Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!

Go down 
+3
Will Bales
rdubard
rjw
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7736
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 12:53 am

Here's another kind of funny one...StingEm's (all girl team drumbot) debut fight...one of these 2 bots won the award for 'Best Engineered robot'....guess which bot won the award?

also guess which bot went undefeated?

https://www.youtube.com/user/RattlerRobots#p/u/0/CDzN2cJoKFw

did I mention dog and pony show?
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 11:47 am

How about this one? semi final match

https://www.youtube.com/user/jcoello43#p/u/2/GY0H9S40SfY
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 12:00 pm

the finals

https://www.youtube.com/user/jcoello43#p/u/3/UJ26Z4_ZQNA

imo, this should have been a ttatt vs stingem final...in which case, it was pre-decided thatthey would go at each other full force!!

It could have been a great final...but it was not to be... Sad
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7783
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 12:18 pm

well that fact that they couldnt spin the drum even the right way kinda sways my opinion a little bit.
You have to remember it isnt all about damaga either

i <3 rumors
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 12:35 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
well that fact that they couldnt spin the drum even the right way kinda sways my opinion a little bit.
You have to remember it isnt all about damaga either

i <3 rumors

I would not have had a problem with the decision going the other way in that fight...even tho, some do spin the opposite way to get the sum of both bots energies and to see if the other bot can handle the hit.

Kyle did this vs Sting...Dennis (dbm) mentioned fighting some powerful weaponed bots that did this for the same exact reason

Obviously, R6 couldn't take the hit.....while rattler could.....and most of the damage to R6 happened with the drum spinning downwards....so , while this was not the plan, I guess it would depend on whether you judge by damage inflicted or flying bots as your criteria

How about the ttatt vs wobbles fight? was that even close?
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 5:02 pm

but why not spin it the right way once there beater stopped?
i was a good fight though

havent seen it yet
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 5:34 pm

read your lips?
I'm sorry i hadnt read you right up on the other forum till after that post.
With the adrenalin of the fight it is reasonable to not realize
I dont remember anyone else commenting and disappearing sorry im sure if i was reminded i would remember.
Well wobbles. I got bored watching it. Very Happy
I just went back to try to watchi it again and youtube isnt working
From what i did watch i think id go with ttatt, but in future id like to see it used more of a flipper then just a wedge, but agian that goes with that adrenalin thing. All in time
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 5:41 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
read your lips?
I'm sorry i hadnt read you right up on the other forum till after that post.
With the adrenalin of the fight it is reasonable to not realize
I dont remember anyone else commenting and disappearing sorry im sure if i was reminded i would remember.
Well wobbles. I got bored watching it. Very Happy
I just went back to try to watchi it again and youtube isnt working
From what i did watch i think id go with ttatt, but in future id like to see it used more of a flipper then just a wedge, but agian that goes with that adrenalin thing. All in time

no question that with no spinning wmd, it's like watching paint dry....check it out tho and tell me if was even close...there is only 1 hit that sent ttatt flying, other than that, it seemed like ttatt just pushed and/or slammed wobbles around for the remeainder of the 3 minutes

the wedge is really only a lifter, and on more than 1 occasion it caused wobbles to go on top of ttatt and then get slammed into a wall or whatever....
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 5:46 pm

lol well i ment lift.
was it desdigned to lift or is it just to keep the wedge powered down to the ground, ive been under the intention it was to lift
what does ttatt even stand for anyway?!
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 5:54 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
lol well i ment lift.
was it desdigned to lift or is it just to keep the wedge powered down to the ground, ive been under the intention it was to lift
what does ttatt even stand for anyway?!

the implementation is really up to the team and driver

there are adjustable stops that can limit travel to touching the floor , but this also limits lift, in that when inverted , the floor again is the limit

or they can set it up to lift....

ideally , a 2 stage type of setup, perhaps thru a hi/ low rate switch could allow it to do both, but a servo with 15 lbs + lifting capacity is somewhat big, pricey and heavy

ttatt = t.t.a.t.t which stands for technical training aids titanium tyrant.....tta sponsored the bot last year

the announcer kept introducing it as Tee tat.....whatever...does anyone really care? no... Rolling Eyes

maybe a rename to tictac or tictoc is in order....
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 5:58 pm

i got ya now.
you had a banebot on it before right?

youtube works. i suffered through it. Wasnt really much controlled agression from wobbles ttatt should have won although theres nothing you can do know

its gonna drive me nights trying to figure out who this judge was, i think i may have an idea though
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 6:09 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
i got ya now.
you had a banebot on it before right?

still do

at 1 point they had a servo encoder controlling it, but it was unreliable

after the ttatt vs wobbles decision. the wedge teams all want drums.
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

People Skills : 6134
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 1:11 am

ya.. I can imagine that..

Woodynator 2 works now! weapon spins with a different motor, and the drive is UNBELIEVABLY quick
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 1:16 am

how much does this disk weigh?
its like a mix of woodynator and x-termanation lol
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 1:20 am

a lot.. I'll figure out how much it ways in a bit
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 2:08 am

woody 2 looks good!!!

How's Fluffy 2 coming along? any preogress?
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 11:06 am

ya, it's coming along.. we had cut the side plates, then realized they were wrong... lol drum has been turned down, need to machine the slots for the teeth.. need to make the teeth. still lots to do. we're working today on it. the big thing right now is making a cone. we need to bend the chromoly steel armor at a funny angle, so we need this cone to do it.
Back to top Go down
RemoteContact

People Skills : 5371
Registration date : 2009-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 3:07 am

" 1 judge in particular must hate us so much, that in the finals, our students knew that they would have to win by knockout , or they would lose no matter what. "

" Do you recall some one on this forum campaigning against us (kind of like you and Alex) and then disappearing into the woodwork...in your words it was 'here we go again' "

Ummm are you talking about me?

Here's what I have to say.

1. The judges keep scorecards. Before claiming that I hate you, check out the cards. Andrea was the one who put wobbles on top. Talking about it after it was because of the hit (although it was a tiny hit) wobbles' weapon made which made them win the damage portion judging criteria.

2. I supremely agree with you that the event had pony show elements. The 15.5lb weight limit being my most critical problem. BattlebotsIQ does not host perfect events by a long shot. But they host events. Being an EO is an insane thing to do so I respect and appreciate them alot. Trust me, if I had the resources I would hold my own super safe events with a super accurate scale and buy calibration equipment from a reliable source and recommend all teams to buy the same scale/calibration combo, and all of the other things that could make an event great from a builder's point of view.

3. I would never campaign against somebody who helps kids learn/build robots. If there were no advisors then my life would be alot different. I just think that kids need to learn how to be engineers in the real world where they have responsibility and where things don't always work the way they are intended to. Maybe I was a little harsh in my other posts to you but I would honestly really be interested in learning how you teach your kids to build great bots in a short time. NOT to prove something in some messed up campaign against you. The robot building community is small enough already, no reason to divide it further.

4. I know titanium and S7 are expensive but the experiences of reverse engineering a crappy robot into something amazing is a priceless lesson.

5. Safety was not my department and I agree with your posts here and on the rfl forum that it wasn't perfect. Still, I've been to more unsafe events before.

6. If you have a problem with me talk to me in person. I think I'm approachable enough. I was even at the last 305 meeting at starbot soldering up 120 A123 cells, wernt you there? I think you will find that we're more similar that different. BattlebotsIQ is all about the kids. The interpretation of that universally agreed upon statement can vary, but lets at least talk about it.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 2:32 pm

Adam

I'm will no longer get into a shooting match with anyone on this or any other forum....so I''ll only say the following...

1) I 1000% agree with you that this community is way too small to divide it any further

2) I don't know anything about a 15.5 lbs weight limit, except to say this

a) I believe that MLEC's digital scale was being used to weigh in bots and it is quite accurate

b) if the limit was raised to accomodate some overweight bots, I have no problem with that in that this was a very small event, and my take on this is that I would rather see the overweight bot compete rather than not. If a team didn't have access to a good scale is one thing. If they knowingly added a 1/2 lbs. heavier weapon to gain an advantage that is really another. I don't think that this was the case here.

c) at a national event, I would think that as long as everyone is informed in advance as to what IS the maximum allowed weight, then there also should be no problem and those unforunate enough to not be able to get their bot down to that weight should not be allowed to compete. but that's JMO and if it done differently, then we'll just live with it

3) My bottom line is the safety of the kids. A few other frustrating or surprising events did occur, but I have said repeatedly that it was MINOR in the big picture

The ENTIRE bot community needs to focus on safety issues. If ANY event ANYWHERE has a bad accident, and especially if a minor is injured, I think that this sport will shrink and possibly go away.

I've heard of events being cancelled or limited to hockey or NO lipos allowed, or whatever, possibly because of OUR (and I say this as part of a community) lack of attention to safety details.

If we had most of our ducks lined up properly at the Ransom event, the Fluffy incident would have been taken care of in a matter of a minute or so and the event would have continued without much delay.

4) With respect with judges decisions, In the future, I will NEVER even blink an eye at any decisions that I may feel went against us for ANY reason.....I actually wish that we could implement a rule whereby a winning team could hand over the victory if they so choose. I would recommend that our teams do this,if I felt that we should have lost. It would be the sportsman like thing to do.

I do think that possibly separating the judges, then having them simply hand in their scores and declare a winner, might eliminate some of the finger pointing, which will undoubtably continue to occur in the heat of the moment. We will NOT be part of any of this at ANY future events....

5) as far as any other issues or concerns, I am open to talking about them anytime...the 305 consortium has all my contact info, or you can reach me through any of the forums.

btw: I would have NO problem with you judging at any future events....I do appreciate the efforts of any and all volunteers and can only imagine waht a tough job judgin is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!   Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Miami Dade Youth fair 2010 this weekend!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next