Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

New Materials?

Go down 
+11
rdubard
Josh Raichel
Sean Rubin
Will Bales
RemoteContact
Jeff L
Cody
jeeves_m_d
MikeNCR
Dan Curhan
MattTavares
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6338
Registration date : 2009-03-14

New Materials? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 12:17 pm

[quote=RemoteContact]Annealed 4130 is just expensive mild steel. Seriously. [/quote]

haha yeahh... we chose it with the intention of heat treating it, but we never did. Arguably, though, it IS lighter than mild steel. There's a noticeable difference...
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
RemoteContact

People Skills : 5371
Registration date : 2009-10-15

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 1:27 pm

yeah yeah yeah, thats what they all say...
Back to top Go down
Josh Raichel
great contributor
great contributor
Josh Raichel

People Skills : 5764
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 12:56 am

I was thinking about using some wierd/uncommon Armour for Icarus. Not wedged just a piece of something protecting the outside wheels, and supporting them. I was thinking about making the support pieces that hold the ends of the shafts be a Alumium or titanium, then put a coating of something on the outside to make it impact resistant. Or putting a piece of something on the outside instead of a coating.

How is that UHMW for impacts against vertical spinners? worst case sernario i would make replaceable armour that i change after every couple of matches. providing its cheap...

I was actually contemplating a Wax armour aswell.

Get my support metal, then coat it in a .25-.50'' thick sheet of wax. When they hit it, the wax takes the impact and chips off. Far out there but its something. I definitely like reactive armour if i could implement it into a battlebot..
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/josh.raichel
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6546

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:34 am

Take a look at X-Contamination's flap-type armor. 1/16" aluminum plate from Shell Lumber, mounted with extremely loose bolts to the chassis via two hinges. It was probably one of the more pathetic materials to pick for armor, but the implementation was perfect - all it did was keep weapons away from the expensive bits. Also, repairs consisted of flattening it out with a hammer after a match and an individual flap generally lasted around two years.
Back to top Go down
Josh Raichel
great contributor
great contributor
Josh Raichel

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:57 am

I was thinking something like that with that UHMW or similar. Just get enough alumnium to support the wheels on the outside, then pack a bunch of that UHMW around it. And just keep a nice stockpile when those go, then replace after a match.
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5903
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 6:00 am

The trick to the 'armor' JeffL was talking about is that it is NOT firmly attached. It's comical to watch, because the darn thing (X-contamination) rattled like crazy and looked like it was gonna fall apart at any moment--and that was it's benefit. The plates weighed very little (absolutely swisscheesed and only 1/16th inch thick), and could shift and move about with ease--a 'hit' on them simply tossed them around.

They also had zero ground clearance--which was actually why they were originally tried, the rest was just luck.

Much of the benefit may have been purely psychological. Since a driver is not likely to take evasive action until the opponent actually makes contact, then having 3 or 4 inches of 'dead space' between the outside of the robot and the actual working parts sort of forces a survival instinct, yet at the same time gives the impression of indestructability.

Air makes a cheap, light, and effective armor, as long as you keep enough of it between the opponent and your working parts.
Back to top Go down
Andy

Andy

People Skills : 5127
Registration date : 2010-04-16

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 7:57 pm

How about depleted Uranium??? haha jk

Has anyone tried carbide coating?
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7783
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 8:36 pm

we tried a titanium composite coating last year.
it might have helped a little but it was to brittle and we didnt see any real advantages with it
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 8:38 pm

There's a trick I've heard of used for industrial shredder teeth where the edges of the teeth are ground down to a chamfer, then built back up with a weld which is then ground back down to match the original dimensions. This is apparently because welds can be much, much harder than the material the rest of the tooth is made of.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7736
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 8:43 pm

Jeff L wrote:
There's a trick I've heard of used for industrial shredder teeth where the edges of the teeth are ground down to a chamfer, then built back up with a weld which is then ground back down to match the original dimensions. This is apparently because welds can be much, much harder than the material the rest of the tooth is made of.

Sounds like a 3rd world country rube...but I'm open minded...any links to this?
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7783
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 8:46 pm

welds can be extremely strong but they are also really brittle.
Thats why anytime you break a weld your supposed to grind the entire weld out and its still brittle because the materials pretty much been work hardened
I dont exactly think it would be the best idea but hey what do i know
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 10:04 pm

I think how the shredder gets away with it is they're not subject to short, intense shocks; they're very low rpm. I don't know how it would fare on a high rpm tooth.
Back to top Go down
Dan Curhan
Admin
Dan Curhan

People Skills : 6338

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 12:55 pm

steel weld is VERY hard (aluminum, however, gets softer when you weld it...)

My dad made a steel drum for an antweight bot, welded teeth on it, welded along the tips of the teeth, ground it down, and welded it again, and ground it down again, and they came out super sharp and super hard. It hasn't fought yet, so idk how it'll fare, but it looks pretty good.

If you were at Battlebots last year in SF, remember the winner of the pro division, Brutality? It was a bar spinner with a big metal wedge on front. The wedge took some MASSIVE hits and barely took any damage. I asked the team what it was made of.

They started with a steel plate (idk if it was chromoly or not, I think it was just cold rolled steel), maybe 1/2" thick, and covered it with weld, ground it down, and did it again a few times. I have never seen a more indestructible armor plate on a bot.

...And then there was VD6 who had a CF shell with a wood/kevlar front armor bar thing... that was interesting...
Back to top Go down
http://666bots.blogspot.com/
Josh Raichel
great contributor
great contributor
Josh Raichel

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 12:58 pm

Hmmm.... This is giving me some ideas....
Back to top Go down
SamM
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 5355
Registration date : 2009-12-22

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 1:22 am

We use 'hardfacing' stainless steel weld beads to protect the cutting edges on our farm equipment. It wears much slower than the rest of the steel on the bucket.

I was thinking that it could also be used to protect edges of armor where a vertical would normally be able to get a good bite on.
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

People Skills : 6134
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 11:32 pm

I forgot that Brutality had done that! it's a great idea, cheap too!
Back to top Go down
TeamThinkTank

People Skills : 4899
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 12:02 am

SamM wrote:
We use 'hardfacing' stainless steel weld beads to protect the cutting edges on our farm equipment. It wears much slower than the rest of the steel on the bucket.

I was thinking that it could also be used to protect edges of armor where a vertical would normally be able to get a good bite on.
Between events we hardface any cuts or gashes and repair the teeth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamthinktank.net
RemoteContact

People Skills : 5371
Registration date : 2009-10-15

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 1:32 pm

What tig rod do you guys use for hardfacing? My discs are hardened 4140.
Back to top Go down
TeamThinkTank

People Skills : 4899
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 7:09 pm

RemoteContact wrote:
What tig rod do you guys use for hardfacing? My discs are hardened 4140.
Our discs are either 4140 or AR500. I am not sure on the exact part number type of deal. I can check on it for you, I did buy some about a year ago at airgas. Ted has been welding for years, so there is no point in me welding much so it isnt something I can recall. Besides he smokes which he claims is the only way you can be a welder and live. Haha.
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamthinktank.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Materials?   New Materials? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Materials?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2