...he usually bangs out a robot (albeit small ones) in no time whatsoever.

No big deal to me.....take your time

Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 11:44 pm

A bit more work has taken place on the robot, namely on the exterior armor around the wheel wells (primarily done on the HAAS). Some of our trickier parts are being handed off to the machine shops in the Mechanical Engineering department, which is better equipped to handle some of the more unusual components. One such example is the drum, which we can't reliably machine on club equipment. I believe virtually all of our remaining waterjet work got finished some time this past week though.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Unfortunately, we've had some setbacks that will prevent us from attending the competition this weekend in California. Primarily it's been machining mistakes (some our fault, some not - it's not always obvious when someone moves a vice on a mill and then doesn't indicate it back to 0), but we're definitely still aiming for the February Battlebots competition. If I can remember to, I'll bring a camera next time and get some shots of the chassis.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The New 120   The New 120 - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The New 120
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Battlebots :: Team Update Pages :: Robojackets-
Jump to: