Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Effective speed for a full body spinner?

Go down 
+4
Cody
turtle
jeeves_m_d
Riggz
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Riggz

Riggz

People Skills : 4780
Registration date : 2011-03-30

Effective speed for a full body spinner? Empty
PostSubject: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi guys I have just been wondering about the weapon speed of our bot (Kasirga). How fast do full body spinners usually need to be in order to deliver big hits?
Back to top Go down
Riggz

Riggz

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:04 pm

thanks and o you might as well tell me the problem so i can possibly fix it somehow haha
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

People Skills : 6022
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:08 pm

Anonymous spins at around 2k currently with a 12'' OD 8# shell, the hits are decent but not amazing.

I feel like 3-4k is optimum anything above that will prove to be extremely difficult to drive and will have some serious recoil on impact
Back to top Go down
http://lsrobotics.blogspot.com
turtle
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 5014
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:10 pm

jeeves dude you deliver some serious hits
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:15 pm

is this shell directly driven? do you have any pic of the internals?
Back to top Go down
Riggz

Riggz

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Yea it is driven by the banebot... cant rly change that tho cuz we dont have any other motor with enough torque to spin it. Originally it was a direct belt drive from a mamba monster but the speed controller fried due to bad instruction from castle. Then we tried a drill motor which still couldn't do the job so the banebot was just about our only option. I also know it doesn't spin as fast as we need it too.
Back to top Go down
Riggz

Riggz

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Yes the shell is directly driven. We have a key on the gearbox output axle that locks into the shell. Sorry I do not have any pics at the moment.
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:33 pm

erg... which ratio bane bots is it? How fast does it spin...

and more importantly what are the specs on your shell diameter, wieght, shape, height.

?
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7783
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Did you directly drive it with the mamba combo also? I'm not sure if the problem was with wiring but that would take alot of burst current to spin the shell and a motor with that KV just doesnt really have the torque to do it I dont think
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 10:00 pm

Unfortunatly being direct driven there isnt really anything I can think of to improve your weapon. You could try different motors but you can only get so much speed from a brushed motor
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 10:16 pm

alex, how tall is this thing? if it direct driven its got to be atleast 4.5'' tall right?
Back to top Go down
SenaiERI
mega contributor
mega contributor
SenaiERI

People Skills : 5928
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 11:32 pm

In regards to speed, we have our shells spinning at about 2400 rpm with some decent hits, but I liked them a lot more around 1500. The 16" dia was defiantly more effective. Obviously, the bigger your dia, the slower you want your rpm.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SenaiEngineering.om
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

People Skills : 5350
Registration date : 2010-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Outrunners are built to crank rc plane propellers. A whole full body spinner shell might be too much to get it going though. I wanna say it's possible.
If I were to build a full body spinner I would try to implement some sort of clutch, possibly from a gas rc car so that no sudden stops are transferred directly to the motor.
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 6:13 pm

thats why we use a friction drive system in anonymous. The wheels will burn out rather than bring the motor to a stall. it also allows us to keep a lower profile.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 6:39 pm

I would think using a V-belt would act pretty well as a clutch.

I wish I had more time to look at anonymous, it intrests me
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 7:09 pm

if your going to nationals, then you'll have plenty of time to see it
Back to top Go down
Riggz

Riggz

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 7:36 pm

jeeves_m_d wrote:
erg... which ratio bane bots is it? How fast does it spin...

and more importantly what are the specs on your shell diameter, wieght, shape, height.

?

It is a 16-1 ratio banebot and the diameter is about 16 in. and 5 in high
Back to top Go down
Andy

Andy

People Skills : 5127
Registration date : 2010-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 8:54 am

That robot had a cluth system designed originally, but there was a first year design error where they geared it up in stead of down. Of course the motor didnt have the torque lo. That banebots gearbox was jeery-rigged in the night before and to be honest Ty Im sure your new speed is good enough. the way thats mounted and the gearbox your using wont take much more. For future referance tho im sure your original design would have been fine if you geared it the right way and used a lower kv motor.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7736
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Somewhere around 300 fps sounds good to me
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Riggz

Riggz

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 1:18 pm

Andy wrote:
That robot had a cluth system designed originally, but there was a first year design error where they geared it up in stead of down. Of course the motor didnt have the torque lo. That banebots gearbox was jeery-rigged in the night before and to be honest Ty Im sure your new speed is good enough. the way thats mounted and the gearbox your using wont take much more. For future referance tho im sure your original design would have been fine if you geared it the right way and used a lower kv motor.
thank you andy
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 12:26 pm

Melty at 4k seems to work... affraid
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 1:13 pm

Todd The Wraith wrote:
I disagree.
A >3lbs melty has NEVER been effective at a competition.

rjw wrote:
Melty at 4k seems to work... affraid

Bite = No

Melty - arena destruction at its best...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Effective speed for a full body spinner?   Effective speed for a full body spinner? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Effective speed for a full body spinner?
Page 1 of 1