Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.
 
HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Share | 
 

 LiPo's and BotsIQ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
avatar

People Skills : 5594
Registration date : 2009-03-31
Location : Miami

PostSubject: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:21 pm

I just noticed that they are allowing Lipo's in battelbots divisions, but can't seem to find any info on whether they are allowing them in the 15 lbs HS division.

The light and heavyweight HS rules allow them if they are in a container of sorts.

I also noticed that at least one Florida robot, Fluffy I think, ran Lipo's at the fair.

Anyone know for sure?
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
avatar

People Skills : 5761
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:54 pm

Not sure about fluffy, im think most of RE's bots run A123
Reading the BotsIQ ruleset, technical and tournament roules, the rule still stands that your not allowed to use lipos
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
avatar

People Skills : 4296
Registration date : 2009-03-14
Age : 28
Location : Miami, FL / Atlanta, GA

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:58 pm

Fluffy does use LiPos (6-cell pack I think), but they probably have A123s as an option for that one as well. Volume wise it shouldn't be a problem to use either there.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
avatar

People Skills : 5761
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:02 pm

with they way he was talking, i dont think he could make weight without Lipos
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
avatar

People Skills : 3668
Registration date : 2009-03-16
Age : 25
Location : Pinecrest, Florida

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:03 pm

Jeff L wrote:
Fluffy does use LiPos, but they probably have A123s as an option for that one as well.

Actually I don't think they do. Also, I think LiPos are gonna be acceptable.
a post by Mr. Dubard on basecamp wrote:

If your robot uses Li-Po Batteries here is what you need to know:
1) Review Appendix B of the BattleBots Building Rules (for your particular division: Pro/College or High School)

2) Review section 3.10 of the BattleBots Tournament Rules

3) You must bring your own charger and charging bags:
Example charging bags:
- LipoSack: http://www.liposack.com/
- Lipo Guard: http://www.xheli.com/lipo-safe-bag.html

4) BattleBots will provide a special charging table for Li-Po batteries

That's what Mr. Dubard told us on basecamp.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
avatar

People Skills : 4296
Registration date : 2009-03-14
Age : 28
Location : Miami, FL / Atlanta, GA

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:03 pm

Well, there's always putting holes in armor plate Razz
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
avatar

People Skills : 4296
Registration date : 2009-03-14
Age : 28
Location : Miami, FL / Atlanta, GA

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:04 pm

godughifu wrote:
Jeff L wrote:
Fluffy does use LiPos, but they probably have A123s as an option for that one as well.

Actually I don't think they do. Also, I think LiPos are gonna be acceptable.
a post by Mr. Dubard on basecamp wrote:

If your robot uses Li-Po Batteries here is what you need to know:
1) Review Appendix B of the BattleBots Building Rules (for your particular division: Pro/College or High School)

2) Review section 3.10 of the BattleBots Tournament Rules

3) You must bring your own charger and charging bags:
Example charging bags:
- LipoSack: http://www.liposack.com/
- Lipo Guard: http://www.xheli.com/lipo-safe-bag.html

4) BattleBots will provide a special charging table for Li-Po batteries

That's what Mr. Dubard told us on basecamp.

What is this "basecamp" you speak of?
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
avatar

People Skills : 3668
Registration date : 2009-03-16
Age : 25
Location : Pinecrest, Florida

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:05 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
with they way he was talking, i dont think he could make weight without Lipos
Not only that, but I don't think he has room for the amount of A123s he'd need in his robot right now.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
avatar

People Skills : 4296
Registration date : 2009-03-14
Age : 28
Location : Miami, FL / Atlanta, GA

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:07 pm

godughifu wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:
with they way he was talking, i dont think he could make weight without Lipos
Not only that, but I don't think he has room for the amount of A123s he'd need in his robot right now.

If it was me and I had to switch at the last moment, I'd try and cram a pack into the drum with the weapon motor. There might just be enough space in there.
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
avatar

People Skills : 3668
Registration date : 2009-03-16
Age : 25
Location : Pinecrest, Florida

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:07 pm

Jeff L wrote:
What is this "basecamp" you speak of?
It's this thing Mr. Bales put together for us in RE robotics.
He set it up using the account that Syntheon has.
go on basecamphq.com that's the home page of the actually thing. It's really cool.
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
avatar

People Skills : 3668
Registration date : 2009-03-16
Age : 25
Location : Pinecrest, Florida

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:09 pm

Jeff L wrote:
godughifu wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:
with they way he was talking, i dont think he could make weight without Lipos
Not only that, but I don't think he has room for the amount of A123s he'd need in his robot right now.

If it was me and I had to switch at the last moment, I'd try and cram a pack into the drum with the weapon motor. There might just be enough space in there.

Ya, but then he'd also have to find a way to connect the pack to the rest of the robot, make sure that the weapon isn't so heavy that it's pulling the robot off its back wheels, AND make a way to keep the batteries from both getting too rattled and from falling out.
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
avatar

People Skills : 3668
Registration date : 2009-03-16
Age : 25
Location : Pinecrest, Florida

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:09 pm

godughifu wrote:
Jeff L wrote:
godughifu wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:
with they way he was talking, i dont think he could make weight without Lipos
Not only that, but I don't think he has room for the amount of A123s he'd need in his robot right now.

If it was me and I had to switch at the last moment, I'd try and cram a pack into the drum with the weapon motor. There might just be enough space in there.

Ya, but then he'd also have to find a way to connect the pack to the rest of the robot, make sure that the weapon isn't so heavy that it's pulling the robot off its back wheels, AND make a way to keep the batteries from both getting too rattled and from falling out.

Which would all take up more weigh that he probably doesn't have.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
avatar

People Skills : 5761
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:11 pm

Quote :
If your robot uses Li-Po Batteries here is what you need to know:
1) Review Appendix B of the BattleBots Building Rules (for your particular division: Pro/College or High School)

2) Review section 3.10 of the BattleBots Tournament Rules

3) You must bring your own charger and charging bags:
Example charging bags:
- LipoSack: http://www.liposack.com/
- Lipo Guard: http://www.xheli.com/lipo-safe-bag.html

I have read the BotsIQ several times the past few weeks, because our local comp. was trying to go straight by the rules but there were several the interpreted wrong and i confronted.
Those are the battlebots rules they are different from the BotsIQ rules. While the event is being held in conjunction with the Battlebots tournament, the 120 rules differ from the 15lb rules
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
avatar

People Skills : 3668
Registration date : 2009-03-16
Age : 25
Location : Pinecrest, Florida

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:12 pm

Is there a high school level battlebots tournament? I thought the only high school level one was BotsIQ.
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
avatar

People Skills : 3668
Registration date : 2009-03-16
Age : 25
Location : Pinecrest, Florida

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:15 pm

I'm gonna just laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh if it ends up that Will can't compete because he's using Li-pos. But I think Nola probably would have said something at the Fair if she noticed or anything, wouldn't she have?
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
avatar

People Skills : 3668
Registration date : 2009-03-16
Age : 25
Location : Pinecrest, Florida

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:16 pm

Plus, if that weapon never ends up working, then who cares what kind of batteries he uses?
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
avatar

People Skills : 4296
Registration date : 2009-03-14
Age : 28
Location : Miami, FL / Atlanta, GA

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:20 pm

godughifu wrote:
Jeff L wrote:
What is this "basecamp" you speak of?
It's this thing Mr. Bales put together for us in RE robotics.
He set it up using the account that Syntheon has.
go on basecamphq.com that's the home page of the actually thing. It's really cool.

That is cool.

Will may want to double check the rules ASAP on the LiPos, but I doubt there will be a problem - the Regional event was under BotsIQ rules, so if they didn't tell him he couldn't use them there, he should be able to use them at Nationals. Besides, any fire from the LiPo taking physical damage will be in the ring 99.9% of the time, and the whole fire burns itself out in about 20-30 seconds.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
avatar

People Skills : 5594
Registration date : 2009-03-31
Location : Miami

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:23 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
Quote :
If your robot uses Li-Po Batteries here is what you need to know:
1) Review Appendix B of the BattleBots Building Rules (for your particular division: Pro/College or High School)

2) Review section 3.10 of the BattleBots Tournament Rules

3) You must bring your own charger and charging bags:
Example charging bags:
- LipoSack: http://www.liposack.com/
- Lipo Guard: http://www.xheli.com/lipo-safe-bag.html

I have read the BotsIQ several times the past few weeks, because our local comp. was trying to go straight by the rules but there were several the interpreted wrong and i confronted.
Those are the battlebots rules they are different from the BotsIQ rules. While the event is being held in conjunction with the Battlebots tournament, the 120 rules differ from the 15lb rules

Fluffy will have a heart attack if he finds out that the 15 lbs. rules are still in effect.

Bots IQ won't care what his basecamp instructor told him.

This one of the reasonas why I started this thread.

ANYONE thinking of running Lipo's in the 15 lbs class had BETTER call BotIQ and get a confirmation in WRITING.

It would be not exactly fair to those who built around non LIPO rules.

Someone please warn Fluffy just in case
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
avatar

People Skills : 5761
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:24 pm

I was just trying to explain a little better
This years 120 event is not a BotsIQ event, it is a Battlebots event
Different organization with different rules then BotsIQ

And what was mentioned about knowing people,
that is exactly true and that is one of the HUGE reasons that we are not attending this year
Back to top Go down
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
avatar

People Skills : 3668
Registration date : 2009-03-16
Age : 25
Location : Pinecrest, Florida

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:25 pm

Alex Udanis wrote:
we found with a lot of these events, especially nola's events, how well you know nola is in direct relation to how lax the rules are. but....you didnt hear that from me
I'm pretty sure Will himself doesn't know Nola very well. Mr. Dubard seems to, and Will Meeks and I know her pretty well, but I don't think either of us were there, I certainly wasn't. But, with it this year, they can't really do that, because if this is gonna be something that could possibly be on TV, they're gonna have to be really strict.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
avatar

People Skills : 4296
Registration date : 2009-03-14
Age : 28
Location : Miami, FL / Atlanta, GA

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:27 pm

I could have sworn only the 120s were being filmed - seeing as those are being run under Battlebots, and the 15s are still BotsIQ.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
avatar

People Skills : 5761
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:28 pm

Alex Udanis wrote:
okay li-poly rules right from the the official 2009 botsiq ruleset


Quote :
5.3 Electrical Power Sources
Robot electrical power sources, at a minimum, have to comply with requirements below.
5.3.1 Allowed Battery Types
Only commercially available, rechargeable batteries of the following types can be used:
a. Sealed Lead-Acid (SLA) batteries, provided they are of a leak-proof type, and meet the
requirements defined in Appendix A.
b. Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cad) batteries.
c. Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) batteries.
d. Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) batteries.
Lithium-Polymer batteries are specifically not allowed.

thats what i thought
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
avatar

People Skills : 5761
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:29 pm

Alex did you ever notice that BotsIQPA links to the 2007 tech rules and 2008 tournament rules
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
avatar

People Skills : 5594
Registration date : 2009-03-31
Location : Miami

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:30 pm

will knowing Nola may not mean much, in that I believe that they have a NEW event coordinator in SF.

I don;t know if Nola is involved with BotsIQ at the moment.


Last edited by rjw on Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
That Guy
samurai jesus
samurai jesus
avatar

People Skills : 3668
Registration date : 2009-03-16
Age : 25
Location : Pinecrest, Florida

PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Technically however, as Mr. Bales explained to us, those batteries aren't Li-polys, as a matter of fact, to get an actually Lithium-Polymer battery is very rare. I forget exactly what he said they really are, but I'm sure Will Bales can tell you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: LiPo's and BotsIQ?   

Back to top Go down
 
LiPo's and BotsIQ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Lipo Batteries
» Cheap and good lipo
» Tamiya TEU-104BK modification for 2S LiPo cut-off
» zippy flightmax lipo at any shop?
» Traxxas xl- 5 ESC now with lipo cut off!!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Battlebots :: Competitions :: Florida BotsIQ-
Jump to: