Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

NRL battery rule

Go down 
+2
SamM
fogdog
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fogdog

People Skills : 4722
Registration date : 2011-05-25

NRL battery rule Empty
PostSubject: NRL battery rule   NRL battery rule I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 1:06 pm

Can anyone who is part of the NRL tell me if Lipo batteries are allowed? The rule states the following:

"The only permitted batteries are ones that cannot spill or spray any of their contents when damaged or inverted. This means that standard automotive and motorcycle wet cell batteries are prohibited. Examples of batteries that are permitted: gel cells, Hawkers, NiCads, NiMh, dry cells, AGM, and LiIon."

My interpretation is that Lipo batteries would be allowed since I am not aware of them spraying or spilling contents when damage. I emailed the local director and he told me to email the national director. I emailed the national director list on the NRL website and he never replied to my message.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back to top Go down
SamM
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 5356
Registration date : 2009-12-22

NRL battery rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: NRL battery rule   NRL battery rule I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 1:51 pm

LiPo were not allowed this year, however they are reviewing the battery rules for next year. My suggestion would be to email the national director again.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7784
Registration date : 2009-03-16

NRL battery rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: NRL battery rule   NRL battery rule I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 5:28 am

My suggestion is to be really patient. You'll get an email back but it will take forever.
Lipid aren't allowed in the NRL. I agree with the rule.
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 5091
Registration date : 2011-02-05

NRL battery rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: NRL battery rule   NRL battery rule I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 7:50 pm

what about lithium iron phosphate cells are those banned too because nimh packs explode much more violently than the new life cells.
Back to top Go down
fogdog

NRL battery rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: NRL battery rule   NRL battery rule I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Finally got a reply back. Lipos are currently banned, but as SamM pointed out, the rule is being looked at. Local hobby shop told me that lipos are safer than li-ion. Seems to make sense since that is what all RC cars and planes are using these days. True that they are not beaten up like the bots, but haven't heard of too many issues with them.

What is the most commonly available non-Lipo battery available that we should consider using in the +18V range? Most of what I have found has been less than 18V. Robotmarketplace's supplier for Li-Ion is no longer making custom packs.

Will probably wait to see if NRL changes their stance, but wanted to explore other options in case they don't.
Back to top Go down
SamM
big contributor
big contributor

NRL battery rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: NRL battery rule   NRL battery rule I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 2:41 am

Battlepacks was the supplier for Robot Marketplace. I cannot recommend the new K2 cells they are using now. They have half the discharge rating of A123s.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7784
Registration date : 2009-03-16

NRL battery rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: NRL battery rule   NRL battery rule I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 10:04 am

First time I've heard the safer comment. They are a little safer when used by people who know how to handle but the still aren't as safe as li-ion

The first event botsIQ allowed liposuction the had a bot lipid catch on fire and were not prepared
Back to top Go down
fogdog

NRL battery rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: NRL battery rule   NRL battery rule I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 6:57 pm

Thanks for the info, as always. Nice to get quick feedback from experienced people. Will take your suggestions and contact Battlepacks about some A123 packs. Good to know that they are still making custom packs.
Back to top Go down
turtle
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 5015
Registration date : 2010-11-14

NRL battery rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: NRL battery rule   NRL battery rule I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 9:42 pm

Dont think Battlepack makes them anymore, http://www.tanicpacks.com/ does but they can be expensive, They're not that difficult to make yourself (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599316)
The biggest problem is finding real individual A123 cells.
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 5091
Registration date : 2011-02-05

NRL battery rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: NRL battery rule   NRL battery rule I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 8:33 pm

all lipos made after 2010 have an increase in phosphate that prevents a flame out they are now just as safe if not safer than a123 cells that can still flame out due to the enclosed cell. i have seen a123 cells meltdown and vent just as violently as a lipo under heavy load whereas a 70c 5000 mah lipo wont short it has such a low internal resistance it will just melt the wire right off the battery tabs or the connector. they are both dangerous but i would consider them safe compared to the battery acid nimh cells leak when they melt down.

Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5904
Registration date : 2009-06-10

NRL battery rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: NRL battery rule   NRL battery rule I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 9:04 am

Tech gets better--bots get better. That's how it SHOULD work. Sticking our heads in the sand is counter to everything battlebots is about.

I've been at two events where the Lipos did flame out--no biggie, drag 'em outdoors, run some fans to clear the air, and back to business.

But I know this is currently controversial. In a few years it will all settle down.
Back to top Go down
SamM
big contributor
big contributor

NRL battery rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: NRL battery rule   NRL battery rule I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Evan Steeves wrote:
all lipos made after 2010 have an increase in phosphate that prevents a flame out they are now just as safe if not safer than a123 cells that can still flame out due to the enclosed cell.

Could you post a source? Does this only apply to certain domestic brands, or is it a general rule? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NRL battery rule Empty
PostSubject: Re: NRL battery rule   NRL battery rule I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NRL battery rule
Page 1 of 1