Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Still looking for a brushed speed control

Go down 
+4
Cody
MikeNCR
SamM
saylor23
8 posters
AuthorMessage
saylor23

People Skills : 4848
Registration date : 2011-04-15

Still looking for a brushed speed control Empty
PostSubject: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 6:51 pm

Still looking for a brushed speed control, in stock, no banebots no luck with the sabertooth, for 15 lb bot, what about tourquemaster, have a scorpion on backorder (xxl) do I have anny other options?????
Back to top Go down
SamM
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 5355
Registration date : 2009-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 11:00 pm

The torquemaste BR-XLs are great little ESCs, we've ran two aggressively geared 550s on one. Cooked the batteries well before they had any problems.
Back to top Go down
MikeNCR
super contributor
super contributor
MikeNCR

People Skills : 5803
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 12:14 am

SamM wrote:
The torquemaste BR-XLs are great little ESCs, we've ran two aggressively geared 550s on one. Cooked the batteries well before they had any problems.

To add to that, in my Sportsman 30 Nyx I ran one per dewalt on 6s with the thing geared for 16mph with no issues from the BR-XL.
Back to top Go down
http://nearchaos.net
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7783
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 6:23 pm

Why not a scorpion XL?
Back to top Go down
saylor23

PostSubject: Re: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 6:48 pm

I have a scorpion on backorder, not due till first week of April, can not take that chance, date changed once already, explain mamba system, for the drive system??????
Back to top Go down
saylor23

PostSubject: Re: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 6:52 pm

not sure what Highlands used at prelims., I like the banebot gearbox what are my motor options, seems to be alots more option with brushless, especially with esc's
Back to top Go down
Koensig

People Skills : 4875
Registration date : 2011-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Yes and no. There are a lot more brushless ESCs out there but most of them are not suited for Battlebots. Most brushless ESCs are designed for RC cars; these ESCs often have a low powered reverse (or none at all) and if they do have reverse it will almost always be on a delay to protect RC gearboxes. This means that your steering will be really weird as one ESC will kick in after the other and if you don't get the settings right you might not even be able to go straight.
Also most Brushless motors don't have a lot of start up torque compared to similar sized Brushed. This means that your bot won't be able to push anything around; to solve this make sure you get 4-pole motors which don't have these problems.
That said, Brushless can be a very good thing if you are careful. Look for ESCs with no reverse delay like this one:
Novak Mongoose Crawler
Back to top Go down
saylor23

PostSubject: Re: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Bots IQ is fun but very frustrating, their are so many things to learn, I am glad we are involved my blood pressure could do without it!!!
Back to top Go down
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

People Skills : 5350
Registration date : 2010-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 8:13 pm

A lot of brushless speed controllers are bulkier and the motors have more wires you have to worry about, but if I was building a strictly driving robot I would go for it.

They don't have the torque of brushed, but as long as you got some movement you can still go.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7783
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 8:25 pm

A kid on my team ordered a scorpion XL earlier this month an got it within a few days from robot shop I think
Back to top Go down
gtPR

gtPR

People Skills : 4898
Registration date : 2010-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 10:04 pm

the torquemasters are your best option.

(your only option IMO)

I have yet to see a proven brushless drive system, that is as "plug and play" as the standard brushed systems that are already proven to work.

MikeNCR is saying that he uses them with dewalts on a 30lb with no issues, that is saying alot!
DeWalts are amp crazy!

get the torquemasters and cross it off your things to worry about list.
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5903
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 11:31 pm

In general, it seems gtPR is right, but I do have one datapoint worth considering:

The Mamba series (by Castle Creations) has the ability to be set up to run in brushed reversing mode (it comes with the cable and disk, you just install the software and hook up the ESC via USB.) It can also be calibrated pretty easily without the computer, once it's been programmed to run brushed reversing.

This is a bulky, expensive substitute for a BB12-45, but is an incredible workhorse of an ESC. We have used 4 of the Mamba Monsters in a 120lb bot to drive six 775 motors with 4s LiPos, and the bot was fast--much more nimble than any of the others at that competition anyway. (El Cholo was the bot, if you wanna see on Utoob)

It is rated to 6s, but we haven't had the need for that kinda speed/power so far. Power-handling-wise it is essentially bulletproof in a bot as small as a 15lb.

For those folks who have been around for years--this is a newer, better ESC that's comparable to the IFI Victors in space, weight, price and power handling capability.

You will not have any trouble finding one of these, because they are really popular in the RC car market.
Back to top Go down
gtPR

gtPR

PostSubject: Re: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 9:09 am

that is a great point!

I wonder how they would do on magmotors..

For a 15lber that is extreme overkill IMO, allthough it is an option if you have the $$, space and weight.
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5903
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Haven't tried them on the Mags yet--may be worth looking into.

BTW greg--do you still need Victors? I somehow dropped the ball on that. I still have quite a few with no plans. . . .
Back to top Go down
gtPR

gtPR

PostSubject: Re: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 9:11 pm

I might, I'll send you a message on FB

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Still looking for a brushed speed control   Still looking for a brushed speed control I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Still looking for a brushed speed control
Page 1 of 1