Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog inBuilders DB
Share | 

Using a Boost Converter on a insect weight robot?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alex
1000+ club
1000+ club

People Skills: 3609
Registration date: 2009-03-29

PostSubject: Using a Boost Converter on a insect weight robot?   Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Hey guys I am working for on a small insect weight robot. I was thinking of using a boost converter with a 2 cell instead of a 4 cell pack. I drew up this schematic does this work to step up the voltage?

Could I put two boost regulators in parallel to raise the output current?

Regulator in question:
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/799

Thanks
Alex

great contributor
great contributor

People Skills: 1514
Registration date: 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Using a Boost Converter on a insect weight robot?   Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:55 am

i am sorry can't help but could you explain what a boost converter is it looks really interesting
Back to top Go down
Alex
1000+ club
1000+ club

People Skills: 3609
Registration date: 2009-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Using a Boost Converter on a insect weight robot?   Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:26 am

Alex P. HASD Bots wrote:
i am sorry can't help but could you explain what a boost converter is it looks really interesting

It is a basically like a voltage regulator, but instead of lowering the output voltage compared to the input it raises it. So I theory I could use a 1s lipo in my robot and have the boost regulator output really what ever voltage I want 4-25v's the issue with that is it can only output so much current in this case <2 amps.

Edit: The larger the difference between Vin and Vout the less current that can be supplied by the device. Yes the device linked above with a Vout of 24v and a Vin of 4v but the current that it will be able to supply is low (around 300mA). Now on the other hand if Vin is higher like 2s lipo (7.4v) and your asking it to output 12v the boost converter can supply more current like 1.5a to 2a. (perfect for a light weight robot). Now with some electronic devices you can put them in parallel to increase their output (like mosfets) so I am wondering if I can put two of these in parallel to deliver 3-4 amps. The devices are refered to as both a "boost converter" or "boost regulator"

Hope this helps
Alex Udanis

great contributor
great contributor

People Skills: 1514
Registration date: 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Using a Boost Converter on a insect weight robot?   Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:24 pm

wow that is really interesting thank you, and chances are am i correct in saying that the batteries will be run down quicker.
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills: 2457
Registration date: 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Using a Boost Converter on a insect weight robot?   Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:03 pm

I don't know much about this, but it seems to me your thoughts are on target with one minor (and potentially unimportant) detail.

I think if you use two, they might not be synchronized either with timing of pulses or with output voltage, and then get into some sort of conflict that makes one work against the other. This might be solved by adding a large capacitor in parallel to the outputs.

Does anyone on here know the principle of operation behind a switching regulator?
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills: 2457
Registration date: 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Using a Boost Converter on a insect weight robot?   Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:19 pm

Just looked it up: On Wikipedia, of course

If I understand it correctly, without a high power capacitor in parallel to the outputs, you might get ripples going to the ESCs, and this might mess stuff up (it's essentially an AC voltage 'riding' atop your DC). However, I see no problems with using two in parallel to increase power handling.
Back to top Go down

Using a Boost Converter on a insect weight robot?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1