Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandon Roberts

Brandon Roberts

People Skills : 5217
Registration date : 2010-04-26

Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl Empty
PostSubject: Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl   Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 12:48 am

well thanks to you guys we decided on the beater bar....maybe a drum next year to Cool ......thing is though, over the weekend i was testing some mock ups with wood. while its no metal of course the results really set me back, and heres the issue

wer going to use a heavy steel (most likely s7) because of its strength and stopping power. but wer dead lost in thickness to length ratios, and since wer on a very very tight budget. we cant really afford to make a weapon that with crack.

point #2 is wer using p60's and bane bot motors and side by side we need around at least 10 inch length to fit both motors in and have room for wiring.

In the end we are stumped on is where the "Golden" area is on dimensions. and as always any reply is always a HUGE help towards me and James

sorry for the rough description. CAD is still a mystery to us and even a simple design takes a long while to produce. i could throw a rough sketch up tho if need be.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7775
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl   Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 1:50 am

throw up the cad or sketch...it helps...no matter what it looks like..

Is this a 2 wheeled bot?

If so, then leave 1/4 to 1/2" minimum between the P60's (back to back)

If it's a 4 wheeled bot, it's more expenisve and harder, but you could offset the Gboxes, like we do...look at pics of R2RCR or MLEC on this site to see how that works.

Easier is back to back (conventional like most others)

You need the room to get a Gbox w/motor out...so plan accordingly.

As has been said here before, at least 1/2" crossection everywhere on the beater....I prefer more.
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Brandon Roberts

Brandon Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl   Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 8:39 am

we are going to use a 2 wheel drive with o rings....simliar to what warthog did

the post concerning that idea is https://battlebots.forumotion.com/design-f2/round-urethane-belt-drive-t432.htm

il toss up atleast a sketch today
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7822
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl   Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 8:51 am

you can easily do a 11"x 4"x1.5" beater around 3.5lbs

keep in mind your weapon doesnt have to be the entire length of the bot, make it narrower to beef up the thickness

beaters weight are usually pretty easy, s7's density is about .283
just subtract the inside area from the outside area and multiply by the density and you'll have a pretty close weight

ps sharp corners on the inside of the beater could end up being a stress point
Back to top Go down
Brandon Roberts

Brandon Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl   Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 10:41 am

Cody once again you are my hero
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6377
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl   Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 7:02 pm

cody meant volume... lol
but I'm sure you figured that out.

And 2 wheel drive with O-rings? wouldn't that still be 4WD, just with 2 motors?
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl   Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back to the drawling boards... because CADs to kool for skewl
Page 1 of 1