Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Share | 

Camden's confoundations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20
AuthorMessage
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 2869
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:30 am

I managed to tin my iron just a tiny fraction, and the difference is instantaneous work, it makes it soooooo much easier to solder that i was able to do THIS in about 20 minutes:

Now all i have to do is connect the other motor and stuff everything in the bot. but i't midnight and i have class at 8. so i'm happy with this progress Razz

EDIT::  All the wiring has been taken care of. I discovered that one of my motors is burnt out, and the esc, even when re-calibrated, only wants to reverse at low speeds. Which is fine, as the controls are reversed and is confusing anyway, but spinook is now assembled and ready for mecha mayhem!!!

How much does it weigh?  THISMUCH

Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Mecha 2013 testing   Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:36 pm

I have encountered one problem. heavy loads like plastic bags cause the bot to stop responding, forcing a reconnect of the battery to fix.  More info in the actual video description on youtube.
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Spinook finally fought arena combat!!! My videos are uploading right now. I fought against low blow and vile ant as the true contenders, never had a chance to fight bruce or lil. soldier except in the rumble.

My first fight against Low blow was a victory for me, since all the electronics and the weapon were working fine for most of the match. Near the end, my belt came off and low blow bent the first weapon deadshaft, so i had to get fancy with my driving and throw him into the hammers to try to break something, it ended up breaking his motor mount and taking off a wheel.

Unfortunately, this was the only fight at the entire event I didn't get, because my camera battery died just before the fight.Mad  Only one camera actually got the footage, and it was a cellphone with only half the view of the arena Sad  But it was alex's phone, so he may post it.

As for the rumble, I ended up being a arena hazard since one of the wheel esc's wasn't working. Turns out thats also where most of the damage occurred.

After my first match, pretzel robotics and jim lent me an orange rx (same one they use in demise) and a 2 gram capacitor that i managed to find a spot for. Total weight: 454g.

I was probably the least prepared to repair my bot, after discovering both my spare wheel motors weren't functional, and I had no spare esc's or motor or baseplate. I basically went there with what I had.

Matches as they occurred.

I was Unplugged D:

This was taken after the rumble, Vile Ant managed to chew enough shell to turn it into a mini tooth. Only possible since i wasn't spinning. 125 mph tip speed on those weapons does a considerable amount of damage.  

The polycarb baseplate also finally cracked nearly all the way after the rumble.

He also hit my tooth so many times I had to dremel out the damage to unscrew the bolts. On the other side, I had been using stainless bolts, and a hard hit against the steel arena wall caused them to nearly shear off, so now i need a big pair of pliers to wrench it loose. I'll get a pic once the youtube vids are done uploading.

SO! Damage assessment:

Shell: mostly cosmetic, nothing a dremel can't smooth out

Baseplate: shock from above caused massive cracking and deformation around central hole.

Weapon Shaft: bent 20 degrees starting just below the bearings in the hub, destroying the bottom bearing.

(29mm from the bottom of the shaft is the point where the bend occurred)

Teeth: Thwacked so many times I can't get one of em loose.

Electronics: Not sure yet, But i think I lost both my drive motors and/or esc's, and the weapon motor dislodged another magnet.

Total damages: $3 - 90, depending on severity of electronics malfunction.

Things to fix: 

• reinforced central mount on baseplate
  • get shell (4140 steel) hardened to N45
  • Make some more N45 s7 teeth milled
  • instead of cheap stainless bolts, find 12.8 grade steel partially threaded (no more than 5mm thread length on a 40mm m5 bolt if possible) for the main shaft
  • Turn down shell on lathe to balance/make weight after aforementioned upgrades.
  • Carry spare everything for the robot (that's $150 worth of parts)

Last edited by Camden W on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:53 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Badnik96

People Skills : 1956
Registration date : 2012-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Camden W wrote:
I was probably the least prepared to repair my bot, after discovering both my spare wheel motors weren't functional, and I had no spare esc's or motor or baseplate. I basically went there with what I had.
Lol, reminds me of me at Bot Blast. I was overconfident about the strength of my motors and didn't get any spares XD

Good job coming third, now we can be first-time third place buddies Razz
Back to top Go down
http://battlebots.wikia.com/wiki/BattleBots_Wiki-Main_Page
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:02 pm

If I hadn't been unplugged in my match against vile ant, I probably would have won. But i was rushed to get to the fight and my battery didn't connect right. After that match, my electronics started acting up, so I didn't have much going into the rumble.  It turns out I need to upgrade a few spots on my bot.

Anyway, First Third place buddies :3

I found pictures of the fight I couldn't record!

Start here to scroll through them all if you want
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=458643737582617&set=a.458635314250126.1073741827.278977972215862&type=3&permPage=1
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:22 am

Things fixing:
Baseplate

Fixed the motor, all electronics weigh 119.62g

Fixes/upgrades:
($20)
If you have a lighter or smaller alternative to these, let me know.
($50) bot goes 2.4 MPH with these
($34)  the one I use now is an AT2206-17, not sure what the number after the dash represents.

I was loaned a receiver by team pretzel with Vile ant and demise, (Thanks guys!) that I am unable to source online.

It weighs 2.55g, and binds correctly to all of my transmitters. It doesn't have an integrated capacitor, which is okay, since I was also loaned a 

16v 470 uF one that weighs 2.08g

I'm guessing the price is around $15 for the rx and $3 for the capacitor.

In total, replacements/spare parts will cost upwards of $175 to make a spinook capable of repairs/shiny parts. for sure, though, are the central shaft and thrust bearing. It's a design fix to prevent this from happening again:

Further testing indicates that either my esc's or my wheel motors are infact broken.

The same problem occurs binding to three different recievers: 

• weapon motor fully functional
  • Left side esc tries to function properly, but any stick movement causes the motor to stop spinning and heat up, spin the opposite way, or spin normally for a few seconds.
  • right side esc blinks very rapidly red. faster than normal blinking, but not solid.

I cannot test different ESCs as I only have 2, and my other wheel motors both do not function.

At this point in time, spinook is a glorified hockey puck.
Back to top Go down
zwtipp05

People Skills : 2770
Registration date : 2010-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:41 pm

Looks like Mecha Mayhem was fun!

That Rx looks like http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11972__OrangeRx_R410_Spektrum_DSM2_Compatible_4Ch_2_4Ghz_Receiver.html

Now comes the fun part, redesign and rebuild to make it better!  I think I've only gone two events in a row without a rebuild (though I usually would put it off until the week before and rush it, so don't be like me!)
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:14 pm

Unfortunately I do not currently have the funding to make repairs on my robot, let alone feed myself Razz

I got a look at the inside of low blow, they always end up running into problems with their gearboxes.

" />
Back to top Go down
Badnik96

People Skills : 1956
Registration date : 2012-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:01 am

Hey Cam, how well did the lego wheels hold up? I'm planning to use basically the same drive system with my next ant. I'm assuming you drilledd in a setscrew so it stayed put?
Back to top Go down
http://battlebots.wikia.com/wiki/BattleBots_Wiki-Main_Page
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:36 pm

[quote:e5ec="Badnik96"]Hey Cam, how well did the lego wheels hold up? I'm planning to use basically the same drive system with my next ant. I'm assuming you drilledd in a setscrew so it stayed put?[/quote:e5ec]

They held up very well. And actually, there was no setscrew, although i was looking to add one.

All I did was drill a 2mm hole in the wheel, then i shoved it onto the D shaft with brute force. and voila, it stayed. I will say, however, I have lost a few wheels due to the excessive torque turning the D shape in the plastic into a circle, rendering it slippery and making the bot harder to control. In fact, i can attribute two of my matches with sloppy handling the fault of a slippery wheel. I advise a setscrew.

By very well, i mean they weren't touched. I had the same pair through the whole competition, though i did have about 6 spares.

On another note, I just purchased a new weapon motor. the current one has 3 loose magnets and 2 broken feet. I learned my lesson with mounting. this time i won't drill into the 1.5mm holes. my grandpa runs model trains and he has the perfect brass bolts i can use.

IN FACT I have $3000 in the bank that will all disappear when i pay for this semester of college. I shall buy new components.

I have now purchased new hardware, 2 plus a spare wheel motors, and a weapon motor. The ESC's are out of stock, so we will see what happens.

[img:e5ec]http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/16/44/64/39/2014-010.jpg[/img:e5ec]
[img:e5ec]http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/16/44/64/39/2014-011.jpg[/img:e5ec]
Progress on the rebuild. The baseplate has been modified and cut. I did pretty well, considering i was using a drill press and lined up holes by pencil marks from the broken baseplate. The motor mounts to 4 points now. But it will be a bit before i get to it again.

Also I discovered user knightrous from AU had the original 150g ti disc bot, neat stuff. http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1466&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=375
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:31 am

Is this forum dead?

I'm looking into downsizing my electronics to make a new upgrade to spinook.

If anyone is willing to machine out a new shell for me, I can order a chunk of 4130 from mcmaster that would only take 2 mounting operations and some tabs with a 1/2" bit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camden's confoundations   

Back to top Go down

Camden's confoundations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 20 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Battlebots :: General Discussion-
Jump to: