Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Motor types

Go down 
+4
Jeff L
crowconor
rjw
turtle
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
crowconor

crowconor

People Skills : 4995
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Motor types - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 12:23 pm

gears comp motors, gears esc's, 24v a123, and a spektrum, and a 2 7/8 wheel (banebots)
Back to top Go down
turtle
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 5014
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 10:46 pm

is there an advantage to using the p60 gearbox over the 36 mm planetary gearbox? both from banebots
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7783
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 11:15 pm

P60s are the new 540 gearbox
lower ratio 36mm with 540 motors have been discontinued by banebots for well over a year now
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 12:01 pm

Alex wrote:
turtle wrote:
is there an advantage to using the p60 gearbox over the 36 mm planetary gearbox? both from banebots

So here a story about the gearboxes........
Banebots was like yoooo lets start up a kickn robot company and sell robot parts. Hellz Yeah!!! But what robot parts do we sell? IDK lets look? We should sell gearboxes motors and speed controllers hellz yeah. But wait we don't know how to make motors and speed controllers? Well lets buy the motors and gearboxes from a shady dude in china called "Mr.Wang" and pay some company to design us esc? Hellz Yeah!!!
.......Two years Later........
Dude we are running out of those cheap chinese gear boxes that we are marking the price up double. ShamWOW! it! I hate that shady wang character. We made lots of money selling robots parts....lets buy a mill and make our own gear boxes.

Thus P60's were born. Then end.

just like that...
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7736
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 12:13 pm

i think that they bought more than a mill?
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
turtle
big contributor
big contributor

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 4:45 pm

so does the p60 function differently from the older gearboxes at all? What do you guys use for gearboxes from banebots? again thank you for all the help.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 6:49 pm

only complaints ive heard are that there a little bigger/bulkier then the 36mm and they require a little more maintenance
guys have even been using them in the 30lb bots too
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5903
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 6:59 pm

P60's are OK. There are some things about them that you do have to take into account if you have been using the 36mm "Wangs" Most notably there are NO mounting holes on the 'front' of the P60, so you need to either design for mounting from the side or top, or you can buy very long 6-32 screws and use the same screws that hold the gearbox together to mount from the front.

Also, the ringgear is not held in place very well (just a flat on the gear against some roll pins pushed into the front plate. Does that make any sense? If I can figure out how to post a SolidWorks part render, I have a pretty detailed one at school.

One thing I kinda like about the P60 is that they AREN'T shipped with the motor attached (or with any lube in the gearbox), so you are kinda encouraged to try out different motors and lubrication options. It also means that you have to pressfit the pinion onto the motor, which does take a little effort and creativity to do correctly with limited tools.

The best improvement in the P60's over the Wangs is that the standard shaft is 1/2 inch (stepped down to 3/8 as it passes through the bearings), while the Wangs had only a 3/8 standard, stepped down to just 1/4 as it passed through the bearings.

Lastly, the P60 seems to have all steel gears, while the Wangs had some sort of bronzy-lookings softer stuff for gears.

Ultimately, it dont matter, cuz the Wangs are no longer available from BB.
Back to top Go down
Brandon Roberts

Brandon Roberts

People Skills : 5178
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 11:46 pm

Well everything is working fine with our Wang's so far, there are a few things that are slightly annoying, but there are always trade offs

From a construction stand point in my opinion:

Wang's: Sturdier construction, better screw positioning, 5/16 shorter then p60's

P60's: Larger shaft, easier disassemble/re-assemble, stronger and replaceable gears AND u can still buy not only the gearbox, but also the shafts and gears

As for a performance stand point, i would definitely trust Alex or Cody over myself, they have been through hell and back with Wang's....and everyone else has most likely used or tested a P60's since their the gearbox of choice now

Last edited by Brandon Roberts on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 9:31 am

Alex.....did you receive any wang boxes recently?

same porous coke can alu?

brass gears or steel?

small or larger output shaft bearings?
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 10:29 am

Carrier plte is part of output shaft?

like the bb 36mm w/545 motor?
Back to top Go down
Frisco
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 5685
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 10:30 am

Alex,

Did you add any of my motors to that order???

Give me a call !

FRISCO
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 10:37 am

what ratio(s) did you order

Did they come with motors? If so which one?

what did they end up costing?
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:01 am

Good argument for going ith P60's on any new builds?
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:21 am

MLEC actully does have 1 bot with a similar mod.

cnc'd front and rear housings, shorter ring gear and all tierodded into frame rail.

if only wang would sell just the gears, etc. it could be a robust solution and not too costly
Back to top Go down
Brandon Roberts

Brandon Roberts

People Skills : 5178
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 1:31 pm

lol it was definitely a sketchy process, had to wire money to a Chinese bank account and everything xD
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 6:27 am

Alex wrote:
rjw wrote:
Carrier plte is part of output shaft?
like the bb 36mm w/545 motor?

Yes!

Well, that is no small matter! Our number one failure point on BOTH types of motors has been that the output shaft is held into the gearbox with a snap ring, which slips off every once in a while, so the axles fall out. In fact, our 120lb "Cholo" which has outrigger bearings to eliminate cantilever STILL will lose an axle every once in a while.

We are expecting a JET GHB-1340 Lathe in January, and one of the first things I'm gonna look into is how hard it will be to make a single piece shaft and carrier plate. (Assuming there's a student who can figure out how to operate it effectively!) I know it's a big waste of material (most of the stock will be shavings after one is complete), and will be tedious to turn, but I think it will pay off with more reliable drive.

Or does anyone (I'm lookin at YOU, rjw) have a relatively simple mod to address this problem?
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 6:51 pm

One more problem--the output shaft will have to remain the same diameter throughout. (No way to get a small bearing onto the step-down!)

Maybe I need to re-think this. . .
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 10:56 pm

Both designs have problems, unless you have provisions to control output shaft endplay.

While MLEC has only used the smaller stepdown type 36mm gboxes, I prefer the other design.

We control shaft endplay, by set screwing the pulleys onto the shaft and so far have had no failures due to snapring failure.
Back to top Go down
turtle
big contributor
big contributor

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 9:57 pm

can someone explain the banebot ratio system to me please.
i know you change the ratio by adding or taking away gear stages and replacing the ring gear size.
but my question is what is the ratio of say a one two or three stage setup?
thanks for the help banebots confuses me.
Back to top Go down
turtle
big contributor
big contributor

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 10:47 pm

thanks for the quick reply
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motor types   Motor types - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Motor types
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2