Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Drilling for Offset Teeth

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SamM
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 5356
Registration date : 2009-12-22

Drilling for Offset Teeth Empty
PostSubject: Drilling for Offset Teeth   Drilling for Offset Teeth I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 10:15 am

Does anyone have suggestions on how to drill for offset teeth, specifically, how to make sure that you position them 180 degrees apart?

We have access to a lathe and drill-press, and most likely a mill.

Our current design has 4 bolts as impactors, with two on one side near the ends, and two on the other side nearer the center.

In the past, on wheels, I have wrapped a piece of paper around the wheel with marks spaced out at fractions of the circuference (need to include thickness of the paper when finding the diameter), and center punched it. I was debating trying this, or just going to a two tooth style with the holes in line, because I don't think this would be accurate enough for something spinning at 20k RPM?

I know there's got to be a better way...
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7784
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Drilling for Offset Teeth   Drilling for Offset Teeth I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Is this on your little drum? Your going to drill the 4 holes one both sides if the diameters is small enough just drill straight through
Back to top Go down
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

People Skills : 5900
Registration date : 2009-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Drilling for Offset Teeth   Drilling for Offset Teeth I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 1:21 pm

what you need is a center square and a right angle square. put your line on the face that will go through the center then use your right angle square to put nice straight lines on on the drum witch you will use for your bolt centers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drilling for Offset Teeth   Drilling for Offset Teeth I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drilling for Offset Teeth
Page 1 of 1