Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Need to source some creativity

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Charlie Papa

People Skills : 4168
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Need to source some creativity Empty
PostSubject: Need to source some creativity   Need to source some creativity I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 9:15 pm

Hello! I've always admired the creativity and talent exhibited by all of you, and hoping perhaps some of you can lend me some ideas on a project my buddy and I are working on.

We're basically looking for a simple, economical, moving target. I know, what does this have to do with battlebots? Well, my buddy had the idea of up-armoring an electric wheelchair, since they can handle a good deal of weight, and running it on some sort of channel track. Using some google-fu, I found that many robust robots are built around electric wheelchair drivetrains. And then I thought maybe some battlebot folks would like to see if they could design something truly bulletproof Smile

So we need something that can simply track a straight line at a constant preset speed, then reverse direction, starting and stopping by remote command. We'll need to hang about 100lbs of armor steel on one side to protect it from impacts, and will need at least a 6"x6" spot on top to mount the target.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! Parts recommendations, drawings/sketches, anything that can help. I've got pretty basic electronic skills, but learn fairly fast. I can also weld and do basic fabrication. Once we get some basic plans laid out, I'll post them here and let you guys tear them apart, tell me why it won't work or how to do it better. And once it's finished, we'll get some video of it in action getting pounded by live fire.

Thanks in advance for any help!

CP
Back to top Go down
Stephen
super contributor
super contributor
Stephen

People Skills : 5586
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Need to source some creativity   Need to source some creativity I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 9:34 pm

the only thing i have ever heard of anywhere near this is my dads buddy made a bionic dear that ran through his yard (on a metal track) the legs moved and stuff its pretty cool but he only used it for bow so not really sure. i know frisco would probably go crazy over a project like this
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WestMifflinRobotics
Charlie Papa

People Skills : 4168
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Need to source some creativity   Need to source some creativity I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 10:00 pm

That deer sounds pretty awesome! We found a chair in Craigslist for 100 bucks. She says someone ran it into a wall and now it won't go forward, but still reverses. Sounds like a controller issue, hopefully.
Back to top Go down
MikeNCR
super contributor
super contributor
MikeNCR

People Skills : 5803
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Need to source some creativity   Need to source some creativity I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 12:53 am

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I know the guy that's working on these- http://www.indiegogo.com/target
Back to top Go down
http://nearchaos.net
Luke

Luke

People Skills : 4795
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Need to source some creativity   Need to source some creativity I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 10:07 pm

May have luck with CIM motors, they are fairly cheap and work to move (slowly) FRC robots that weigh 120lbs.
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

People Skills : 4982
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Need to source some creativity   Need to source some creativity I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Idk what your price range is but there are some prebuilt chasis that you can get off line that are built for larger weight class robots that may fit your needs almost perfectly. below is a link to an example of one
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/BK-BKT220.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need to source some creativity   Need to source some creativity I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need to source some creativity
Page 1 of 1