Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Mamba's across the board !!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Frisco
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 5685
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Mamba's across the board !! Empty
PostSubject: Mamba's across the board !!   Mamba's across the board !! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 1:54 pm

Well, We have recently switched all of our bots over to the mamba systems... 2200Kv or better motors in all bots plus either Monsters or Phoenix controllers.

Quite a difference in outcomes from what we have used in the past.

A lot more Gyro going on now..

It is almost like the kids might have to relearn how to drive them.

Cant wait to see how they do in action.

FRISCO
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5903
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Mamba's across the board !!   Mamba's across the board !! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 3:30 pm

This year we used Mamba Monsters (in brushed mode) with Traxxas 775's to the gearmotors, and Colsons for drive in both of our 120lb bots With one exception (which I still want to investigate) things worked perfectly and we had some of the most nimble machines in the class. I'm sold on them for this purpose.

On the other hand, we used one Monster setup for the weapon drive in a 15lber and it ATE batteries! 5s LiPos puffed up every match. The belts may have been a little tight, but the beaters spun effortlessly by hand prior to installation, so I kinda don't understand why the setup demanded so much current.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7736
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Mamba's across the board !!   Mamba's across the board !! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 5:33 pm

What are Mambas? Never heard of them... Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7736
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Mamba's across the board !!   Mamba's across the board !! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 5:45 pm

Actually, when Team Jag started out, we read ALL the advice from others and went through a slew of different cheaper motors. We also went thru a few of the older Mamba Max's.

It got old quickly.....drums would spin finr and then later on would start to cog, etc. we burnt literally everything out.

When we switched to Monsters for drums, things got a lot better....you have some reserve as opposed to marginal setup.

We use Max pros (total overkill, but not much else available in this range) for drvietrain escs, along with some small neu motors and that has worked out pretty well.

Scorpion XXL/s with 550 brushed motors wasn't too bad when they were working, but the 'POOF' isue with the XXL's became a real nuisance.

Bottom line to anyone building a new bot, if yu can afford the weight and price of a Monster kit, it's probably worth it in the long run.

Needless to say that if your weapon is drawing 100 amps continuous, then batteries will go puffy or fail.

45 or even better the newer 60C batteries might be a better choice (for the Lipo crowd)

Bob....you must be drawing a lot of amps with your 15 , especially if your using 45C's or better and the pack is getting swollen.

I could see this happening with your dual beater ....an amp probe is your friend.
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Stephen
super contributor
super contributor
Stephen

People Skills : 5586

PostSubject: Re: Mamba's across the board !!   Mamba's across the board !! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 1:55 am

most of us dont know how to drive in the first place (including me) so we wont have to relearn it
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WestMifflinRobotics
Frisco
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 5685

PostSubject: Re: Mamba's across the board !!   Mamba's across the board !! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 9:49 am

I spoke with Castle about the issue on the batteries last week. RDB were you revving up the motors really quick? And using braking?

The tech I spoke with said there was an issue using 40C or less but they should work down to 30C if you do not jump on the stick really fast.

Those things jump to full quick enough so I really dont think it will be an issue with most.

I am thinking about doing some tests with the phoenix vs. the mamba max vs. mamba monster ESC's this week.

Just to see what they draw and how fast we can really ramp these things up.

FRISCO
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5903
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Mamba's across the board !!   Mamba's across the board !! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 10:54 am

Having thought about it for a while, I think the problem was in the batteries. All of our 5s batteries have been around for more than a year, and the students habitually stick them in a bot "just to test it out" without charging it (or even checking the voltage first)--the result is LiPos that have been deep discharged. This causes their internal resistance to rise from a 'new' value of 5milliohms to an 'abused' value as much as 150milliohms. Start drawing 30c through them and they get hot and puffy.

At least that's what I think. It is true that the vac bot was running on new 3s batteries, with a Mamba Max Pro driving their 5700kV CIM motor and had it still had a tendancy to puff up batteries until we put two in parallel. So maybe it's just a matter of the battery being the weak link when you've got those kicka** speed controllers and motors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mamba's across the board !!   Mamba's across the board !! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mamba's across the board !!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Battlebots :: Team Update Pages :: West Mifflin High School-
Jump to: