Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Share | 

How to achieve that really high drum rpm

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jtmurrer

People Skills : 1666
Registration date : 2013-03-15

PostSubject: How to achieve that really high drum rpm   Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:23 pm

I know this might be a pretty dumb question thats hard to anwser but im wondering how teamjags small drum manages to produce so many joules of energy. I'm guessin they have to be running over 25k? Im just wondering how to get there, real light drum aerodynamics and maybe 2:1 with the bigger pulley on the motor? Im just starting to really get how to design a weapon properly.
Back to top Go down
jtmurrer

PostSubject: Re: How to achieve that really high drum rpm   Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:24 pm

Yea ill definetly give that a try. I'm the designer/ driver for the past scars, with our chassis were pretty much stuck with the smaller diameter drum without heavy modification. With our single tooth drum we were expeierencing significant drag on the shaft due too a small hole for the shaft and our belts on the baseplate. We are running the fieago 540xl with a 4cell Li-ion so we should be getting pretty close too 18k with the 1:1 pulley. We're hopefully gonna expand the inside diameter of the weapon to reduce the drag and weight to help increase the rpm. Also redo the batteries for 5cell b/c 6 would burn up our banebots drive motors if I'm not mistaken. We were only getting 8000 hopefully get it up to at least 20 for better weapon to weapon and a fear factor lol, we're just not getting the joules of energy were looking for with the 2in diameter
Back to top Go down
jtmurrer

PostSubject: Re: How to achieve that really high drum rpm   Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Yea even though im graduating ive already started some of the early designing of next years bot with greater diameter drum and non-structural base-plate, Should be a significant change from our previous years. Also what is the average joules of the weapons that you have built?
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer

People Skills : 5568
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: How to achieve that really high drum rpm   Sat May 11, 2013 10:47 pm

The only real time that MLEC's drums shine, is againsst other drums/verticals. Faster tip speed = ???Very Happy
I actually machined the solid S7 drums on my 4 axis machine.

While Alex is quick to show the obvious, ther are other matches where WMD and others got some pretty good bite.

The drums can be slowed down, and with a good charge, pretty good things can happen.

But it is really tough to get a good bite...I can think of several occasions where Rattler 1 or Sting WMD destroed othe bots, mostly because of drum tip speed.

i.e WMD vs Fluffy 2 and some others.

2010 Franklin Cup winner
Vapor bots..Ho
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to achieve that really high drum rpm   

Back to top Go down

How to achieve that really high drum rpm
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1