Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Share | 

NRL Nationals 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 3078
Registration date : 2010-04-23

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Sun May 06, 2012 5:03 pm

Quote :

I'd love to see Clariton fight any of the bots in the top 5 this weekend....

In the top 5.
Why is it that supposedly the best 15lb comp of the year turns out 5 good robots?
Why were some of those teams there?
The rumbles were all so very lackluster.
Robot fights all seem to come down to rock, paper, scissors anymore. With every robot a wildcard.
I'm just disappointed as I don't see crazy improvement in robots as I wish for.
I didn't get to see any good matches because the livestream was muffed the whole time.
I did see a few good matches, I can't say I didn't.
But for what it was, the best competition, it wasn't that good.
No one should still be getting stuck on the floor, not after past years experience and wooden floors.

(this is all spoken through what I saw in the hour of livestream I could watch)
Uppercut did well, Still n Shock 2 could have done better, but did well, the 1 match of the Brain that I saw did well, the one undercutter didn't do bad and took some beating, the one invertible hinged wedge also took one heck of a beating in the one match.

The excitement levels were also over 9000 to say the least.
Even at the high points, the competition seemed boring due to the stale atmosphere looming over.

Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

People Skills : 5818
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Sun May 06, 2012 5:24 pm

I guess your still new to this lol
I used to have high expectations as well but they have never been met and seem to be alot lower year after year
It's funny cause Sam and I were talking about the level of the bots at NRL compared to BotsIq last weekend.
You guys have gotten alot better and Brandon even basically admitted that the only reason is because of Alex and I's help. Not everyone gets into it as much as you an I, along with others here, and they don't spend the time researching and stuff
My bot was in all honesty one that didn't belong there
I also had a ton of fun in the rumble that we finally got all of the bug worked out

O well I thought I was a great competition, great environment, saw some awesome hits/fights and really enjoyed the entire thing

Huge congrats to Don and Plum, it was really nice meeting the others that I did
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Sun May 06, 2012 5:28 pm

O yeah you don't understand uppercut
I watched the last iteration take a hit so hard from atomic shock that it broke a panel out of the roof the arena
It's also an entire team of 9th graders that have been "involved" in it for atleast 4 years now
Back to top Go down
Chris R

People Skills : 2333
Registration date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Mon May 07, 2012 12:00 am

jtm94 wrote:
YouArePants wrote:
I should have asked what your guys' names were on the forum at the competition. Now I still don't know who is who. Smile
Haha who are you?

As far as I know Still n Shock 2 won grand champion with 2nd place and best documentation.
Chris from the AZ team.

Yeah, did uppercut receive any awards? They won the actual competition I'm pretty sure.
Back to top Go down
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Mon May 07, 2012 2:08 am

It's a dying sport/hobby I guess.
It isn't hard to build a winning robot. It's hard to get people involved early enough to want to build a winning robot.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Mon May 07, 2012 6:38 am

jtm94 wrote:
It isn't hard to build a winning robot. It's hard to get people involved early enough to want to build a winning robot.

It's not dying, it has always been this way
Back to top Go down
Chris R

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Mon May 07, 2012 10:46 am

jtm94 wrote:
It may have just been my first year but the competition felt quite lively to me.
Back to top Go down
Luke

People Skills : 2515
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Mon May 07, 2012 11:01 am

Anyone have videos of Plum's matches?
Back to top Go down
Chris R

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Mon May 07, 2012 11:41 am

Luke wrote:
Anyone have videos of Plum's matches?
There were at least four cameras recording each match. I'm sure the footage your looking for is floating around somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 2693
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Mon May 07, 2012 2:59 pm

it is not that it is a dying sport at all, what is lacking is finding the funding and facilities to create these monsters, it is also hard to find people who are willing to arise to the devotion that it requires, with the lack of these combinations we see less people than what the possibility could be
Back to top Go down
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Mon May 07, 2012 5:40 pm

I can't let this go:
Quote :
You guys have gotten alot better and Brandon even basically admitted that the only reason is because of Alex and I's help.
You guys helped, but it wasn't all that. I already established that.
Mr Beard built Game Over by himself last year and it was a very solid robot with little snags.
That's also basically how Omnom came together this year with our ideas and Beard putting them into a robot.
I'm not a fan of his ways so I was not nearly as involved in either robot this year as I was with Mini Nuke, I told you that at our competition, but as it stands I just refine all of his ideas into realistic/simplistic designs.

You guys are established robot builders for sure, but imagine how you would feel if I was to say you would be nothing without Alex, etc. We did our own thing.

Quote :
it is not that it is a dying sport at all, what is lacking is finding the funding and facilities to create these monsters, it is also hard to find people who are willing to arise to the devotion that it requires, with the lack of these combinations we see less people than what the possibility could be
Very true. A lot of the time though all it takes is a kid with a dream and a woodshop + funding.
It just saddens me to see this rise and fall of robot fighting, such is the life we live though.

Carry on.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Mon May 07, 2012 8:13 pm

jtm94 wrote:

You guys are established robot builders for sure, but imagine how you would feel if I was to say you would be nothing without Alex, etc. We did our own thing.

I actually have no problem admitting that...
The only reason plums program is where it is at is because of Alex(hell even the Pittsburgh regional competition.)
I would have never gotten this involved if it wasn't for him
This was my first time I had even built my own bot, I tried my own thing and it failed because I didn't have enough time.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Mon May 07, 2012 8:36 pm

[quote="Cody"]
jtm94 wrote:

I actually have no problem admitting that...
The only reason plums program is where it is at is because of Alex(hell even the Pittsburgh regional competition.)
I would have never gotten this involved if it wasn't for him
This was my first time I had even built my own bot, I tried my own thing and it failed because I didn't have enough time.

Quote :
Mr Beard built Game Over by himself last year and it was a very solid robot with little snags.

So if your adviser built that not and you weren't really involved with this one, what not have you built?
I wouldn't let to many people know you guys use(d) a bot that was built by your adviser...

Anyways, something I thought was pretty impressive is between don and Alex, they have brought every NRL trophy back to plum

Also how did you guys feel about your documentation scores? I wasnt expecting much but we go a 1 or 1.5 on our engineering drawing when we had a fully defined parts drawing of every piece of our robot.
Back to top Go down
Luke

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Mon May 07, 2012 10:01 pm

jtm94 wrote:

and because the quality was so bad I couldn't tell if it was atomic with a beater or blackout, didn't surpass my expectations.

Main issue with Atomic was the entire competition, we only had one drive motor working. Moment we swapped a good one in, the magnet of another seemed to break. The driver of Atomic this year was also a first year driver and incapable of driving well with one wheel out unlike Don or Alex who would of stood a chance with only one wheel.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Mon May 07, 2012 10:07 pm

Back to top Go down
Robo-Rob

People Skills : 2226
Registration date : 2011-11-17

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Mon May 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Matador's first match, against Still 'N Shock 2, was our favorite of the whole competition. We're pretty proud about going the whole three minutes despite taking such a beating.
Back to top Go down
Chris R

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Mon May 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Luke wrote:
jtm94 wrote:

and because the quality was so bad I couldn't tell if it was atomic with a beater or blackout, didn't surpass my expectations.

Main issue with Atomic was the entire competition, we only had one drive motor working. Moment we swapped a good one in, the magnet of another seemed to break. The driver of Atomic this year was also a first year driver and incapable of driving well with one wheel out unlike Don or Alex who would of stood a chance with only one wheel.
We had a similar complication with our's except the issue was due to the drive motors functioning properly. I'm sure most of you will be aware of the limitations of sensorless brushless motors (as we are now intimately familiar). Long story short, stick to sensored or brushed drivetrain motors.

Last edited by YouArePants on Mon May 07, 2012 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Mon May 07, 2012 10:42 pm

Wow! I wish I could have seen that in person
Pretty cool it can actually self right an hammer it's way off the wall haha
What a tank
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Tue May 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Alex Udanis wrote:
I think plum needs to fix that problem at 2:12.

A screw through the frot would do it to

Back to top Go down
SamM
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 3077
Registration date : 2009-12-22

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Tue May 08, 2012 5:05 pm

We had a great time at Nationals this year. The only thing that really bothered me was that we were told on Friday, that if we changed batteries or made any repairs without reinspection and the weigh-in weight didn't match the inspected weight we would be disqualified. But thankfully this wasn't enforced.

I felt the overall level of competition was quite good. For better or for worse, there were quite a few decent wedges, which is something I didn't see last year.

Our bots:
The Brain(4-2) lost twice from bolts vibrating out. The first was just dumb, not loctiting frame bolts, but the second time it was one of the main drum bolts, something that we checked before the match and that we've never had a problem with.

InconceivaBULL(A better version of Brain)(3-2) and IndestructaBull(3-2), both with new drivers, went the full 3 minutes with Upper Cut 3 which is something I'm proud of, and I think IndestructaBull may even have broken UC's weapon . They both had their second loss because of dumb electrical problems.

We have some that are higher res that I'll try to get up in the next few days, but here are our fights vs UC:

InconceivaBULL vs UC3

IndestuctaBULL vs UC3
[url][/url]
Back to top Go down
Luke

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Tue May 08, 2012 5:17 pm

Alex Udanis wrote:
May try putting piece of wedge shaped aluminum to prevent the front steel wedges of SNS 2 going all the way back next year.
Back to top Go down
SamM
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 3077
Registration date : 2009-12-22

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Tue May 08, 2012 8:27 pm

Alex Udanis wrote:
SamM wrote:
We had a great time at Nationals this year. The only....

I heard your robots were super tough, what type of armor were you using?

1/4" Magnum Triple Alloy, similar to AR400 for the front of the drum bots, and all the way around on the wedge. And 1/2" UHMW for the back of the drum bots, but that got replaced after any significant hit. Still, it did it's job and kept the wheels and everything else protected. top and bottom plates are 1/8" Aluminum(7075 and 2024 on the new bots, unknown alloy on The Brain)
Back to top Go down
Zachary Knight

People Skills : 2103
Registration date : 2012-04-13

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Fri May 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Alex Udanis wrote:
i think we are just going to take and have front wedges not hindges next year
Back to top Go down
http://plumhighrobotics.webs.com/
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Fri May 11, 2012 6:01 pm

I think you need hinged wedges to beat UC3

Last edited by Cody on Fri May 11, 2012 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Luke

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   Fri May 11, 2012 7:02 pm

Cody wrote:
Ok you need hinged wedges to beat UC3
How would titanium wedges with spring steel on top like on Final Shock do against UC3?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NRL Nationals 2012   

Back to top Go down

NRL Nationals 2012
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next