Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Share | 

the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

People Skills : 5797
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:44 am

rjw wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:

Thats why
The new wedge looks interesting

If LS lands a certain way, on the blade and leaning on a rear corner, it can't move at all fwir

Maybe they lost the old motor in that match.

We're hoping that the parent that videod all our matches comes thru ...then you'll see.

The new wedge is better than the old , but needs a 3rd revision...combo of titanium and a backup to the 90 degree lips.

The first wedge was a last minute deal, when they decided to bring both bots to nat's, but only had 1 drum.

If the wedge can be driven correctly, it is capable of neutralizing a drum or a spinner. Over a bit of time, the weapon stops against the lip, at which point the wedge can lift he front of the other bot and ram it into a wall or flip it.

at least , that;s the theory.

we have video of this, in a few matches where the driver was on the ball.

I think even if the wedge would get under us, it would still get bent up a little eventually tho
Is there force holding it to the ground?
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

People Skills : 5630
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:48 am

we'll look into the beetle stuff as well.

That arena in your video is anice size. Our bots are pretty fast and could do well there.

The video of us getting ejected by all the spinners has and will be a grat tool , showing our future drivers what NOT to do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:54 am

That arena was used in 07 nationals but was then sold to Plymouth north high school in MA
The better of the two arenas is what we have up here, purchased with some the aforementioned grant
Its a shame they have this arena but only use it for one event
This year we did have a prelim comp. but its really not gonna get much more use then usual
They do let us do some demos here and there threw the year
I really wish they would run it like the MRL does and have competitions almost monthly

I wouldnt try to complicate strategy for rookie drivers and just have them try to keep the drum/wedge to the opponet
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:54 am

Cody Harris wrote:
rjw wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:

Thats why
The new wedge looks interesting

If LS lands a certain way, on the blade and leaning on a rear corner, it can't move at all fwir

Maybe they lost the old motor in that match.

We're hoping that the parent that videod all our matches comes thru ...then you'll see.

The new wedge is better than the old , but needs a 3rd revision...combo of titanium and a backup to the 90 degree lips.

The first wedge was a last minute deal, when they decided to bring both bots to nat's, but only had 1 drum.

If the wedge can be driven correctly, it is capable of neutralizing a drum or a spinner. Over a bit of time, the weapon stops against the lip, at which point the wedge can lift he front of the other bot and ram it into a wall or flip it.

at least , that;s the theory.

we have video of this, in a few matches where the driver was on the ball.

I think even if the wedge would get under us, it would still get bent up a little eventually tho
Is there force holding it to the ground?

It's powered and pretty rigid, thru a high ratio gearmotor.

It can be adjusted to sit right on the floor and it would take quite a bit of force to lift it and get under it.

it'll lift a 15 lbs bot completley off the ground easily.

Prepeerly driven, it is meant to ram and damage wheels, etc.

Against other wedges, fixed or floating, not much so far has gotten under it. Worse case is a pushing match, wedge tip to wedge tip.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:56 am

I do have to say i think rattler was one of, if not the first robot to be thrown over the arena wall like that in BotsIQ history
Oddly enough it happened several times that comp.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:03 am

Cody Harris wrote:
That arena was used in 07 nationals but was then sold to Plymouth north high school in MA
The better of the two arenas is what we have up here, purchased with some the aforementioned grant
Its a shame they have this arena but only use it for one event
This year we did have a prelim comp. but its really not gonna get much more use then usual
They do let us do some demos here and there threw the year
I really wish they would run it like the MRL does and have competitions almost monthly

I wouldnt try to complicate strategy for rookie drivers and just have them try to keep the drum/wedge to the opponet

I agree

at the fair, the wedge driver only adjusted the wedge so as to be touching the floor, very little to no lifting. If he got inverted, he readjusted.

Nothing got under it.

Mind you the other bots were not world class caliber (IMO). Only LS had a weapon that was working well and could pack a decent punch.

If and when you see the video, it will be somewhat boring. Both drivers set themselves up to get launched (as you might have noticed in the vid I posted)

Our wins ar boring, but are losses are usually not. But they keep coming backfor more, so that's agood thing
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:11 am

Cody Harris wrote:
I do have to say i think rattler was one of, if not the first robot to be thrown over the arena wall like that in BotsIQ history
Oddly enough it happened several times that comp.

I referred to it as being FILED...like putting a file in a filing cabinet.

I think that one of our bots hit the roof in one match!! But it lived and was still moving.

An obvious problem with a chameleon bot, is that more compromises have to be made.

The new rookies are excited and we will encourage them to build all the standard bots over the next few years.

The current bots wil be used to see how theirs hold up.

IIRC, we actually took 8th and 12th at nat's last year and I think that they will be more competitive in the future before they are retired.

we're hoping for a decent size cnc soon, so that they can make more spares for these 2. This would allow the drivers to at least get some stick time. An arena would help as well...
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:44 pm

Quote :
I think that one of our bots hit the roof in one match!! But it lived and was still moving.
I remember watching that match, it was pretty close
Executer has put bots off the cieling tho and with some good force, but they just dont seem to have any luck with the design

Not the angle i was looking for but the hit at 10 seconds
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

People Skills : 4332
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:55 pm

rjw wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:
The grant was towards the BotsIQ organization tho, not to individual team.
If you could get some more schools atleast interested and start a comitee im sure you would be alot more likely
ANother big part of the sucess is the company sponsorship
There are several companies which donate to the organization and each is then designated to a team, so being more generous then others unfortunatly but in these times, beyond resonable
Our local BotsIQ pushes the idea of growing the machining, engineering and etc. fields
NTMA also has ALOT of intrest in botsiq if there is a local ch. in miami you may be able to get in touch with
Idk if you saw my edit on my last post but if you get intrest in the beetles, depending on the cooperation of your school you my be able to purchase a arena with a tax write off to the seller

I'll point some teachers to this and hopefully they'll figure it out. I devote to much time already

But thanks for the headsup.

Industry down here died when they outsourced everything to china.

The tool and die business is dead and the few shops that are left, are starving and also outsourcing..

I think that fluffy was outsourced lol

Yeah, Fluffy was (like so many other things) Made in China. Although through a stroke of great fortune they now possess the tools necessary to fully machine it themselves (everything except waterjet cutting, welding & heat treating steel can be done in-house).
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:42 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
Quote :
Executer has put bots off the cieling tho and with some good force, but they just dont seem to have any luck with the design

what was the floppy wedge made out of?

Looked pretty mangled
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:44 pm

Jeff L wrote:

Yeah, Fluffy was (like so many other things) Made in China. Although through a stroke of great fortune they now possess the tools necessary to fully machine it themselves (everything except waterjet cutting, welding & heat treating steel can be done in-house).

Who is THEY ???
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:54 pm

Alex Udanis wrote:
rjw wrote:
Cody Harris wrote:
Quote :

what was the floppy wedge made out of?

Looked pretty mangled

steel

Give us three minutes with you wedge and i think we could make it look the same way Razz
They switched to a hinged titanium wedge now, i wanna say 1/4" but im pretty sure im wrong and Alex will correct me
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:01 pm

yeahhhhh that makes alot more sense lol how think was the s7 bumper
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:05 pm

A6L-4V 12 gauge...7" x 36"....$20 we picked up a sample today

I think that is a decent price? 5 bucks a pound????

The rattlers are going titanium...... front wedge will be a bit tougher to mangle at almost 1/4" thick...but I'm sure our guys will figure out a way to do it....

Last edited by rjw on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:16 pm

Alex Udanis wrote:
rjw wrote:
A6L-4V 12 gauge...7" x 36"....$20 we picked up a sample today

I think that is a decent price? 5 bucks a pound????

The rattlers are going titanium...... front wedge will be a bit tougher to mangle at almost /4" thick...but I'm sure our guys will figure out a way to do it....

Going surplus rate is about $90/#

prices at titanium joe's on 1/4" seemed cheape than that???
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:20 pm

what grade will you be using?
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

People Skills : 4332
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:22 pm

rjw wrote:
Jeff L wrote:

Who is THEY ???

They would be the RE Robotics & Engineering Team. Apparently the only reason the team had it machined in China was the machining equipment wasn't going to be set up early enough for them to get things going for the Youth Fair competition.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:22 pm

Cody Harris wrote:
what grade will you be using?

I think i posted that???

6-4 grade 5
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:23 pm

Jeff L wrote:
rjw wrote:
Jeff L wrote:

Who is THEY ???

They would be the RE Robotics & Engineering Team. Apparently the only reason the team had it machined in China was the machining equipment wasn't going to be set up early enough for them to get things going for the Youth Fair competition.

Cool

nice to be able to do more stuff inhouse
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:39 pm

In a pinch, I've used a drill press as a mill and lathe on soft materials

nice to have a pro shop fab stuff for you tho???
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:43 pm

Alex Udanis wrote:
rjw wrote:
In a pinch, I've used a drill press as a mill and lathe on soft materials

nice to have a pro shop fab stuff for you tho???

we have a dremal tool for that sort of stuff lol

i have a pocket knife to lol shockwave
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:45 pm

the look on his face...
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:50 pm

Seriously...or semi-seriously...

many years ago, I was at a shop that had just a drill press , but in the corner on the floor was a small x/y table.

I made an aluminum v-belt pulley that we needed with that and a piece of hss that I ground on a sander

rube or mcgyver...or whatever....

also used a piec of paper as a dial indicator to check that things were running trueyou work with what you got....in a pinch

I would venture to bet that if you could find a cheapo x/y table for maybe $20 and someone in charge watched you do something like that, that they would either throw you out on your ear, or get you a decent piece of machinery..maybe a mill in that you already have a lathe???
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:59 pm

We top that lol

Our first bots frame was cut with a radial arm saw and slots were done with a CNC router with a metal bit in it, we do have a drill press for the holes we could get to with it, the rest were with a hand drill, and luckly we do have a hand lathe from like 1972
It ended up being crazy over wieght so we ended up drilling like 3/4" holes everywhere, then trying to save more weigh someone, who wont be mentioned, drilled out the leads in our switch, so it no longer worked, in a rush we decided to cut a hole in our top plate to just connect battery leads but were told we couldnt do that and we found a switch somewhere
All of our outer frame pieces last year along with out axles were cut with a saw zaw and trimmed to length on a bench grinder.
Most of the stuff done on our bots is done this way, we try to be creative Smile
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

OOOOOO and i cut our teeth for our drum with a saw zaw then trimmed them to length on a valve grinder.
Supriseingly they came out freakin close as hell and were really balanced lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors   

Back to top Go down

the massive 8 pages of unrelated talk on deans connectors
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next