Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Share | 

Camden's confoundations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 2796
Registration date : 2011-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:08 am

looks really nice have you hit anything yet?

and i would consider cutting out a new base plate and try to use as many of the motor mount screws as you can

also is that acrylic or polycarb plastic?
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 2807
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:15 am

It's polycarb. Yes, it's cracking. I'm going to do some modifications on the baseplate and cut it, i'll just remove the old motor mount holes, and crew it snugly in place.

I haven't hit anything yet because I need the micro deans connector to charge the battery for it, it's waiting. That, and the motor isn't secure.

EDIT: I managed to get 1 screw through the polycarbonate. woo.

Now I need to get that battery charged...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlkY963resI&feature=youtu.be

I did a makeshift connection. It works enough to test. Unfortunately, there was a LOT of friction (more than the other motor ever had to deal with) And the motor barely got warm. I have it set to a 6 second throttle increase to prevent burning or spinning out. As you can see in the video, it still manages to really torque the bot. At half throttle.

Moar edits! I fixed the friction problem. Unfortunately, one of the servo leads on the wheel ESC broke off. It is now way scarier. I'm too afraid to go full throttle.

Anyone have some advice for heat treating s7 to N45?
Back to top Go down
SamM
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 2994
Registration date : 2009-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:04 am

How did you solve the ESC wire problem? I've taken to hot gluing or gooping signal wire connections. Just curious as to what you did.
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:37 pm

You seem to have horrible luck with servo leads Laughing
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:12 pm

I re-soldered the broken lead, but since they are so pulled out, they have a very high chance of touching, which confuses it sometimes.

I can charge the battery with the JST lead still, as it's working with the makeshift connection. I don't want to attack anything yet since the teeth aren't hardened.
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:15 pm

The test. of the motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G5F9m4-du4&feature=youtu.be

Unfortunately, after I shut off the video, it spontaneously went full throttle, possibly due to the throttle trim getting held (didn't notice) or possibly because of a short circuit in one of the motor ESC's. There was no controller response. I had to pull the plug while it was going full throttle. (took 15 seconds, and luckily it was upside-down when it acted up)

The motor got to maybe 40 degrees Celsius through all these charades, and somehow the belt survived unscathed. I think I fixed the belt problem XD

I can safely say nothing will fly out when it's upside-down, but those screws hurt tying to slow the inside down Shocked

So, unfortunately, this would not pass check-in. If it were to go haywire when it's upright, this is one bot you wouldn't want to touch.

http://www.buffaloprecision.com/data_sheets/DSS7TSbpp.pdf
http://www.pmtsco.com/S7.HTM
http://www.diehlsteel.com/products/s-7.html
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:37 pm

leather gloves or a towel could save you a few stitches lol

I would rebind it with the throttle at zero and try a quick turn off of the transmitter to see if it failsafes.

And at least you got to see it spool inverted to see if anything fried Very Happy

Glad to hear your belt stuff is repaired and working good despite the hell you are giving it.

So it would seem short of your constant servo wire malfunctions and failsafe thing you should be nearly combat ready once the teeth are hardened. cheers
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Good news! the teeth are scheduled to be hardened next friday!! also, the bolts the motor came with threaded themselves into the mount holes, so I can use those to attach it. cheers

AND, despite rigorous cornered testing (shoving it against a wall on full throttle) I can safely say only a suctionbot will be able to stop it from spinning, unless there is an arena exit...that could be a problem. One of the lego wheels broke the glue holding it to the shaft, so now it could fly off (must re-glue...) and it's causing lots of trouble with steering.

The new motor almost doubles the countersteer to the point where I have to be spinning the wheels the opposite direction to keep it in place. Spinup to the speed of the old motor is now 4 seconds, and top speed is increased a bit, (must find tachometer).

The motor's weight is about the same as the old one, and the stuff I took off should be enough to keep it under weight.

The spontaneous flooring happens when I turn off the controller instead of having the opposite effect, I'll try re-binding it to see if that fixes it.

I ran out of electrical tape, but that's ok.

Redesign of the baseplate will commence next week.

Then, Spinook will be deadly as hell, and ready for combat. Presumably, the only thing that could break is the wiring. Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ToX_nkiy6A&feature=youtu.be
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:34 pm

If you can venture to any of the p.a tournaments i will resurrect my antihyzer catbowl fbs just to fight this well engineered fbs and maybe a friendly wager? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:19 pm

It will be entered in every tournament I can possibly make it to...which may be not that many, but if nothing else, I can..erm..."test" it against lego robots that people make, it does have lego wheels, after all XD

In other news, I accidentally depleted the cells on the battery to 6v total...the charger refused to charge it as a 3s, so I charged it as a 2s until it reached 8v, then went back to 3s.

Hopefully I didn't just accidentally kill the poor thing Sad Idk how good deep cycling is for lipos haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK9Ko0yE-eU&feature=youtu.be
Back to top Go down
Luke

People Skills : 2432
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:33 pm

Camden W wrote:
It will be entered in every tournament I can possibly make it to...which may be not that many, but if nothing else, I can..erm..."test" it against lego robots that people make, it does have lego wheels, after all XD

In other news, I accidentally depleted the cells on the battery to 6v total...the charger refused to charge it as a 3s, so I charged it as a 2s until it reached 8v, then went back to 3s.

Hopefully I didn't just accidentally kill the poor thing Sad Idk how good deep cycling is for lipos haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK9Ko0yE-eU&feature=youtu.be

I fear for the life of the antweight I am building...
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:08 pm

I just weighed it, it comes in at a cool 449.54g

The new micro-deans have arrived, and so have all the other things for my RC vehicles. Everything is getting fixed and running in top condition!! cheers

I decided the orange belt lets the motor give the shell too much torque...it was spinning out of control on startup. The o-rings provide just enough to not let it do that easily.

It spins so fast it needs something to move towards it to get a good hit, or I get it to full speed then reduce power, that makes it really easy to control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Akeh2S8Hpo&feature=youtu.be

EDIT!

The PLASTIC prototype blades just raped a bean can, WITH DAMAGE to themselves. (it's a perfect slice down the length of the tooth. I tried some self-righting tests, and can confirm the shell is too heavy. Don't flip it, and you will lose. *trollface*
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:20 pm

I found time to grid down spinook's first set of teeth, so they will be used against wedges and solid bots. Needless to say, they graze the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaQEXH5ZaVk&feature=youtu.be

Spinook doesn't like wedges...or screwdrivers...

Anyone think I can make a 150g FBS? It's been done before!

I found another 450g FBS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nSpNXDNArU&feature=BFa&list=LPS_AtWQbdzbc

Aluminum bots beware. Spinook is now stable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-lSiyyXCLM&feature=youtu.be
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:40 pm

'Nuff said.

This was half throttle. It got a good enough bite to chuck the aluminum shell at painful velocities, and it also chucked the robot in the opposite direction, to hit a wall, chuck itself again, and slow to 10%. it then spun right back up for more. The teeth suffered no damage. I always make sure that it hits objects horizontal to me so as nothing will hit me. The walls aren't so lucky Laughing (there is no noticeable damage, since there are already so many dents everywhere from previous people living here)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v4CVdvp-DE&feature=youtu.be
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:45 pm

nice damage did you do all this testing with only one screw holding the motor? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:16 am

1 1/2 screws :p

As it is in this picture, spinook weighs 461.3g. But it's so ShamWOW! sexy with 4 teeth!

Weight reduction options: remove some top mount screws (saves 3.5g)

Get smaller battery (saves enough to make weight grams)

Find me some cheap <$7 3s lipos that weigh 45 grams or less! (current batt. is 53g)

I need to find some really small keyhole nuts to hold the motor's shaft in place (It must have been glued, because it can slide out of the whole can)
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

People Skills : 5735
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:25 pm

You have really got to stop "testing" they way you have been

I'm going to remove links to any videos from here on out that I can see you are with in inches of the bots spinning weapon (or any videos that I determine are dangerous). Its not something that is going to be promoted here.
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:41 am

Then I won't post my most recent test with 4 blades. It is able to grab cylinders (pop cans on the side) and rip them because of the sharp teeth on top. It does make it overweight, but a smaller battery can remedy that.

I just ordered some spare parts and setscrews, they should be here today or tomorrow, according to Mcmaster.

The new baseplate is scheduled to be cut this weekend.

Spinook will be hella dangerous and stable, and it will be unlikely to break itself during combat because of the new layout.

This concludes spinook design phase. Now I need to find events, or just test it against some wood.

Again, what 3s are people using in their bots? I may use these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19118__Turnigy_nano_tech_350mah_3S_65_130C_Lipo_Pack.html
Back to top Go down
Stephen
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 3233
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:02 am

im really liking your design and man you must have no fear haha
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/WestMifflinRobotics
Stephen
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:24 am

i just watched you Spinook 4-bladed spin up test and i used the same O-Ring / belt that you used on my robot KV and there were a few drawbacks and a few good things

Drawbacks
the belt deforming at "top speed" your really not getting anywhere near your top speed because the second that your belt deforms all it doing is slipping so you will never hit full speed. and the longer you do run your motor at top speed the more the belt will stretch out and your going to have to change it after a few fights or your top speed will be even slower

another thing is most of the time with those belts you will get dust coming off of it which can clog up your motors

good things
they slip so when you do hit something it doesn't put pressure on your motor and the belt wont break during the match

Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:04 pm

New goal! Create Atom, from Real Steel. (just watched it)

Also, I have noticed the dust from the belt, and so far it's just piling up right in front of the wires, which I consider a good thing, extra protection from the belt itself. However one of the wires seems to be a little close:

Spinook could potentially incapacitate itself eventually If I keep using loose belts XD

I got some spare parts for it, so now it will have 8 standoffs, one of which will be helping hold the motor in place.

I just need to bring it to the lab to drill out the holes a little to fit the 3mm screws.

I got a new wrench set, $20, but the 2mm/3mm piece somehow vanished literally an hour after I bought it. Hopefully it will turn up somewhere. For now, I have to use the 5/64" bit to open it up, but the 2.5mm one works with the other set of bolts.

And, The setscrews also arrived, so now the motor won't kill itself.

Well, I made a new belt, this one is a little too tight, and is making the motor pull a lot of amps. Luckily, because it pulls so hard, the BEC on the ESC cannot supply the RX the power it needs when the battery gets below 10A, so it will automatically stop.
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:43 pm

For some reason, spinook is starting to go rogue. Its spindown time allows it to run crazy when it loses connection if the servos were moving at all, leading to some scary moments. Hopefully this goes away after the belt loosens up a bit.
Back to top Go down
Stephen
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:03 pm

whats happening is it just getting unbalanced
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:06 pm

No, the rx just stops getting power when the motor spins up sometimes. It's much scarier when i can't control its movements lol.
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:17 pm

If its starting to do odd things spinning down i HIGHLY reccomend you test it without the teeth on and find out the problem before you lose a finger or a toe lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   

Back to top Go down

Camden's confoundations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 18 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Battlebots :: General Discussion-
Jump to: