Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

plans for next ohio competition?

Go down 
+3
Dan Curhan
Josh Raichel
Frisco
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SenaiERI
mega contributor
mega contributor
SenaiERI

People Skills : 5950
Registration date : 2009-03-15

plans for next ohio competition? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: plans for next ohio competition?   plans for next ohio competition? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 7:56 pm

I understand there is a need for insurance, but how do you go about getting it?

And how do you certify and arena if you build it yourself? I can take Tornado Mini and do some testing in there with monitors for target practice, but there isn't a Battlebots Certification Board (not that I am aware of) so how do you do it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.SenaiEngineering.om
Frisco
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 5707
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: plans for next ohio competition?   plans for next ohio competition? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 8:57 pm

There are actually 2 certifications necessary for an arena.

One is for the floor and the maximum weight class allowed to compete and the other is wall thickness for trajectories. (lexan)

These are necessary in case a 120# bot might go airborn and land so the floor does not give out.

The walls are rated for ppsi in the case of trajectory when two high speed weapons go against each other and a piece flies off and does not crack or break the wall material.

The specs are based on material data sheets and what is used in the case of the floors and walls.

The certification is not necessary to hold a competition or get insurance BUT, if someone might happen to get a piece of material flying through a wall and get killed then it goes to the organization or event organizers shoulders.

Is Insurance necessary? YES

WHY? To cover your arse (you never know what might happen)

A lady trips and falls on a rug you put down to protect a gym floor and then sues you for ???? Tripping??

It's happened!

There are 2 organizations that I am aware of that has insured some competitions here on the east coast.

One was referred to me from NERC and the other from Chuck at Carolina Combat.

Both are very reasonable and have up to a mil liability if I am right on that.

We have been trying to get something going here and it is a shame that we have not been able to do it yet..

Heck,,,, I would love to have competitions every other month starting in September and going on all year..

That is the best way to PR and get others involved..

People love this stuff and if it happens every month or every other then it would get a following and more people would get involved.

I've politic'd since last December on a date, place, classes and you name it...

NERC is willing to get involved but to bring an arena from the far NE when there is one here locally is just stupid but might be what has to happen.

Dont be surprised if things dont change for the fall and maybe a competition is put at the convention center during world of wheels.

I'll say one thing here, if IQ does not change their ways, we will not be back next year and will go for 12 lbs and have competitions here locally with it.

Heck they wont even let my son who is part of our club in the pits during our competition.

Ohio IQ said no problem just sign a release and then asked if he would do a driving demonstration with his bot for them.

Our IQ is way too uptight here and have too many indians and not enough chiefs !!!!!

Had to RANT a little so How is everyone else today???

Frisco Out!
Back to top Go down
Josh Raichel
great contributor
great contributor
Josh Raichel

People Skills : 5786
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: plans for next ohio competition?   plans for next ohio competition? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 9:03 pm

I would help and support you with anything for the local 12lbs idea. I too hate the official leagues (bot iq), and they screwed us over at the Century III grudge matches...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/josh.raichel
Frisco
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: plans for next ohio competition?   plans for next ohio competition? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 9:20 pm

It's nothing about hating or not supporting....

It just the fact that things must change and more competitions need to be held.

I fully support what they are trying to do just do not support how certain things are done.

I love working for the IQ people and doing things for them but hey reward the effort sometimes and listen to reason every now and then.

They have one of the biggest followings in the nation here locally with the number of teams that are competing and there is not enough Public relations being done to support it and make it grow.

I realize they do a lot with the companies involved and try to match teams up with them but the real problem is only one showcase per year and not 2 or 3.

The more it is showcased the more people will want to be involved and help the organization.

I would guarantee 30 teams for every competition if it was held monthly and they could do it on a rotating basis.

September- Montour
October - South Park
November - Latrobe
December - Hempfield
January - Kiski
February- Motorama
March - West Mifflin
April - Century 3 Finals
May- Highlands
June - Connellsville
July - Norwin
August - Shaler

I could name 7 other places that might want to hold an event.

Bi-Monthly:
September- Montour
November - Latrobe
January - Kiski
February- Motorama
March - West Mifflin
April - Century 3 Finals
May- Highlands
July - Norwin

Heavier in the spring for new builds coming together!

Maybe I am just a little to into this stuff but I see a future in it and a great learning experience that is fun and interesting to a broad audience.
Back to top Go down
Josh Raichel
great contributor
great contributor
Josh Raichel

People Skills : 5786
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: plans for next ohio competition?   plans for next ohio competition? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 9:34 pm

I learn'd myself gewd thanks to battlebots.

But now i just wanna build something and throw things around the arena. I assume you will support the guys like me just in it for fun?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/josh.raichel
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

People Skills : 6044
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: plans for next ohio competition?   plans for next ohio competition? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 9:37 pm

Excuse me, not to get off topic but i do find this a little offensive, i dont assume you meant anything by it but please keep in mind the fact that things can be misinterpertated

Frisco wrote:

Our IQ is way too uptight here and have too many indians and not enough chiefs !!!!!

Frisco Out!
Back to top Go down
http://lsrobotics.blogspot.com
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7805
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: plans for next ohio competition?   plans for next ohio competition? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:57 pm

jeeves_m_d wrote:
Excuse me, not to get off topic but i do find this a little offensive, i dont assume you meant anything by it but please keep in mind the fact that things can be misinterpertated

Frisco wrote:

Frisco Out!

or i took it as native american indian not middle eastern indian.......
...and an idiom....
Back to top Go down
Frisco
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: plans for next ohio competition?   plans for next ohio competition? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 9:19 am

Just a metaphore meaning too many people who try to do something but no one to actually point them in the right direction!

Sorry if I offended you.... Not meant that way!
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

People Skills : 6044
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: plans for next ohio competition?   plans for next ohio competition? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 12:12 pm

o ok
Back to top Go down
http://lsrobotics.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: plans for next ohio competition?   plans for next ohio competition? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

plans for next ohio competition?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2