Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Share | 

the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

People Skills : 5567
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:09 am

Cody Harris wrote:
Didnt you say you were already spinning your drums "too fast"?!

we've never had a driver who could aim a robot at anything and actually hit it, so not sure lol !!

also, we've run into a lot of bad arena floors and the bots are low.

We like the align that's in one of the bots, but need to do more testing to know for sure.

The scorpion has less r's and would be for another ....possible fbs that some students are playing with
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

People Skills : 5734
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:13 am

Whats the clearence on your drums?!
I know ours are within and 1/8th in and we dont have any problems other hitting the ground once in awhile but the weapon keeps spinning

And alex you should try a mamba in shockwave so its completly invertible, even though there like 4 times the weight
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:18 am

Cody Harris wrote:
Whats the clearence on your drums?!
I know ours are within and 1/8th in and we dont have any problems other hitting the ground once in awhile but the weapon keeps spinning

And alex you should try a mamba in shockwave so its completly invertible

We are also at 1/8, but like I said, the students last year were totally green. hey wold do stuff like not spin up the drum before attacking.

In one match a lifter flipped our bot over and our driver didn't reverse rotation. He spent 2 1/2 minutes ramming into the side of the other bot and propelling himself in the air.

It was quite amusing..even the announcer was yelling that the drum was spinning the wrong way...

It's called 'out to lunch'..ha
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:22 am

haha i understand like i said this is only our third year competing, we got you one upped haha
The rattlers have alot of resemblance to our first bot shockwave but we had a different style thresher i guess you could call it
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:24 am

Alex Udanis wrote:
rjw wrote:
What esc are they using...is it not compatible or?

I have a mamba (reversible at least) . Any poblems with them?

they were using a mamba monster i believe

we have mamba max...couldn't find a monster n their site???

I might be brain dead tho.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:26 am

Alex has there products memorized
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/mamba_monster.html
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:32 am

Cody Harris wrote:
haha i understand like i said this is only our third year competing, we got you one upped haha
The rattlers have alot of resemblance to our first bot shockwave but we had a different style thresher i guess you could call it

as everyone know, they look like of max impact clones, but they are actually different in more than a few ways, outside of being totally symetrical....no big drum up high.

i wihs that we could get the youth fair video of rattler 2 vs lucky strike.

Our articulated wedge beat the crap out of that 4120 driven spinner, in both final matches.

If we can get some funding for titanium next year, it would be cool
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:34 am

We picked up titanium from for both bots this year, and were also sponsored by Castle Creations now.
Its nice being a well known team lol
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:36 am

Cody Harris wrote:
Alex has there products memorized
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/mamba_monster.html

Like i said, brain dead!!

We would need the titanium to make weight if it is heavier than the max....

we are within 10 grams of 15 lbs. on our drum bot...ouch

so what's the difference between the max and the mamba?

I see higher voltage and a fan???
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:42 am

Im really not sure to be honest, thats one alex could answer for you.
I saw a video of Lucky Strike vs. Uknight, it doesnt impress me at all, it looks like lots of chewy aluminum Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:44 am

Cody Harris wrote:
We picked up titanium from for both bots this year, and were also sponsored by Castle Creations now.
Its nice being a well known team lol

You guys deserve it, seems like a nice program up there.

we managed to recruite a fab shop that laser cut our stainles parts from material they had lying around.

Thankfully they made them 6 at a time, cause we've needed the spares...???
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:49 am

Cody Harris wrote:
I saw a video of Lucky Strike vs. Uknight, it doesnt impress me at all, it looks like lots of chewy aluminum Very Happy

true...it's a big motor driving a large diameter spinner. The rest is pretty chewy and it's slow. Hopeefully (for them) they'll get some of the kinks out of it. Teeth look welded on???

In it's current form, simply knocking it over renders it immobile.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:53 am

We have a small team and i couldnt tell you how many hours we've spent on bots, im pretty sure you have an idea tho hahaha
What kind of parts did you make outta stainless.
I forget the name, but i remember you guys had a sponsor that seemed like they helped you out alot.
We have one sponsor Jenison Corp. thats just been absolutely amazing for us! They try and help us with anything we ask of them.
We send them our CADs and they EDM our inner frame for us, just about the same thing with anything else we need, as long as we do the design and CADs
Outside of the frame and some stuff for weapons, we do mostly everything else inhouse even with the little resources we have.
At school we have a drill press, grinder, a hand lathe from 72', and hand tools
We try to be creative haha
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:57 am

rjw wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:

true...it's a big motor driving a large diameter spinner. The rest is pretty chewy and it's slow. Hopeefully (for them) they'll get some of the kinks out of it. Teeth look welded on???

In it's current form, simply knocking it over renders it immobile.
[

This is one of the only pics ive seen of it from buildersdb
I swear in that picture its a turnigy motor,theres now way that ones an axi they may have upgraded now tho, and also it seems to be a one piece disk, maybe teeth have broken off and welded back on?
In the video i saw, it could drive inverted but the weapon only spins one direction like most bots, and could flip itself back over with a reverse forward motion
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:05 am

Actually, that could be me....

I am an advisor to the team, and also put them in contact with a customer of mine with plenty of stainless, lasers and shear, brakes, etc.

The articulated wedge, rear plows and front guards are all stainless.

I am actually doing a lot of research on beetles at the moment. Trying to stir up interest and maybe get a few more public schools in Miami involved. At the moment , only 2 compete in bots iq. Both first year teams (last year)
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:11 am

Here's a fuuzy closeup of what they had at the fair

Looks like they changed it???
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:13 am

rjw wrote:

I am an advisor to the team, and also put them in contact with a customer of mine with plenty of stainless, lasers and shear, brakes, etc.

I am actually doing a lot of research on beetles at the moment. Trying to stir up interest and maybe get a few more public schools in Miami involved. At the moment , only 2 compete in bots iq. Both first year teams (last year)
Ive seen your post on the RFL forum
Depending on your school, you could probably purchase an arena with a tax write off
I dont know exactly how deep you want to get into it, but maybe try getting in touch with you local state rep.
A giant part to the sucess up here, is the state grant recieved by botsIQ
Each competeing team to our competition recieves $600 and a spektrum remote, which is alot
Theres no registration fee so its a free program

Last edited by Cody Harris on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:14 am

yeah yeah thats def an Axi
What the bearing and tap on the end for?
its wierd theyd cover those ports
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:17 am

Cody Harris wrote:
rjw wrote:

I dont know exactly how deep you want to get into it, but maybe try getting in touch with you local state rep.
A giant part to the sucess up here, is the state grant recieved by botsIQ
Each competeing team to our competition recieves $600 and a spektrum remote, which is alot
Theres no registration fee so its a free program

I'll let the teachers know about that..they could certainly use some $$$$
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:23 am

The grant was towards the BotsIQ organization tho, not to individual team.
If you could get some more schools atleast interested and start a comitee im sure you would be alot more likely
ANother big part of the sucess is the company sponsorship
There are several companies which donate to the organization and each is then designated to a team, so being more generous then others unfortunatly but in these times, beyond resonable
Our local BotsIQ pushes the idea of growing the machining, engineering and etc. fields
NTMA also has ALOT of intrest in botsiq if there is a local ch. in miami you may be able to get in touch with
Idk if you saw my edit on my last post but if you get intrest in the beetles, depending on the cooperation of your school you my be able to purchase a arena with a tax write off to the seller
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:24 am

Cody Harris wrote:
yeah yeah thats def an Axi
What the bearing and tap on the end for?
its wierd theyd cover those ports

at the fair, that bot was prety beat up as compared to your pic.

Here is a pic of the rattlers

On left, is old wedge, on right is new one. Both bots can be converted to drums as well.

the wedges, front guards and rear plows are stainless...they weigh a ton...!!

Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:29 am

Thats why
The new wedge looks interesting
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:30 am

Cody Harris wrote:
The grant was towards the BotsIQ organization tho, not to individual team.
If you could get some more schools atleast interested and start a comitee im sure you would be alot more likely
ANother big part of the sucess is the company sponsorship
There are several companies which donate to the organization and each is then designated to a team, so being more generous then others unfortunatly but in these times, beyond resonable
Our local BotsIQ pushes the idea of growing the machining, engineering and etc. fields
NTMA also has ALOT of intrest in botsiq if there is a local ch. in miami you may be able to get in touch with
Idk if you saw my edit on my last post but if you get intrest in the beetles, depending on the cooperation of your school you my be able to purchase a arena with a tax write off to the seller

I'll point some teachers to this and hopefully they'll figure it out. I devote to much time already

But thanks for the headsup.

Industry down here died when they outsourced everything to china.

The tool and die business is dead and the few shops that are left, are starving and also outsourcing..

I think that fluffy was outsourced lol
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:34 am

yes yes it was outsource lol
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:40 am

Cody Harris wrote:

Thats why
The new wedge looks interesting

If LS lands a certain way, on the blade and leaning on a rear corner, it can't move at all fwir

Maybe they lost the old motor in that match.

We're hoping that the parent that videod all our matches comes thru ...then you'll see.

The new wedge is better than the old , but needs a 3rd revision...combo of titanium and a backup to the 90 degree lips.

The first wedge was a last minute deal, when they decided to bring both bots to nat's, but only had 1 drum.

If the wedge can be driven correctly, it is capable of neutralizing a drum or a spinner. Over a bit of time, the weapon stops against the lip, at which point the wedge can lift he front of the other bot and ram it into a wall or flip it.

at least , that;s the theory.

we have video of this, in a few matches where the driver was on the ball.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   

Back to top Go down

the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next