Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

A Whyachi-Killer if you will..

Go down 
+8
Alex Mattaway
jeeves_m_d
Jeff L
Dan Curhan
rjw
MikeNCR
Cody
Will Bales
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5949
Registration date : 2009-06-10

A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 9:28 am

Brass does conduct--why not put one together with those parts and test it? There are countless electronic devices out there that have used brass for conductors (I remember many toys I broke open as a kid that used brass conductors)

Also, what does your dad have to say about it? I'm certain there's a calculation that would yield the max safe current for a particular cross-sectional area of a particular material conductor.

I mean, it's still wrong, and you should not have to pay full price for them, but maybe you can make lemonade?

On another topic--did you ever get a chance to ask Nola about the wrench touching a conductor?
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Prezerdent of Sexxi Cuddlemen
Prezerdent of Sexxi Cuddlemen
Sean Rubin

People Skills : 5958
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 12:45 am

Jackie Chan is only good at acting and being a stunt double. Don't rely on him for engineering... lol!
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

People Skills : 6180
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 12:59 am

Phil Tan, my other dude in Chinaland, is sending me the other parts soon. Hopefully we'll have some real copper contacts for switches!!

Ya, brass does conduct, but not nearly as well as copper does!

http://www.tibtech.com/conductivity.php

You'll see that even Aluminum is a better conductor than Brass! The only thing better than copper would be silver, but I really don't see the point in a 100 DC switch for a battlebot! They could be silver plated.. !!

Maybe we should incorporate some kind of LED..
Back to top Go down
Joe

People Skills : 5310
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 9:04 pm

Hey Will, about the hex wrench touching the contact... Why not the thread the center contact and use a nylon machine screw with a bolt on the other end?
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5949
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 7:13 am

Joe has a really good idea there.
It wouldn't add much weight and I cannot think of any reason it wouldn't work.

It also still allows for stacking them to create multiple-throw switches This is what I really want--whenever you've got several batteries and several speed controllers, usually for separate drive and weapon systems, but also for redundancy, you lose all the benefits when you route it through one switch, but it's impractical to have to operate more than two switches to activate/deactivate the bot. (and maybe against the rules, too)

Again, I think you should just put a few together with whatever you've got and try 'em out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Whyachi-Killer if you will..   A Whyachi-Killer if you will.. - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Whyachi-Killer if you will..
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3