Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL

Go down 
+2
Camden W
jtm94
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

People Skills : 5350
Registration date : 2010-04-23

The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL Empty
PostSubject: The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL   The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 3:52 pm

We put these into our robot with 4wd first that uses the dx6i, they seem horridly slow to be honest. Adjusting the trim on them to get them to drive well is death. I got forward and backwards good, but adjusting that makes turning in one direction go incredibly fast and the other go so slow.

I will cope with it, but I know there has to be a way to fix this?
Also, the speed they give is not very adequate with the dx6i, is there a way I can do more to the travel? Other than just through the one adjust travel setting bumping it up to 125%?
I use the elevon mix to drive with one stick, and I think that is where most of the trim problems come in because fixing it for forward and reverse screws up left and right.

Now... Today we got these into the 2wd robot which uses the pistol grip dx2s and a v-tail mixer, and the fracking esc's are fantastic. The robot may go faster now than it ever did with the banebots. Why? Does not having the signals mixed in the controller make the travel larger? I know this is stupid because the controller does it for us, but would it be better to use a v-tail mixer in the 4wd robot and eliminate that setting in the controller?

I've always had issues with the dx6i trying to tweak it to get steering right because one thing affects 3 others.

I know enough to get the job done, but I'm too novice to figure this out on my own.
Back to top Go down
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL   The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Hey I'm here might as well go extra noob.

So would it be better to run the drive off of a throttle/elev mix through the controller and just use one of the switches with the weapon motor running into aux??
If so how is that done?
Back to top Go down
Camden W
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 4891
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL   The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 4:05 pm

Hmm, I don't know much about mixers, but I do have experience with the single stick motion, and if the controller does the mixing, you will see maybe 50% throttle going forward, and turning on one wheel is what the controller saves the 100% for. If you want full speed out of a single stick, without any extra electronics, you'll have to cope with the whole stick alignment rotated 45 degrees on the controller. The problem is simply: are you dexterous enough to be able to turn the bot where you want it to go without turning too far? If so, and if you want the single stick drive, just put all the servo reversing and mixing switches to one side, and switch the aileron I think to reverse to switch left/right movement.

Are you using 2 or 4 ESC's in the 4wd bot?
Back to top Go down
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL   The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 4:14 pm

Sounds like a lot of hassle I don't want to have to worry about.

2 esc's in both robots.

Back to top Go down
MikeNCR
super contributor
super contributor
MikeNCR

People Skills : 5803
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL   The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 4:35 pm

Yeah, the DX6i has issues with tx mixing not resulting in full speed in forward/reverse. I've just been using small onboard mixers to work around it.
Back to top Go down
http://nearchaos.net
Camden W
big contributor
big contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL   The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 4:42 pm

hmm. You should use the pistol grip for the 4wd bot, and have a second person operating the weapon(s) with the dx6, or some jargon like that.

Otherwise, if there is no weapon, use the pistol grip.

If there is a weapon, and you want the dx6, I would say add a v-tail mixer to see what happens. If that doesn't work, just don't have any mixing, and drive the stick crooked.
Back to top Go down
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL   The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 4:58 pm

We only have one pistol grip because last year my team was the only one who liked it and our shop teacher still doesn't like it so we have dx6i's.

I'm going to have to try the onboard mixer tomorrow.

Oh, and both have weapons Camden. I think 2 people controlling a robot is the best way to do it, but it requires 2 people who can do it well.
Back to top Go down
Camden W
big contributor
big contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL   The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Well, good luck. Hope testing goes well tomorrow.

And yes, it is hard to find two people who work well together driving a robot. I would say have one person drive.
Back to top Go down
SamM
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 5355
Registration date : 2009-12-22

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL   The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 7:11 pm

The trick with elevon mixing on the dx6i is to use the programable mixes. You can set Mix 1 to elev->elev 125% in both directions and Mix 2 aile->aile 125% in both directions. The only problem with this is you then can't use your mixes for invertibility or for your weapon. If you need one mix though, you can always give up full speed steering(aile) or full speed forward/rev(elev).

Alternately have you tried calibrating the torquemaster?
Link
I haven't tried it myself, but it seems like it should work.
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

People Skills : 4982
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL   The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 8:20 pm

go with the gear switch to turn on the weapon, then you are able to adjust the power current going into it with the travel adjust
Back to top Go down
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL   The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 11:20 pm

Sorry, but the calibration doesn't really do much.
It can do some stuff, but I've looked through that and it changes nothing I need.

I'll just see what I can do tomorrow. No clue how to set anything to anything so I'll just do what I do and guess until it works right.
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

People Skills : 4982
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL   The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 6:16 am

"work all night until its right" seems to be a motto that my team lives by this year, lookin at another 11 or 12 o'clock night tonite.
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5903
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL   The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 9:54 pm

With the calibration, you might try 'faking' full stick, and see what happens. What you do is set your tx endpoints/travel to something like 80%, calibrate, then up the endpoints again. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it makes the ESC go dead when the stick is pushed to the corners.

I like the idea of using an onboard mixer and getting rid of mixing in the tx--it's pretty clear to me that's the difference between your pistolgrip and the dx6i.

A DX3e (pistolgrip 3 channel Spektrum controller) is only like $150 (with the rx). If you've got the cash, buy one for yourself and the heck with your shop teacher. You take it home when the year ends, and use it for every bot you use in future.

If you do choose to go pistol, it would mean the weapon would be a little tricky to operate (and the simplest is just on/off, with a tiny dial you turn to determine speed), but my kids almost never actually do anything with the weapon but fullon/fulloff anyway.
Back to top Go down
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL   The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 12:21 am

No clue what I did or how to calibrate.
As I said, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to anything beside the basic remote stuff.
All I know is that I got it to become a lot better and drivable. It still isn't the fastest, but I got the steering and everything balanced. I give up for now on getting them to go faster, no clue how to do it with the dx6i, besides driving with the stick sideways and mixing off, but that's impractical and it doesn't feel right.

I think I figured out how to invert the steering if I go upside down, but I don't need it as I can drive anyway as long as forward and backward are the same or switched and left or right is the same or switched.

Look forward to tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL   The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Mighty Torquemaster BR-XL
Page 1 of 1