Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

The Dethinator's quirks

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6338
Registration date : 2009-03-14

The Dethinator's quirks Empty
PostSubject: The Dethinator's quirks   The Dethinator's quirks I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 1:37 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew how I could solve some of the weird problems I'm facing with this bot...

1) As soon as the radio connects, one of the drive wheels jerks forward for a fraction of a second, then stops, and everything is normal. I'm using a Spektrum DX-5e, with a Sabertooth 10 Dual ESC and ML-3506 Planetary Gearmotors.

2) The Sabertooth has a built in Aile/Ele mixer and a "flip" channel which I have connected to the Aux channel on the receiver which corresponds to the trainer switch on the transmitter. Default (trainer off) has inverted L/R (right on transmitter = left turn) but when I hold the trainer it's right. No pun intended. cyclops

I tried switching the L/R motors but that only changed the Forward/Backwards direction and still had the wrong L/R signals. I think I switched Aile/Ele right off the bat (because when I first connected power it turned on and spun in a circle and I couldn't stop it) and that straightened out the spinning, but it was all kind of a blur so I'm not sure if that would actually help or not...
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

People Skills : 6134
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Beginning Jerk After Power   The Dethinator's quirks I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 12:36 am

Try re-binding your receiver to your transmitter. That happens to ours occasionally, and just doing the bind sequence over again usually fixes it!
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6338
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The Dethinator's quirks   The Dethinator's quirks I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 1:21 am

Okay. So. I was playing out in my garage a few minutes ago and here's what I did.

The sabertooth ESC has a bunch of switches on it that I didn't notice before. I downloaded the user's manual, and flipped switch 4, unplugged the flip cable, switched AILE/ELE and reversed the polarity of motor 2 - and it worked. My drive direction is no longer inverted. In hindsight, I probably could have left my AILE/ELE and motor wiring as it was, but it doesn't matter now. It works.

I re-bound my controller, and it seemed to fix the problem. Then it twitched again. But only once, and I can't tell whether it worked 100% or not. I need to do more testing...

However, I'm noticing a new issue. scratch

I'm using 3 speedmax-40's on the same throttle signal to power the shell's motors. I can spin up the shell fine, as long as I don't push the throttle over the neutral halfway-up point. After that, the motors start slowing down... Is this a transmitter setting or a speedmax-40 limiting function? I don't know the spektrum dx-5e controller that well. This is only the second 15 pounder I've ever built, and I didn't wire the first one, so you guys on the RE team who've been doing an awful lot of 15's... do you have any advice?
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dethinator's quirks   The Dethinator's quirks I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Dethinator's quirks
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Battlebots :: Bots :: Debugging-
Jump to: