Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Share | 

Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

People Skills : 2796
Registration date : 2011-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Sun May 22, 2011 2:01 am

heres mine

case #1
3lb robot
battery 16v
motor 2x b16's
wheels banebots 1 7/8" 30a
2 fingertech tiny esc v2's
castle ice 50 with 6v bec
castle outrunner proto 800 watt
results: both running bec full competetion no problems

Last edited by Evan Steeves on Mon May 23, 2011 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin

People Skills : 3983
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon May 23, 2011 12:30 am

1 lb robot (Conundrum)
Battery: 2S 430mAh 45C
Motor: 56:1 sanyo, then Pololu's 30:1 HVs
Wheel: Custom 1.5" dia
Receiver: AR6100, AR6110, BR600

Result: GLITCHFEST. srsly. I have no idea what the problem was. I replaced every single component in that bot except for the tinyESCs.

1 lb robot (Shred)
- same as above -

Result: SUCCESS! Many minutes of drive time, no problems.

-Captain of Copperheads 2 to pi, mastermind of the Dethinator, Creator of Conundrum, and Sultan of Shred. Heh. Sultan of Shred. It's kinda catchy... I like it!
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
FingerTech

People Skills : 2365
Registration date : 2011-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon May 23, 2011 2:47 pm

Keep in mind we are only concerned with the tinyESC V2. They are different enough from the V1s that listing V1 setups will only muddle things. Alex, maybe add this to your first post?
Evan, I know at least one of yours must be V1s because you distinguish between BEC and nonBEC. Dan, are yours all V2?
Back to top Go down
http://www.FingerTechRobotics.com
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon May 23, 2011 3:16 pm

only my 3 pound robot is using the v2's at this stage due to the first versions not breaking Very Happy
Back to top Go down
FingerTech

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon May 23, 2011 3:18 pm

If the V2s were as rocksteady as the V1s, we wouldn't have this thread! Smile
If you don't mind, can you edit your above post so that only the V2 bot is listed? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon May 23, 2011 3:35 pm

alex has that capability i cant edit my posts Sad
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon May 23, 2011 4:21 pm

thanks alex!
Back to top Go down
FingerTech

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Tue May 24, 2011 2:43 pm

Bots that are having trouble:

150g bot
2 50:1 sanyos
1.125" wheels
2 tinyESC V2
6A Turnigy Plush
HK Spektrum OrangeRX 4Ch
7.4v 250 mAh LiPoly
using the BEC from the Plush, tinyESC red wires disconnected
*Calibrated fine, driven 2-3 times, drove 30sec, tinyESC died (was used as BEC). Just gets hot now.
*Replacement esc arrived, drove for a while, hitting a block of wood, same motor's tinyESC died. Just gets hot now.

3lb bot
50:1 Silver Sparks
2.25" wheels
2x 2s 910mah 20/30c Thunderpower packs in series (14.8V)
40a Brushless ESC from Hobbyking, BEC disconnected
BR6000
tinyESCsv2, using both BECs
*Blade hit wall, both tinyESCs died.
*Tried using Sabertooth - most of the electrical issues (drive and weapon sporadically dying) were caused by the weapon setup drawing so much current during spin-up that it would just sap it from the drive side of the bot. This could have been affecting the tinyESCs.

1lb bot
2 35:1 Sparks
?" wheels
2 tinyESC V2
18A Turnigy Plush
HK Spektrum OrangeRX 4Ch
11.1v 460 mAh LiPoly
using the BEC from the Plush, tinyESC red wires disconnected
*Plugged in, green LEDs on, moved stick, one tinyESC instantly died. Just gets hot now.

3lb bot
4 20:1 Sparks
2" wheels
2 tinyESC V2
Mystery 12A Weapon esc (not involved)
Spektrum AR6110E
TP 11.1v 850mAh LiPoly
One tinyESC red wire disconnected (tinyESC that is not powering the receiver died)
*While test driving, the other ESC just stopped working. No leds at all.
Cycled power, both LEDs on, but very dim, erratic, and wavering. Then they fade out (sometimes accompanied by a quiet popping sound). Now heats up.
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Tue May 24, 2011 2:47 pm

could this be a quality control failure at the component levle in the manufacturing process?
Back to top Go down
FingerTech

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Tue May 24, 2011 2:49 pm

It's not impossible, but I sent multiple replacements to the above listed teams. I believe they each finally got their robots working, but do not have info on what they changed. I will contact them all for a follow-up and post the results.
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Tue May 24, 2011 2:54 pm

If they changed components besides the tiny esc v2 then they were adding another variable to the failure diagnostics. I look forward to see the results.
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin

People Skills : 3983
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Wed May 25, 2011 11:43 pm

mine were both V1s...

-Captain of Copperheads 2 to pi, mastermind of the Dethinator, Creator of Conundrum, and Sultan of Shred. Heh. Sultan of Shred. It's kinda catchy... I like it!
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
FingerTech

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon May 30, 2011 4:06 pm

I heard back from one of the competitors who was having trouble. In the 150g bot, he ran it with the 1 good tinyESC and 1 BB-3-9 for two matches before the tinyESC died. He also said that there was a lot of mysterious radio glitching in this bot (using the OrangeRX) even though his two other bots use the same radio and work fine (they run Ant100 and Ant150 escs).

So really, no definitive answers.
Back to top Go down
FingerTech

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon May 30, 2011 4:45 pm

I've got another robot to add to the troubled list. My own minisumo!

500g autonomous minisumo
Battery Voltage: 11.1V
Motor/Gearbox: four 63:1 Gold Sparks
Tire Size: 1"
Receiver: autonomous - servo pulses sent from PIC microchip.
Bec's being used: BECs disconnected, only powering self-circuitry
Results: kept killing right-side tinyESC, working now

To note, there were two Sparks on each tinyESC. At 11.1V, potential spikes of over 4A could be happening when reversing motors. (This turns out not too be a problem.)
This robot worked fine through all sorts of testing, and during competition at RoboGames 2011. It only started having trouble when I tested it before shipping to the Western Canada Robot Games.

I tried alllll sorts of things to get it to work. Initially the tinyESC would run for a couple minutes then die as the robot reversed away from the edge of the ring. I would swap in a new one, same thing. Eventually it got worse and worse until a tinyESC would die as soon as I plugged it in (if there was a signal being sent to it) even with the wheels off the ground.

Skipping all the fixes that didn't work, I eventually discovered that one or both of the Spark motors on the right side were damaged (thanks to the baggage handlers?).
I soldered a new tinyESC to the right-back motor only, and it did not die. But it did send back a huge amount of noise on the 5V line, which had the added effect of resetting the electronics (making it REALLY fun to diagnose!). This was once I had tied the 5V line of the BEC into the 5V of the main pcb. Otherwise it would not have reset itself.

When I then soldered that tinyESC to the right-front motor instead, it died right away. So I replaced both motors and everything works perfectly again. Looking into the motor guts, the gearboxes were fine, but both of the motors had arcing marks on the commutator (as expected), and one of the motors had a support ring (I think that's what it is) come off and was shorting the motor leads out sporadically, and possibly also interfering with things physically. Unfortunately, I don't know if the ring motor corresponded with the noisy 5V, or the insta-death.

I don't know why the sporadic shorting caused noise on the 5V line, or instantly blew the esc - whichever it was. Neither makes sense to me yet.
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon May 30, 2011 4:55 pm

its common with brushed motors that have brush arcing to short through the armature and act like a brush burned up

also for my 540 size motors i always solder a diode onto the leads to reduce noise if noise is still prevelant you can wrap the signal wire through a graphite tube to stop interference

Thank you kurtis for posting your findings and problems with this it really shows your dedication to your product and why i continue to purchase your products cheers
Back to top Go down
FingerTech

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon May 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Explain the diode on the leads? Or do you mean capacitor? I agree that a cap is a good recommendation and one people should follow more often! (I don't usually do it either!) Smile
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon May 30, 2011 5:26 pm

i use caps when i have some strange power drain issues but i use a scotchy diode i think its called it basically reduces the electrical noise of the brushes somehow? they come presoldered on alot of brushed motors nowdays
Back to top Go down
FingerTech

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon May 30, 2011 7:14 pm

That's interesting. How is it soldered? To the can or across the leads? Two or just one?
I would imagine it to be two, opposing each other, between the leads. This would short any big spikes through the diodes instead of letting them into the electronics.
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon May 30, 2011 10:13 pm

they are each soldered to the positive and negative and grounded to the can together.
Back to top Go down
FingerTech

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Tue May 31, 2011 1:49 pm

Aha, basically the same as I described, with the added bonus of sucking up the generated RF noise. Neato.
Back to top Go down
FingerTech

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:12 pm

Over two hundred tinyESC v2's out there, and only Alex and Evan on this forum have used them?
The working/nonworking configuration list needs a bigger sample size!
Back to top Go down
Koolaid64
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor

People Skills : 3560
Registration date : 2009-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:32 pm

sorry i only have v1's and a large collection of the bb 3-9s
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:52 pm

update my 3 pound bar spinner hexxus competed at gcrs 7 this weekend using two tiny esc v2s driving b16 gearmotors on a 3 cell lipo they survived two fights and a rumble without a single hiccup and will be used for more robots down the road cheers
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

People Skills : 5568
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:14 pm

How did you do? who won?

2010 Franklin Cup winner
Vapor bots..Ho
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Evan Steeves
super contributor
super contributor

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:25 pm

rjw wrote:
How did you do? who won?

lefty from ram robotics won the beetles
and shazbot won the ants

i got dead last once again but did a bunch of damage to everyone that i touched except voodoo magic who only had his disc damaged by me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread   

Back to top Go down

Fingertech Tiny ESC V2 Discussion Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next