Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Frisco
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 5685
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!!   Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!! I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 1:39 pm

Officially back from Motorama at 5:00 in the morning last night...

We had a great time....

We had lots of work to do to get the bots ready...

We got Dan there 10 minutes late on Friday and he didnt get put in the brackets.... Sorry again Dan!

But he did do some rumbles.....

We did work on the bots there all day and night Friday (crashed out at 2:30 A.M.)

We did make weight....

We did have electronics problems....

We did fight....

We did Win (somewhat)...

We did Lose...

And we definately learned a lot once again...

Without Dan there to help out we would of probably only wired up 1 bot...

Many ESC Problems.....

2-BB12-45 Drive ESC's (yes we did not get our XL's in time) were bad right out of the bag (1-no reverse)(1 no bind)......

Our E-Flite 60 Amp Weapon ESC's went on a frenzy and worked - didnt work - worked again - then got yanked out and replaced by the Mamba Max ESC's ...

We havent even took them out of the box and read up on them yet (thanks Dan for setting them up)...

Finally made tech and everyone fought....

We skirted the bots way too low not thinking of the uneven wooden floor and kept getting hung up....

Local Bots IQ is level and metal and we pretty much thought we could go with 1/8 clearance under the tires and it just didnt like the floor at moto this year...

Needles to say we got hung up everywhere...

RockO fought Bar Exam First and both bots got hung up (pitiful fight) Bar Exam had no reverse due to the BB Esc's going on a frenzy and was stuck on the wall but RockO got the win (Sorry Steve).....

To the Roof fought Fiasco and had a good Hit then Got hung up on the floor and had no reverse so it lost (ShamWOW! BB Esc's)....

RockO fought War Drums Next and old dad here forgot to put tape on the battery connections (needless to say, after a little hit the darn thing came disconnected) and War Drums got a good hit so we were dead and tapped out....

Bar Exam switched to a borrowed Scorpion and switched to the Mamba Max and we were ready to go now... Well at least we thought....

Steve forgot to charge the battery because of all the electronics switching going on....

He faced Spin Stops here and could of....should of..... but the battery went dead and no weapon first ...then no drive.... then no fight no more...... Bar Exam lost and out of the brackets....

He came back and said I dont know what is wrong with it.... I turned it on and every thing ran then slowly died down after about two turns of the motors..... Steve did you charge the batteries?????..... No I thought you did..... NO I DIDNT..... Oh Well!!!!!.... Should of won this one!!!!

Now RockO was back up against redemption I think??? and everything tested good in the box... Went to the match turned it on walked out told Rocco to turn on the transmitter and check it out and NO MOVE..... they already closed the door so we did not have a chance to delay the match... So they gave us time to fix it in the box..... I ran back grabbed a Bind plug rebound and again no move?????.... Forfieted the match (we could of easily won this one they had no weapon on their flipper)

I sat it back down on the table turned it on and it all worked now?????? (ShamWOW! Robot gods were playing tricks on us out there) RockO was out now...

To the Roof was right after us and ready to go with borrowed Scorpion (thanks Chuck) and the other Mamba Weapon ESC.....

We were facing Ingor Eater of Souls (Ring Spinner).....

We still could not move very good because of the skirting but we could move.....

We faced him and had a great hit throwing him across the ring but it also threw us back because of the sideways spin.... We hit the wall going back and flipped over...

We did not have time and weight to put the flip extenders on the top so we could still run when flipped so we used the weapon to crawl a little and Ingor came over and smacked a wheel off before we could make it to a wall and flip back over again... I told our driver to tap out before we we ruined the rest of the bot...

All three out....

We did find out that the S7 did hold up to the heat treatment so good there...

We did find out where possible problems are and know how to fix them....

We did find out where changes need to be made....

Packed up... Ran around to check everything else out.... and called it a night at 10:00...

Shared some good stories on the way home and had a good time...

Thanks again for all the help Dan!!!!!!

Frisco OUT!!!!! (Going back to bed)
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7783
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!!   Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!! I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 8:49 pm

i wish i couldve went Sad
see ya in who knows when!!!
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5903
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!!   Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 6:12 am

Great reports from all the Moto folks!! Thanks...I wish we could have been there.

Had we but known that SF was not a trip we were gonna make, we would have gone, alas.

Of course we got no bots right now anyway, so I don't know what we would have taken.

Your stories remind me of our Moto experience two years ago--floor, receiver, and battery problems, but a really good learning experience and an opportunity to see some remarkable, proven combat robots.

Did any of you get to see some of the other amazing things going on at the giant Harrisburg Farm Complex?

And Frisco--what do you think of the Mamba Max now?
Back to top Go down
Frisco
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 5685
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!!   Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 12:21 pm

Mambas worked great.... They were our life savers!

It was the BB's and E-Flite's that were the culprits!
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7736
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!!   Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 3:21 pm

Hey Rick nice to finally put a face with the name!!

Looks like Dan was a big help....he was running pretty hard.

I was hoping to see you on Sunday, I didn't know that all your bots were out of contention.

We took on too much of a challenge in trying to get our 4 bots ready. Also, we REALLY could have used Josh.

Our last bot (SOT with drum) was eliminated in a heart breaking loss to weta...I think that we were winning by a good margin when the power connector popped out of the robot and disconnected....

Life goes on....I hope you can get your bots ready for your 15 pound comp. coming up soon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6338
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!!   Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 4:20 pm

it was definitely a fun weekend. I have a video I put together of "MOTO" but right now it's 13+ minutes long, so I don't know if I can cut it down to 10 for youtube... we'll see. I'll have to take out some of the seemingly endless carshow shots... Razz

Once again, it was great seeing everyone I knew already, and even better meeting everyone else - Kyle, Frisco & co, the infamous Charles Guan, etc. I had a great time even though I didn't officially compete... But the rumbles definitely gave me some areas to improve on Shred! I'm hoping to be able to go to Megacon in Orlando March 13th, so hopefully I'll have fixed some of the problems by then!

Dan
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!!   Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Motorama... Great Times... Great People... Great Problems!!!!!
Page 1 of 1