Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Share | 

Heart breaking moment of the year...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
froggyman

People Skills : 1990
Registration date : 2012-02-29

PostSubject: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 4:15 pm

So my battlebot team scheduled a pre inspection before the competition just to make sure everything would be ready for the competition this weekend and for our team to get a few last minute pointers as we have never done a battlebot competition before.

The first thing he asked was how much our bot weighed. We had just weighed it and it was at about 128LBs, and we said that we already had some ideas on how to cut those 8lbs. After that he informed us that they *only* have a 15LB bot arena and have never had a 120LB weight class. We then checked the website and saw that it does in fact have a download for the rules on the 120LB bots, and mentions "heavy weight" bots, which lead our team to believe that they were referring to the 120LB division.

Overall though, I've learned a ton about electronics and mechanics working on this project late into the night these past few weeks. The inspector told us that they usually have some time that they need to kill during the day and that he would love to have our bot show up and potentially destroy some old electronics or old bots.
Back to top Go down
froggyman

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 5:39 pm

Yep! We were planning on competing on Saturday... but they don't even have access to an arena for 120LB bots.

It just sucks that we weren't able to have figured this out sooner. Like when we didn't have over $3,000 invested into it and a ton of time.
Back to top Go down
froggyman

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Alex Udanis wrote:
Well there are still other events out there for the #120 robots.

When you posted on the forum before we thought it was cool that WI was going to have 120# robots, and we were trying to figure out what arena they were going to use are there are only around 3 large arenas that are shared between the larger events.

The guy there mentioned that there might be one in Minneapolis. Do you know of any that are in the Midwest region?
Back to top Go down
froggyman

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Alex Udanis wrote:
Unfortunately the only events I know of that run the 120# robots are located in CA (combots/robogames) and Florida

When's the Florida competition scheduled?
Back to top Go down
Don Doerfler
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 3249
Registration date : 2009-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 6:39 pm

unfortunatly it already happened
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/DoerflerRobotics?feature=mhum
froggyman

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Don Doerfler wrote:
unfortunatly it already happened

Well that sucks
Back to top Go down
froggyman

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 8:51 pm

Well I'll be sure to keep an eye on those sites. I'd really hate to see my 120lb baby not get to fight
Back to top Go down
froggyman

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Alex Udanis wrote:
Wanna post some pictures?

Keep in mind that this was my school's first shot at a bot, so don't be too rough on it. We still have a few minor things to do, like supports in the front so the barrel doesn't hit the ground, .750" steel bars (180 degrees apart) welded to the barrel to grip things, and more secure battery placement.

Here's a video of it spinning up the barrel for the first time: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4021238177468

EDIT: It's at school right now, so I can't get any pictures of it right now, but I'll try to take some tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
froggyman

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Alex Udanis wrote:
Well that seems kinda unsafe. (0:27.....i was waiting for him to loose some fingers)

Yeah. Would have been quite tragic if those steel bars would have been on the bot.
Back to top Go down
froggyman

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Also, in case you can't tell we may have been inspired to do this bot after watching Copperhead in battle. Our team was very impressed with every video we watched of Copperhead.
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 2745
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 9:51 pm

I suggest beefing up the weapon supports. I don't think 4 bolts is enough to hold it.
Back to top Go down
froggyman

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Camden W wrote:
I suggest beefing up the weapon supports. I don't think 4 bolts is enough to hold it.

How do you suggest we do that? Get different Pillow blocks that have room for more bolts?
Back to top Go down
Luke

People Skills : 2370
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Perhaps add a piece onto the shaft to protect that pulley, such as a round piece of garolite.
Back to top Go down
Camden W
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 2745
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 10:18 pm

At the very least you'll want to protect those pillow blocks, as they are the number one target to hit, as it would end your weapon. I agree with luke on the garolite, or maybe try a thin layer of UHMW or something. Maybe even part of a tire.
Back to top Go down
Koolaid64
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor

People Skills : 3498
Registration date : 2009-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 10:26 pm

Dead shaft that sucker, build you bearing into your drum, and change your ratio to the drum to a 3:1. you've got plenty of time and you'll love me later Wink
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

People Skills : 5673
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   Tue May 15, 2012 11:22 pm

Combots is in California in October, start fundraising!

I wish I could see te video from my phone
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heart breaking moment of the year...   

Back to top Go down

Heart breaking moment of the year...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1