Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Share | 

Money Problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SenaiERI
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 3587
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:40 am

Is anyone having problems getting funding or sponsorships? Seems like this is my robot, and not the schools.

I just might take some parts home with me at the end of the year. (oh that looks shiny)
Back to top Go down
http://www.SenaiEngineering.om
Dan Curhan
Admin

People Skills : 4009
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:44 am

absolutely... my dad has donated almost $1700 to our bot(s) and no one else has even come close. He is also machining parts that I can't do myself, and I designed it and I've done a lot of the work on it... I agree with taking it home lol. I kinda want it for myself... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
SenaiERI
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:04 am

Wow, $1700 is a lot of money. You must have the best dad in the world. No way I could do that on my college budget.

I honestly don't see the problem with keeping it though. Sponsorships are one thing, but if I'm paying for the parts and doing all of the design, machining, and construction, it really is my robot. And maybe it's just me, but I don't see why I can't keep it.

Then again, there's no rule that says I can't keep it. I love being the prez.

Besides, if I were leave it, no one but me would know how to use it. It'd probably end up being a paper weight...BUT A COMPLETELY AWESOME PAPER WEIGHT!

SenaiERI
SenaiERI2@gmail.com
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:12 am

yeahh... he's pretty into it, and wants to see us succeed, so when there's no money, he makes there be money.

but i totally agree with the "no one would know how to use it" thing. I designed it, wired it, assembled it, and three kids watched different parts of the process and two really know how it works mechanically. I'm the only one who REALLY understands the wiring... I try to teach, but I don't know how much they understand. Of everyone on the team (~20), only three besides me are putting any effort into the club. It's kinda frustrating....

And 15 lbs is a really freaking heavy paperweight... Razz
Back to top Go down
SenaiERI
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:25 am

Um, excuse me, my robot will come in at 14.9lb. It's going on a diet, but don't mention it's weight, it's a little sensitive.

Besides, it doubles as a shredder (it's a spinner).

I guess I really can't say I'm the president of the club, because there really is no club. It's me.

Weekly meeting role call is the easiest.

Prez: "Senai?"
Senai: "Present."
Back to top Go down
Alan Dreher
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 3360

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:45 am

Dan Curhan wrote:
yeahh... he's pretty into it, and wants to see us succeed, so when there's no money, he makes there be money.

but i totally agree with the "no one would know how to use it" thing. I designed it, wired it, assembled it, and three kids watched different parts of the process and two really know how it works mechanically. I'm the only one who REALLY understands the wiring... I try to teach, but I don't know how much they understand. Of everyone on the team (~20), only three besides me are putting any effort into the club. It's kinda frustrating....

I understand for the most part. I was just a bit off yesterday... 5 hours of SAT + a 9 hour build + 2 hours of driving around Sarasota county = really long day. And I was tired after the SAT.

You also did a pretty good job color coordinating everything.

But, Senai, don't complain that you are 0.1 pounds underweight right now... Without our actual weapon on, we are just a bit under 15 lbs. We WERE like 16 lbs until yesterday. And if we wanted to make the original design, we would be like 20 lbs.

BTW, Dan, did you ever run it last night?

On Topic - Funding has been an issue. My mom donated basically $1500 worth of Skymiles(6 round trip tickets from Tampa to San Francisco. 4 for the rest of the club(100,000 Skymiles), plus 2 tickets for us[she will be a chaperone]) and $300 cash. Plus she got the Wilde Automotive Group to donate $250. And another ~$100(?) should be coming in on Monday because of some of the candy sales fundraising we did.

We probably aren't doing as bad as some clubs, but without Dan and his father, we would be doomed. I am going to spend the summer preparing myself, in any way possible, to make sure that we aren't doomed next year.
Back to top Go down
http://alandreher.blogspot.com
Dan Curhan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:27 pm

Alan, I think you and Julien are the only ones who get it. Ben helps a lot and tries, but he still needs to go on his own and read and learn more about what we're doing....

But I got it running at 12:30-ish and took videos and stuff :]
It's pretty cool. It's much faster than we thought it would be. I'll post to the blog about it in a little bit.
Back to top Go down
SenaiERI
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:59 pm

Alan Dreher wrote:
Dan Curhan wrote:

I understand for the most part. I was just a bit off yesterday... 5 hours of SAT + a 9 hour build + 2 hours of driving around Sarasota county = really long day. And I was tired after the SAT.

You also did a pretty good job color coordinating everything.

But, Senai, don't complain that you are 0.1 pounds underweight right now... Without our actual weapon on, we are just a bit under 15 lbs. We WERE like 16 lbs until yesterday. And if we wanted to make the original design, we would be like 20 lbs.

BTW, Dan, did you ever run it last night?

On Topic - Funding has been an issue. My mom donated basically $1500 worth of Skymiles(6 round trip tickets from Tampa to San Francisco. 4 for the rest of the club(100,000 Skymiles), plus 2 tickets for us[she will be a chaperone]) and $300 cash. Plus she got the Wilde Automotive Group to donate $250. And another ~$100(?) should be coming in on Monday because of some of the candy sales fundraising we did.

We probably aren't doing as bad as some clubs, but without Dan and his father, we would be doomed. I am going to spend the summer preparing myself, in any way possible, to make sure that we aren't doomed next year.

Alan,

I wasn't complaining, it was joke. Perhaps I should take a break from late night writing on forums, but you should know that that number is a virtual estimate with density and volume calculations, over estimations, etc.

It's great that you guys have your bot running already, but I am behind where I want to be.

1) I need two motors that cost ~$250
2) I have no money to buy batteries or chargers
and 3) My faculty adviser is incredibly slow in getting anything we need, which is why I've been buying things out of my own pocket. But it's ok because I'm putting "Property of Senai" on everything I got.

SenaiERI
Back to top Go down
Alan Dreher
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:27 pm

SenaiERI wrote:

Alan,

I wasn't complaining, it was joke. Perhaps I should take a break from late night writing on forums, but you should know that that number is a virtual estimate with density and volume calculations, over estimations, etc.

It's great that you guys have your bot running already, but I am behind where I want to be.

and 3) My faculty adviser is incredibly slow in getting anything we need, which is why I've been buying things out of my own pocket. But it's ok because I'm putting "Property of Senai" on everything I got.

SenaiERI
Oh. Ok. I understand now. And I wasn't meaning to be rude when I said "don't complain."

I was just saying that we have had weight issues for the past 2 weeks and it has meant lots of long days reducing the weight on everything. We are only just now getting to the point where we are even remotely comfortable... Now comes the process of designing a low weight weapon to stick to our shell...
Back to top Go down
SenaiERI
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:11 pm

Alan Dreher wrote:
SenaiERI wrote:

Alan,

SenaiERI
Oh. Ok. I understand now. And I wasn't meaning to be rude when I said "don't complain."

I was just saying that we have had weight issues for the past 2 weeks and it has meant lots of long days reducing the weight on everything. We are only just now getting to the point where we are even remotely comfortable... Now comes the process of designing a low weight weapon to stick to our shell...

Well I'm sure you guys can make it work. After all, you're last years champions. You guys are the best.

Buuuuut, to make it easy on you guys. How about making a pusher bot. Just to make things simple of course. And I'd be happy to grudge match you to test the structural integrity of it at absolutely no charge.

Of course, I'm just kidding.

SenaiERI
Back to top Go down
Alan Dreher
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:24 pm

SenaiERI wrote:

Well I'm sure you guys can make it work. After all, you're last years champions. You guys are the best.

Buuuuut, to make it easy on you guys. How about making a pusher bot. Just to make things simple of course. And I'd be happy to grudge match you to test the structural integrity of it at absolutely no charge.

Of course, I'm just kidding.

SenaiERI

We will get a weapon on there no matter what. The question is just how we secure the weapon...
We will certainly figure something out, and I am sure Dan and his father have some ideas, but right now that is the last real design issue we have(I think). Now is just debugging and figuring out how to control it.

BTW, have you seen the new blog post with our bot basically running(minus the weapon)?

After watching that and hearing the sound it makes every time it hits something, I have proposed renaming the bot "Hell's Bells." Would be a great name if it still makes that sound spinning at full speed, with the weapon on it, and when the shell is actually tightened
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:30 pm

hahaha push bots are so lame. We like sparks and DAMAGE. Twisted Evil

My dad is just like you, Senai, because he is too impatient to wait for the school's POs to get filled so he just goes out and buys the hardware stuff we need himself.... Also it gives us more control. Here's a story:

Everyone knows Robot MarketPlace. Well, they opened up a retail storefront in Bradenton, about 10 minutes from where our shop is, and about 35 minutes from my house. I have kept pretty good records of everything we've bought from them, and I know how much we've spent. I always use school PO's for them, because they're pretty easy to deal with, and I don't have to front the money. Well. I go in to the school bookkeeper's office to see how much money we have in our account because I'm about to make another purchase order. She prints out our account activity, and starts ranting to me about how we need to be more careful with how we spend money and how we need to stop spending money that we don't have. I look at her, confused, and she shows me the account balance. $-233.16. I just kinda looked at it, because I knew it wasn't right. There were three RobotMarketplace payments, and I had only placed two POs. I pointed it out, and she said that she only paid what we told her. It turns out that RobotMarketplace had invoiced US for an order placed by Riverview (another school in sarasota) for over $800. The bookkeeper has no idea what we buy, she just knows that we buy a lot and so she just pays any invoice she gets...

yeah. So I have a check in my wallet for $854.16 from Robot Marketplace... yikes.

I like just buying stuff outright....

and the little bot's really hard to drive.... but oh so much fun. Razz
Back to top Go down
Alan Dreher
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:42 pm

Dan Curhan wrote:

My dad is just like you, Senai, because he is too impatient to wait for the school's POs to get filled so he just goes out and buys the hardware stuff we need himself.... Also it gives us more control. Here's a story:

Everyone knows Robot MarketPlace. Well, they opened up a retail storefront in Bradenton, about 10 minutes from where our shop is, and about 35 minutes from my house. I have kept pretty good records of everything we've bought from them, and I know how much we've spent. I always use school PO's for them, because they're pretty easy to deal with, and I don't have to front the money. Well. I go in to the school bookkeeper's office to see how much money we have in our account because I'm about to make another purchase order. She prints out our account activity, and starts ranting to me about how we need to be more careful with how we spend money and how we need to stop spending money that we don't have. I look at her, confused, and she shows me the account balance. $-233.16. I just kinda looked at it, because I knew it wasn't right. There were three RobotMarketplace payments, and I had only placed two POs. I pointed it out, and she said that she only paid what we told her. It turns out that RobotMarketplace had invoiced US for an order placed by Riverview (another school in sarasota) for over $800. The bookkeeper has no idea what we buy, she just knows that we buy a lot and so she just pays any invoice she gets...

yeah. So I have a check in my wallet for $854.16 from Robot Marketplace... yikes.

I think we should have a fair amount of money right now. With the donations from club members, along with the sponsorships we just got, plus the $850 from Robot marketplace, I think we are fairly well set...

Time to buy titanium armor for Copperhead.

Also, did you happen to see the slight scheduling change for the 120lb competition? We are done Saturday with packing up and going home for Sunday... But our plane tickets and plans are for Tuesday. So we have an extra day to check out San Francisco. Which should be nice.

They also finalized the location.

And they posted some shipping info on their website. Basically, we are solely responsible for shipping out bot to San Francisco... Not sure if they still have that arranged discount or not, so that may cost more than expected.

Also, buildersdb makes it seem like a large number of the 120 lb bots going to San Franscisco for the High School competition are going to be wedge/flipper bots.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

People Skills : 4296

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:00 pm

@ wedges/flippers: RE Robotics' first 120, SpiderPig, is fortunately neither (as far as I've been told). I'll actually be visiting tomorrow afternoon to see what they've been up to. All I'm allowed to say about SpiderPig as of now is it should be something quite special. Hopefully they haven't been hyping it up and will let me say more about it, the small-scale testbed they made was quite a success.

More on-topic, RE Robotics was lucky enough to be granted a yearly budget of $5K-$6K. We do however have the habbit of building a fleet of 7-8 robots, so we put up some rules about material use and requirements of the members themselves. For example, one rule that I believe was put into effect is each robot's sub-team must pay the entrance fees for their robot; this frees up a LOT of money for more important things, like materials & electronics, and it also gives an incentive to keep a sane proportion of robots to members.

The team has also had the great benefit of simply being in the right place at the right time. Ransom Everglades is one of Miami's top prep schools (oh, and if any of you are familiar with Carrolton's team, Ransom Everglades is their next-door neighbor), which means a lot of the members' parents have some cash to throw around. This year's prime example is one parent (who just so happens to be a mechanical engineer with more patents than you can shake a stick at) donated a brand-new CNC Mill to the team. Still, we aren't always so lucky; the first three years worth of robots had virtually no machining beyond what we could do with a drill press or a dremel. So, we can get by without all the fancy crap when we have to.
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:04 pm

copperhead 2 was totally a garage-bot. We built it entirely in a garage with nothing more sophisticated than the welder and a drill press. I certainly know what that's like. I think that all teams should be required to hack a bot before they get to make one the right way, just so they kind of know what works and what doesn't, and how to design and make a BOT, not a pile of fancy parts...
Back to top Go down
Alan Dreher
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:07 pm

Emissary42 wrote:
@ wedges/flippers: RE Robotics' first 120, SpiderPig, is fortunately neither (as far as I've been told). I'll actually be visiting tomorrow afternoon to see what they've been up to. All I'm allowed to say about SpiderPig as of now is it should be something quite special. Hopefully they haven't been hyping it up and will let me say more about it, the small-scale testbed they made was quite a success.

More on-topic, RE Robotics was lucky enough to be granted a yearly budget of $5K-$6K. We do however have the habbit of building a fleet of 7-8 robots, so we put up some rules about material use and requirements of the members themselves. For example, one rule that I believe was put into effect is each robot's sub-team must pay the entrance fees for their robot; this frees up a LOT of money for more important things, like materials & electronics, and it also gives an incentive to keep a sane proportion of robots to members.

The team has also had the great benefit of simply being in the right place at the right time. Ransom Everglades is one of Miami's top prep schools (oh, and if any of you are familiar with Carrolton's team, Ransom Everglades is their next-door neighbor), which means a lot of the members' parents have some cash to throw around. This year's prime example is one parent (who just so happens to be a mechanical engineer with more patents than you can shake a stick at) donated a brand-new CNC Mill to the team. Still, we aren't always so lucky; the first three years worth of robots had virtually no machining beyond what we could do with a drill press or a dremel. So, we can get by without all the fancy crap when we have to.

We have access to a shop, but no CNC Mills... So, the 400 something holes that got drilled in the baseplate of the Dethinator basically took several hours machining. I suppose it could be worse. We could have been drilling that many holes in Titanium...
Back to top Go down
Julien Kuzniarek

People Skills : 3150

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:41 pm

Alan Dreher wrote:
Dan Curhan wrote:

I think we should have a fair amount of money right now. With the donations from club members, along with the sponsorships we just got, plus the $850 from Robot marketplace, I think we are fairly well set...

Time to buy titanium armor for Copperhead.

Also, did you happen to see the slight scheduling change for the 120lb competition? We are done Saturday with packing up and going home for Sunday... But our plane tickets and plans are for Tuesday. So we have an extra day to check out San Francisco. Which should be nice.

They also finalized the location.

And they posted some shipping info on their website. Basically, we are solely responsible for shipping out bot to San Francisco... Not sure if they still have that arranged discount or not, so that may cost more than expected.

Also, buildersdb makes it seem like a large number of the 120 lb bots going to San Franscisco for the High School competition are going to be wedge/flipper bots.

That's good for us if it's mainly wedges and flippers because they seem to be our specialty. As in Crunch Crunch their pieces fly everywhere!
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:07 am

Yeah, I'm actually really jealous of the team because they got all the cool toys right after I left. I keep making the point that WE BUILT OUR ROBOTS IN A CAVE!!! WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!!
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:16 am

Jesus H. Christ, don't get me started about drilling holes to meet weight... brings back fuzzy memories of loud, shrieking drill bits and aluminum splinters pale.
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 am

We like holes...

Copperhead's holes were painful. The mystery metal of the drum ate like three drill bits before we went and bought carbide ones...
Back to top Go down
SenaiERI
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:51 am

Dan,

I hate the PO system too, and especially when you don't have an account and have to basically ask your sponsors to by your specific part or material, it can get embarrassing. All in all I'm pretty happy with what I've gotten accomplished so far in getting this 1 member team started and a robot built, I'm defiantly making a lot of changes next year.

Also, I bet you or your dad have not been told by anyone not to buy anything for the robot right? Well I have. "What material belongs to who will get mixed up," and other nonsense like that have been a pit fall but since I do my own inventory I'm not too worried.

SenaiERI
Back to top Go down
Hydrogel

People Skills : 3138
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:13 pm

The search for funding is a valuable lesson for all of you future engineers... Even within a company you might work for you will need to sell your ideas and pull together sponsors and budget money to do stuff you think is important and necessary.

Our team has had better luck in the last couple of years securing donated machine shop labor (to handle tasks that are beyond what our available machine shop equipment can do) rather than securing money donations. To this end I think it makes for a much more interesting and educational experience working with various shops one on one instead of just getting a check and that's it.
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Mr. Hydrogel, please go to the General Discussion board and Introduce Yourself.
Suspect

It'd be good for everyone to hear you describe yourself in your own words instead of mine.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

People Skills : 5761
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Take it home! Drop a couple motors switch to lipos, drill a hole here or there and make it a 12 lb bot for RFL events and such
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Money Problems   

Back to top Go down

Money Problems
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1