Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Dead Blow drum

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

People Skills : 4982
Registration date : 2011-03-30

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 6:34 am

ive been thinking lately of how to get the most effectiveness out of a drum, and then it occurred to me what if i were to put shot that is loosely fitted to make it act like a dead blow mallet, and when it spun up the shot gets pulled to the outside acting like a centripetal clutch increasing the I behind the hit: just an idea what do you think?
Back to top Go down
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

People Skills : 5350
Registration date : 2010-04-23

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:21 am

I really like that idea.
Mr P was telling me how a friend of his puts lead shot into larger tires on his jeep and apparently as they get up to speed they begin to balance the larger tires out and I've wanted to test it out inside of our drum.

Me and Garrett also wish it would be practical to put a mechanism in a beater bar with springs pushing large metal BB's or cylinders in the side arms to the center and as it hits speeds it gains momentum as well as spinning up faster.

I kind of think it's all a waste of weight though. You could use the weight of the shot to instead better reinforce the drum as a whole or make it single-tooth. I wish we would have had more go right on our drum so that way it could have been one-tooth.

I feel as though an effective drum also has to be the perfect medium size where it will actually hit the other bot on the upwards motion of the drum. This year our drum hit most robots on the bottom outwards motion so it kind of launched stuff away instead of always hitting the butter zone.
Back to top Go down
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

People Skills : 5899
Registration date : 2009-07-05

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:24 am

this will be as effective as a chained or tethered weapon. You will be loosing a lot of energy because the shot will be able to freely move after the hit. plus you will almost always have balance issues.
Back to top Go down
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:33 am

Quote :
this will be as effective as a chained or tethered weapon. You will be loosing a lot of energy because the shot will be able to freely move after the hit. plus you will almost always have balance issues.

I was thinking this as well.
The best way to do it professionally would be to make grooves on the inside of the drum as a type of race to balance it faster on spin-up, or make divets in the drum in which the BB's could fall into so that way upon hit you won't lose all of the force.
It's a unique idea, but it could probably be done in a more dependable way.. Hmm..
Back to top Go down
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:54 am

jtm94 wrote:

It's a unique idea, but it could probably be done in a more dependable way.. Hmm..

Just make a heaver drum.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7783
Registration date : 2009-03-16

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 8:47 am

I've used air soft pellets to balance tires before, it does work but i had to use over 1,000
I might try it to see what happens, just cause I would like to see the drum explode more so then hit harder
Back to top Go down
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:30 am

even in you put a smaller drum that had say 180 degrees free rotation inside of a larger drum it wouldn't be more effective. After the outer drum has hit and stopped the inner would come around 180 and hit on the outer drum having to fight is moment of inertia losing efficiency in the process. The best way to increase your KE is simply put as much weight as possible as far away from the center as possible.
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 12:17 pm

ya thats what i figured it was just an idea that entrigued me because in essence you get two hits in one the inital hit and then the stopping of the shot
Back to top Go down
Koolaid64
mega contributor
mega contributor
Koolaid64

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 12:21 pm

sorry to be such a debby downer all up in your thread, just trying to explain how it all would work.
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 12:58 pm

no problem thats why i put it on here just to see what people thought
Back to top Go down
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 4:09 pm

I really want to put my idea out there of a centrifugal beater bar.
I thought it out but it is still fairly rough.
Note that it is not that of a competitive robot, it would merely look cool as hell.

You have a 4 part beater bar, which has been done, it isn't competitive though because it isn't solid and would likely work for only a few hits.
The 2 side supports can be made out of a harder metal as they will be made to not take many direct hits, but the cross pieces that will have the teeth can be basic S7.
The idea is that you have channels in perhaps a T shape on both side supports and the cross beams with the teeth will fit into them. You have springs on the inside of the side supports that push the cross beams inward, but you can have like 2 roll pins that keep the cross beams from hitting the weapon shaft. The reason for doing this is so you can have a hefty beater bar, but it will spin up much better and have the tension of the springs set so that way once the weapon hits a good speed the cross beams will extend outward and now the momentum just increased exponentially without losing spin-up speed.

I know it wouldn't win. It would have many stress points, but if I ever saw anything like it I would gain respect for that robot instantly. I think it could hold up for some mild hits if it was engineered well.
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 5:05 pm

that sounds like an osm idea, and we run a five piece beater with no issues whatsoever
Dead Blow drum Dsc01015
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 8:45 pm

I was worried if 4 1/4-20s would be enough to hold my drum tooth in
I feel better now haha
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:39 pm

go with 1/4-28's they are a stronger bite unless your goin into aluminum, then in which case use 1/4-20 for a stronger thread wall, or use helicoil inserts
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 5090
Registration date : 2011-02-05

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 4:15 am

instead of making the complicated impact resistant hard to balance variable weight tension on a beater bar or drum be it in slung weight like bb's or a rc car style shoe clutch, why not use that extra weight you would use for the mechanism and put it to use with a v belt cvt slip clutch weapon drive. i have not seen one robot use a v belt cvt witch a spring tension clutch yet it is one of the most simple mechanisms for changing rpm, you could have fast spin up with extreme top speed without needing huge amp start ups from too tall of drive ratios or need variable mass through weight distribution. just a thought Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jtm94
great contributor
great contributor
jtm94

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 3:55 pm

Shoe clutches are boss.
I think they work far better in gas motors though
Back to top Go down
Evan Steeves
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 5090
Registration date : 2011-02-05

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 6:59 pm

jtm94 wrote:
Shoe clutches are boss.
I think they work far better in gas motors though

shoe clutches are epic Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 11:15 pm

I like boots personally
errr wait
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dead Blow drum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Blow drum   Dead Blow drum I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dead Blow drum
Page 1 of 1