Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Luke

Luke

People Skills : 4796
Registration date : 2011-04-16

Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Here is all I have so far on my first beetle weight design. Feel free to comment and post suggestions.
(Planning to determine weight upon final decision upon parts)

Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design Bot_de11

All parts may Change
Side Armor: Half inch UHMW (Is the strength difference between standard and premium worth the price difference)
Bottom Plate 1/8 6061 aluminium alloy
Top 1/8 Lexan (may switch to 1/8 6061 aluminum if weight allows or UHMW)
Reinforcing Bars: Half inch UHMW
Power: Lipo Battery (more details to be determined suggestions extremely welcome)
Receiver: SR300 3-Channel DSM Sport Surface Receiver (Any suggestions on smaller cheaper receivers)
Drive Motor :2 Gearmotor, 1000 rpm
Pulley: FingerTech Timing Pulley 15T
Belt: FingerTech Timing Belt 231mm (77T)
Wheel:BaneBots Wheel, 1-5/8" x 0.4"
Drive ESC: BB-3-9 ESC
Weapon Motor: Turnigy 450/500 H2223 Brushless outrunner 3500KV (May change if better one is found suggestions welcome)
Weapon ESC: DYS 50A Brushless ESC
Weapon gear box 3:1 (Model yet to be determined suggestions welcome)

This is currently my first design, so do not be surprised if you see any major issues although I think all listed parts will function properly together.

(Edit: Will be timing belt between the drive motor, and the wheel on the other side)
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7784
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 9:49 pm

I think 1/4" or 3/8" UHMW is suffecient in a beetleweight
Back to top Go down
Luke

Luke

PostSubject: Thanks   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Cody wrote:
I think 1/4" or 3/8" UHMW is suffecient in a beetleweight
Thanks , was unsure about what would be necessary and thought just to start thicker due to it being better to have to thick of armor over to thin, but hearing this will use 1/4 or 3/8s to save money and weight. Also is it worth buying the premium UHMW, or will the standard suffice? Haven't really handled either types.

Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

People Skills : 4983
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:02 pm

After talking heavily with Frisco he says that it is not necessary to buy the premium stuff, he told me that the natural stuff works great for side armor, and the high heat is a little but stiffer which also allows for better front skids
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:05 pm

Kyle will be a great resource for building any insect bot. Hopefully he'll throw his thoughts in soon.
The only different type of UHMW I know about is the UV resistant UHMW which doesnt do anything for this purpose.
You may be able to get away with using something a little thinner/lighter then the 1.8 alum for the base plate. I know kyle uses alot of 1/16" garolite in his bots
Back to top Go down
Luke

Luke

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Cody wrote:
Kyle will be a great resource for building any insect bot. Hopefully he'll throw his thoughts in soon.
The only different type of UHMW I know about is the UV resistant UHMW which doesnt do anything for this purpose.
You may be able to get away with using something a little thinner/lighter then the 1.8 alum for the base plate. I know kyle uses alot of 1/16" garolite in his bots

Will look into that as well then, so far all of my experience has just come from what I've seen on minis so a lot of these materials were influenced by that
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Another viable plastic may be nylon impregneted with teflon I have used this in the past and it is extremely light but also really strong, it is a dream to machine- however do not let it get to hot or it will melt
Back to top Go down
Luke

Luke

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:14 pm

hard hitter wrote:
Another viable plastic may be nylon impregneted with teflon I have used this in the past and it is extremely light but also really strong, it is a dream to machine- however do not let it get to hot or it will melt

Not sure if that would work for the base plate due to having a weapon motor, 2 drive motors, and battery mounted on it. Will look into that though for the top armor though, and possibly side armor if they sell it thick enough and cheap enough.
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:16 pm

i have seen it as thick as two inch by 24 inch long and it is decently priced from what i remember, i have also seen it used for the main frame itself and from what i could tell the teams really liked it
Back to top Go down
Luke

Luke

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:18 pm

hard hitter wrote:
i have seen it as thick as two inch by 24 inch long and it is decently priced from what i remember, i have also seen it used for the main frame itself and from what i could tell the teams really liked it

Do you know of any sites that have it for sale?, tried doing a google search on it but can't seem to find any sites with it.
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:20 pm

Try possibly mcmaster carr or the place that i got it was a company that is in bussiness with like thermo plastics and things of that sort but i cannot remember the company name
However i can tell you that it is black in color, and really rigid and light- similar in characteristics to uhmw
Back to top Go down
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

People Skills : 5900
Registration date : 2009-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:35 pm

ya 1/8" is kind of a super base plate, look into 1/16" garolite, that should plenty. i've build a couple bots with as thin as 1/32"

as for your frame i would suggest 3/8" uhmw all the way round with some 1/4" polycarb supports if you feel you need them.

use wood screws in the uhmw it doesn't hold threads worth crap

and mcmaster is you best friend
Back to top Go down
Luke

Luke

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:40 pm

Koolaid64 wrote:
ya 1/8" is kind of a super base plate, look into 1/16" garolite, that should plenty. i've build a couple bots with as thin as 1/32"

as for your frame i would suggest 3/8" uhmw all the way round with some 1/4" polycarb supports if you feel you need them.

use wood screws in the uhmw it doesn't hold threads worth crap

and mcmaster is you best friend

Already been looking through McMasters a ton can't seem to find the teflon impregnated nylon though, and will ditch the 1/8 aluminum and go with 1/16 garolite if you all have had good experiences with it, and most likely will have at least one cross support just to support the drive and weapon motors.

Also thank you everyone for all the help.
Back to top Go down
Stephen
super contributor
super contributor
Stephen

People Skills : 5587
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:52 pm

yah i would defiantly go with the 1/4 inch uhmw i used it on my robot and took little damage and it would be a lot cheaper so you would be able to have multiple sheets of it to change it out if it gets banged up too bad
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WestMifflinRobotics
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

People Skills : 5900
Registration date : 2009-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:57 pm

i wouldn't worry about using nylon for a frame material, uhmw is the better choice. the only thing i use nylon for is making one piece wheel hub/bushing
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 11:14 pm

Koolaid64 wrote:
i wouldn't worry about using nylon for a frame material, uhmw is the better choice. the only thing i use nylon for is making one piece wheel hub/bushing

thats the only advantage a teflon nylon will really give you since its self lubricating
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design   Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions/Comments on First Beetle Weight Design
Page 1 of 1