Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Your Dream esc!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5925
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Your Dream esc! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dream esc!   Your Dream esc! I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 12:53 am

It's about ShamWOW! time someone did this!!

PM me with the shipping address: I think I can scare up a couple of blown BB12-45's and I KNOW I have some IFI Victors (883, 884, 885--I dunno what they are) that I can send your way. However, I must caution you that banebots sands the identifying info off the chips in the 12-45's, so good luck with that.

What I want to know is what specs are you gonna design to?

I'm thinking something that can drive a RS550 at stall (85 amps at least for a few seconds) or even better run a 775 (which stalls at 130 amps). If it isn't too hard, putting in a current limiter to prevent it from blowing up would probably be a nice feature. (And along the same lines, making it not die if you accidentally wire it up backwards would also be cool, but I guess the noobs gotta pay a price sometimes)

It should DEFINITELY be able to run 5s LiPo (18.5 V nominal, 21V fully charged), and even better if it can handle 6s (22.2 V nom, 25.2V max). To do this kinda voltage and amperage, you might find it necessary to make a cooling arrangement--the Sabretooth uses a heatsink, and the Victors have fans, but both of those take up too much space and weight. If it requires a lower current capacity to make it small and light, then do that, but make it limit itself instead of blowing up, OK?

I know that some folks will say it probably should have a BEC built in, but with 'weaponed' bots the ESC for the weapon usually provides that, and if you just have a wedge, then you have the weight and space to install a separate BEC, so I'm not so sure it's worth the hassle. In a perfect world it would have a BEC that you could disable really easily, maybe with a jumper or something, but weighed zero and took up no space. I say ditch it.

Of course, in addition to being as light as possible, it also needs to be small. However, I actually like the wires permanently installed on the BB12-45 more than the screw connectors you find on some ESCs. Please do NOT use the ridiculous green things they had on some of the old Scorpions (they may have them on the new ones, but since I quit buying them I really don't know)

I do NOT like 2 channel ESCs. Let me put the left ESC in one place, and the right one in another, AND if one blows out I don't have to replace both! Also, with mixing built into most TX, and the tiny size of elevon mixers, there's no advantage to the 2 channel ESCs anyway (except for perhaps the 'inverted drive' option ones, which I think should also be built into the TX anyway)

It needs to be able to calibrate to really be of high quality, and it absolutely MUST MUST MUST failsafe to 'no go' when it gets a null signal.

I think I speak for all battlebot builders when I say I do not care if it can accept anything except a standard Spektrum rx signal.

I love the data logging that some of the Castle Phoenix ESCs have, but I know that's a luxury--however, if you could have it connect to a computer to adjust certain settings (also a Castle feature), that could be a real plus.

and it should be free. . . or at least so cheap that I don't care if it gets destroyed.

that's all I want.

Actually, if it had all the features listed above, I would be willing to pay TWICE the price of a BB12-45 for it. Heck, that's what I used to pay for the IFI Victors, and as far as space, weight, and signal compatibility goes, they suck.
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

Your Dream esc! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dream esc!   Your Dream esc! I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 12:56 am

Also, rename this thread to "Your Dream ESC," Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

People Skills : 5004
Registration date : 2011-03-30

Your Dream esc! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dream esc!   Your Dream esc! I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 9:26 am

you already got one made
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

Your Dream esc! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dream esc!   Your Dream esc! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Alex P. HASD Bots wrote:
you already got one made

To what do you refer?
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

People Skills : 5004
Registration date : 2011-03-30

Your Dream esc! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dream esc!   Your Dream esc! I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 6:15 pm

as in i thought he has already created one and is in the testing phase
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Your Dream esc! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Dream esc!   Your Dream esc! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Dream esc!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Battlebots :: Bots :: Design-
Jump to: