Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Teddybot

People Skills : 4675
Registration date : 2011-06-07

Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game Empty
PostSubject: Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game   Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 1:12 am

Botbattle where you program bots to destroy other peoples bots.

The first Botbattle uses a scripted language.
Example:
if abot is above me
set target to abot
fire laser
else

The second Botbattle was made to test Bots written in Java.
BotbattlePro was one of my best achievements in programming.
It took your Java Bot class and compiled it on a server.
Then uploaded the files to another server thousands of miles away.
There it created a folder and redirected you to a fabricated html page which would run the competition.
A kid from Norway (PMNOX) or somewhere crazy like that which has kids with 180 I.Q. came and made a bot that destroyed me.
He did not know Java and by the end of the week he was the master.
Nobody else really played Botbattle pro because barely anybody knew
Java.

Botbattle 1: Psuedocode to control bot
Botbattle pro: Real Java code to control bot
Botbattle 2: Testing beefed up gates. Typical and, or, neg and special copy commands.

A certain copy command will copy from input 0 if it is state is 0 and input 1 if it is 1.
This is a basic multiplexer which allows chasing the bot or powerup while being wired to one common circuit.

Below is a research project on the feasibility of using universal gates to control the bot instead of Botbattle Botcode.
A version with basic bots that don't fire lasers right away will be posted soon. Thanks!

Using check states for the world you can link logic together.
To save on making circuits for basic functions the operations are added as a single operand.
For instance to connect to one of two wires based on a state there is a copy command that does that.
Each logic gate also stores one bit.
The connections of the logic gate do not need to connect to its own bit.

There is a bit for shooting the laser, a bit for shooting bullets.
A bit for if the enemy robot is up or the powerup is down
Bits you can set for firing at enemy, setting leading etc...

The original Botbattle is online but requires an old Java.
It is open source and available too.

The youtube link to see a quick video of the new botbattle is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uolq7UCmdXA

It is very early in dev and I'd need to see some interest from the bot crowd to complete it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Teddybot on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Camden W
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 4882
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game   Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 1:25 pm

interesting...the coding of the bot is similar to the only type of stuff we did on our Boe-Bots in school, it was all text-based ^^ i may look into this...
Back to top Go down
xhorntail

People Skills : 4673

PostSubject: Re: Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game   Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 5:44 pm

You mentioned the original is open source? I'd love a copy to port to newer Java! If there is any way I can get that from you, please let me know! BotBattle was the game that got me into programming when I was 14, and I've been addicted ever since. I once found the source on the yahoo group I believe, but it has been since shutdown. I found this forum and post after about 4 hours of trying to find out what happened to this amazing game!

I would also love to see your new version come to fruition, I know I for one would support it! It looks very interesting, and may just be the upgrade I would love now that I am grown and experienced enough to play with more options and understand them.
Back to top Go down
Teddybot

PostSubject: Thanks!   Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 9:38 pm

Here is a Botbattle 1 running in Romania:
http://botbattle.3x.ro/

New Botbattle 2:
http://www.botbattle.com/
It is the worst interface in the world at the moment.
An interface with a minimal click mode is one idea.
The lower right square can be dragged in.
Its open source too and anyone can make it better!

Concepts in research:
Bot is 20x20 grid of squares.
Each one can be any gate and each one stores a state.
Any square can wire to any others. Some have 3 wires based on what they do.
This supports parallel processing in the bots!
There is no order of operations.
There are some details in how the gates work that took some thought- it seems pretty good now. The grid operated on a ghost grid in order to make every circuit act at time 0 and then time 1 is purely the result of what happened at time 0. results at time 0 must be stored in a second copy to make it work.

The original Botbattle had laser and bullets requiring both energy and ammo respectively.
Keeping the game about coding and not coding against a bunch of weapons was always a concern. One on one bot fights without a scrolling arena made the best sense to me.
After hours of searching I was only able to find the one with scrolling arena and many weapons.

Hopefully this all respects the forum and helps in making real bots or introduces people in some sort of way.

Last edited by Teddybot on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Teddybot

PostSubject: drag and drop gates   Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 9:54 pm

First tried 20x20 grid of 10x10 squares.
You would click on one then another to link them etc...
You could color nop squares or custom color a gate in order to make your own graphic.

Currently the game supports a .gif for the bot.
The squares are movable.
The colors may not be set yet and the gate colors are fixed.
The squares could have a color for when they are inactive.

The subject of people copying bots:
When you edit a bot you see all of its wiring.
When bots are fighting you only see the active circuits.

If any of a gates outputs are on or that gates state is set to true then the gate and the wires are visible. This is so if a bot is whipping your butt you can't just copy it.
You may have to video the game and go step by step and deduce which bits are what and what he is doing. Or beg him on the forum to tell you.
Back to top Go down
Teddybot

PostSubject: Boe-Bots   Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 9:56 pm

Thank you for mentioning Boe-Bots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boe-Bot
http://www.parallax.com/go/boebot
Back to top Go down
xhorntail

PostSubject: Re: Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game   Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 10:05 pm

The BotBattle Romanian server is something I'm having issues with. I can hear the game and see the arena, but I'm not able to see the bots themselves. I've even tried running a virtual machine with windows XP and the preferred JRE 1.3.1 with little luck regarding this issue. I'd really like to play this one!

I will look into the new one in the mean time until I hear back from you and I will hopefully have more to say regarding that then!

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 5081
Registration date : 2011-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game   Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 11:50 pm

is this like a video game? im lost. lol
Back to top Go down
xhorntail

PostSubject: Re: Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game   Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 12:45 am

It is a game played by programming a robot to compete amongst robots that others have programmed. The original is much more user friendly at the moment, however I do look forward to seeing version 2 progress.
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 5081
Registration date : 2011-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game   Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 12:47 am

xhorntail wrote:
It is a game played by programming a robot to compete amongst robots that others have programmed. The original is much more user friendly at the moment, however I do look forward to seeing version 2 progress.

this seems harder than building a battlebot. looks interesting though.
Back to top Go down
Camden W
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 4882
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game   Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 5:09 pm

i'm still trying to figure out how to watch my bot battle in an arena... Sad
Back to top Go down
xhorntail

PostSubject: Re: Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game   Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 2:21 am

Assuming you're talking about the Romanian server, you can't. This is a glitch in the software itself, which I would love to port to a newer Java if I could get my hands on it! Until then I'm afraid, the original game remains crippled.

The newer version seems interesting as well, however I can't seem to get the interface down right. It has a lot of potential though, I like the idea of direct machine input and output without dealing with code flow priority issues.
Back to top Go down
Teddybot

PostSubject: Botbattle open source download links   Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 3:14 pm

Open Source Botbattle 1 - procedural code based bots
Botbattle 1 zip

Open Source Botbattle 2 - gates and check state logic driven bots
Botbattle 2 zip

Battle bots are controlled via remote control and the person is doing all of the strategy through the controller.

Botbattle bots are controlled by programmed strategy which is uploaded to the transmitter. You can think out an entire match and all the things that happen and basically tell your RC transmitter about it then set it down and watch it move the bots in the fight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game   Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Botbattle online bot logic dev tool and game
Page 1 of 1