Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Share | 

Battery Storage and end of year questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
saylor23

People Skills : 2469
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Battery Storage and end of year questions   Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:28 pm

Can you use A123 cells for more than one year, I hope so, I bought around 24 for this year, how should you store them? some are made into 5 cell packs some are singles?? Can you send banebot speed controllers back to get fixed??? If you have a bad brushed motor on a gearbox, how do remove the gear without destroying it?? Any special tool??
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 3553
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Battery Storage and end of year questions   Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:54 pm

saylor23 wrote:
Can you use A123 cells for more than one year, I hope so, I bought around 24 for this year, how should you store them?
The only online answer I have found said:
My preferred method is to balance charge and cycle, record the capacity info, then balance charge again and disconnect them from all devices. What these cells DON’T like is discharge to 0 volts under a load and they don’t like sub zero weather conditions. Since they have a very low self discharge characteristic there’s no risk of finding a zero voltage pack in the spring after a winter layup. If you keep your plane in an unheated environment and suffer with sub-zero conditions where the plane is, it would be prudent to take the packs out of the plane and bring them in where you are. Like most batteries, they like the same temperatures you like.

saylor23 wrote:
Can you send banebot speed controllers back to get fixed???
The short answer is NO. The longer answer is "they used to do that, but they don't anymore."

saylor23 wrote:
If you have a bad brushed motor on a gearbox, how do remove the gear without destroying it??
Any special tool??

Pinion puller
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 2610
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Battery Storage and end of year questions   Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:53 pm

for the pinion puller all we did was take a 3/8-24 socket head cap screw and drilled a press fit hole for a roll pin in the end of the screw and then make a fixture that holds the motor assembly and you then just spin the screw through and it uses the mechanical advantage of the thread to push the motor out saving the spur gear from being damaged
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 3553
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Battery Storage and end of year questions   Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:03 am

Alex P. HASD Bots wrote:
and then make a fixture that holds the motor assembly

Details, please. The tough part is getting under the pinion with something tough enough to pull with. I think just buying one is gonna be way easier and more reliable, but maybe (I hope) you know something I dont.
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor

People Skills : 2610
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Battery Storage and end of year questions   Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:27 am

ill get a picture on here later today
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery Storage and end of year questions   

Back to top Go down

Battery Storage and end of year questions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1