Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Share | 

Camden's confoundations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 2869
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Thu May 12, 2011 9:22 pm

i'm gonna see what i can get outta these rhinos. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7302
i might only need 1... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Fri May 13, 2011 12:17 am

arrgh. this is with the 360 mah rhino battery. it's probly cuz of being tired, but i can't seem to figure out the placement. the battery extends to the very limits of my bot's height, but with this battery, and albeit with difficulty, i can shave off a whole inch in the I.D of my weapon if i can get the placement right, this is just a rough 15 min sketch, and i have problems...that dang reciever is too big >< and if i try putting it on top of the motor, it will be too tall
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 2858
Registration date : 2011-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Thu May 19, 2011 11:57 pm

the layout looks nice, im not shure what reciever your going to use but that footprint is huge it looks like fm?

if you are going to make all of that fit within 4" on your baseplate as your drawing shows at wallmart they sell catbowls for about 3 dollars and its a nice stainless steel bowl with a rolled lip its 4.5" dia by 2.25 tall with a .5" taper weighs 3.8oz

also spektrum will be coming out with a strictly 4 channel transmitter for 15$ less than the dx5e coincidentally named the dx4 its what comes with the new blade mcpx helis if that means anything lol
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Fri May 20, 2011 12:15 am

I am so afraid of that mcpx because we got a couple promo versions with weak blade grips and we tached it at around 4900rpm with no pitch and while trying some pretty simply manuvers in the store it threw the blades off and one went right by my face.... needless to say im not going to fly it until I find some aluminum blade grips. Before it tried to kill me it was the most planted micro heli I have ever flown it once it was trimmed it was so much fun.
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Fri May 20, 2011 12:26 am

we never got any recall blade grips Evil or Very Mad
Im not quite that awesome on a heli but my manager steve is. I can do alot of outdoor heli 3d but indoor requires a higher levle of precision that I have...however in a plane I can do some wicked pattern and 3d with a variable pitch indoor foamy or an outdoor extra260 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Fri May 20, 2011 12:36 am

that thing is so goofy with its ceranwrap wings lol
flying is fun but im drifting twoards the ground again to robots i sold my rock crawler and my hpi blitz and my ultimate biplane but im never gona let go of my extra260 or my e flite pogo it would whistle in a dive running on 5s with an 8x8 prop on the high kv power 25 with a 3000mah pack it would fly for about 3 safe minutes lol
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Fri May 20, 2011 7:41 am

i'm not quite sure how this is relevant to my stuff, however i do have a blade mSR, and these things are little beasts. it will not break! but maybe that's because i superglue the parts when they do... Rolling Eyes anyway, i just love to fly it. i haven't flown anything 3d yet other than on simulators, and going upside down with them is really entertaining. what are your prices on the new micro 3d heli alex?

I also have a 1/16 slash that i'm having some recent problems with...It has the highest available gearing along with e-revo tires and a modified cover. am i supposed to regrease the gears in the differentials? the rear one is giving me trouble. the truck sounds like a nitro instead of an electric. i've already replaced it once, but the new one started acting up almost instantly.
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Fri May 20, 2011 4:30 pm

On another note, most of the seniors in my school were gone on a trip to six flags today, so i had about 3 hours to work on my sketches! cheers and i have the smallest setup now! weighing in at approx. 200 grams, that leaves me with another 250g for my shell! woo!
the wheels will be the 32mm ones on pololu that go with the micrometal motors.

Here is the epic sketch.

i have a wiring diagram on the left. This is how i believe the connecting is supposed to work. correct me if I'm wrong. the top piece is the connector.
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Fri May 20, 2011 9:53 pm

I like how your designs keep improving with each new redraw now it looks like the best version yet! cheers

as for your 1/16 slash the gears should be greased but most important when you put new ones in inspect the differential housing for any and all gear shavings and remove it with denautured alcahol or q tips if you go the alcahol route you will have to also re oil all of your bearings that the alcahol touches it shouldent sound really loud but ours is definatly louder than it came from the box.

and unless your awesome on a heli the new mcpx is a wild animal for a novice pilot although you could use its radio Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sat May 21, 2011 8:13 am

ok, and do hobby shops have grease? (i'm guessing yes) now basically i need to make sure the controller i selected is the one i'm getting.

and here is a basic parts list

From alex:
730 mah 3s 30c lipo
axi 2200kv brushless outrunner gold

Pololu:
30:1 micro metal HP gearmotors x2
small black motor mounts
32mm X 8mm wheels

Fingertech:
tiny esc's x2

Mcmaster:
1/8 UHMW high-temp

Hobbyking:
12a blue series esc

Spektrum:
should i go 4ch or 5ch?
and i need a reciever that is no longer than 1.18" (30mm) with its connectors facing up! help! ahh! i was told this can't handle the voltages i need
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMAR6300
Back to top Go down
Koensig

People Skills : 2568
Registration date : 2011-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sat May 21, 2011 2:33 pm

What's the UHMW for, the base?
Back to top Go down
Don Doerfler
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 3373
Registration date : 2009-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sat May 21, 2011 2:42 pm

Camden W wrote:
ok, and do hobby shops have grease? (i'm guessing yes) now basically i need to make sure the controller i selected is the one i'm getting.

and here is a basic parts list

From alex:
730 mah 3s 30c lipo
axi 2200kv brushless outrunner gold

Pololu:
30:1 micro metal HP gearmotors x2
small black motor mounts
32mm X 8mm wheels

Fingertech:
tiny esc's x2

Mcmaster:
1/8 UHMW high-temp

Hobbyking:
12a blue series esc

Spektrum:
should i go 4ch or 5ch?
and i need a reciever that is no longer than 1.18" (30mm) with its connectors facing up! help! ahh! i was told this can't handle the voltages i need
[url=http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMAR6300
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMAR6300[/quote[/url]]

id go with a DX5e or DX3e
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/DoerflerRobotics?feature=mhum
Don Doerfler
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 3373
Registration date : 2009-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sat May 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/DoerflerRobotics?feature=mhum
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sat May 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Perfect. Thank you don. Very Happy

Koensig wrote:
What's the UHMW for, the base?
It's for the top and bottom pieces.
You can't really tell in the drawing, cuz it's 2-D, but the 6 little circles on the outer perimeter are spacers between them. I thought of that feature after seeing a few videos of whole chassis getting ripped off because all the support was on a bottom plate.

I'm planning to use the spacers and a top piece to transfer the load, as well as make it more resistant to hard hits.
and for the excess space from the thickness of the bearing, i'm going to make (or find) some pieces to fit the bearing inside them, then bolt them to the top and bottom frames. it'll look something like this:
Back to top Go down
Koensig

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sat May 21, 2011 8:24 pm

I wouldn't recommend using 1/8th UHMW for anything load bearing, it's too flexible. I have used UHMW extensively and it's very good for armor but not so much for base plates. I'd recommend using G-10 or G-11 Garolite http://www.mcmaster.com/#garolite/=ceo77e
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sat May 21, 2011 9:16 pm

if you have weight delrin would made a good weapon shaft support if it was thick enough. I would try for aluminum though at least 2024 or 7075 as an optimal material then it dosent need to be massive

also what size deadshaft are you going to use?
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sat May 21, 2011 10:49 pm

Deadshaft..? you mean the central shaft?

I was thinking 1/4" shaft of unknown material, possibly stainless steel. although atm i have a steel rod about 2 inches long that's 3/8" thick.
The Dx5e transmitter and this 6ch reciever http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMAR6115#quickSpecs is what i've decided to use.

i might try garolite on the bottom plate, but don't i want some flexibility on top? the shear strength needs to be very high, and i would think being flexible would help the top piece absorb some of the energy from impact so it doesn't shock my electronics too badly.

and this is why i'm looking at UHMW: http://www.mcmaster.com/#8549kac/=ceq42m
Back to top Go down
Koensig

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sun May 22, 2011 12:19 am

Yeah that makes sense to use the UHMW on top. I'm not sure the G-10 stats are accurate on there, It doesn't make sense that the other FR$ (which is G-10) is so much stronger. Also here are some alternate stats for G-10 http://www.technicalproductsinc.com/garolite%20mat.%20spec.htm. I think you have a good idea with the shock absorbing.
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sun May 22, 2011 1:37 am

onlinemetals will sell you 2 inches of grade 5 titanium shaft for 3 dolla holla!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sun May 22, 2011 10:50 am

i only need about 1 1/4" Wink i was planning to cut the rod i have.
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sun May 22, 2011 7:20 pm

I do have a nagging question: how would i attach the weapon to this shaft? will i need to get a threading tool?
Or would a keyway fit be recommended?
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sun May 22, 2011 8:11 pm

I think i might do a combination of both. i did a sketch to see if it would work, and it looks like it would work very well.

I also started doing some "better" sketches of the weapon, and did some measurements. if the inside diameter of the weapon is 4", i came up with about 2.1595 in^3 total volume with a 1/8" thick wall and 1/16" thick top including the holes.

Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sun May 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Is the shell aluminum ? what grade? will it be turned from a solid rod?

as for the mounting it seems common to incorporate the hub that holds the bearings and the pulley into the mounting of the shell that way it dosent need to have a seperate locking mechanism
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sun May 22, 2011 8:47 pm

probably not aluminum, as that material tends to be fairly easily bendable, but not so much un-bendable.

it will probably be out of a solid rod, turned down on a mill. then i could make a mold so i can make copies of it more cheaply.
as for actual choice, i haven't a clue. whatever weight works out to be around 240g with 2.1595 cubic inches. which would mean a density of up to .245 pounds/cubic inch. i haven't a clue the densities of materials. then again i haven't done much searching either.

as for the locking mechanism, this solution (to me anyway) seems like the fastest way to mount and remove the shell easily, while still being able to reattach it perfectly (or very close to it) balanced.

If you could show me a sketch or even a real example of what you're talking about that would be really helpful.
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sun May 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Here is a playful actual-size remake of my battlebot, in lego form. cheers

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   

Back to top Go down