Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7736
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug Empty
PostSubject: Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug   Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 2:40 pm

Well, the little bots have spawned a bit of creativity

Here's gen 1

Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug Deans_14

And here's gen 2

Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug Deans112

It adjusts just like a wyachi, has several mounting options and the deans ultra can handle 100/200 amps

Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug Deans_15

Overkill for a little bot, but under 12 grams and small enough to fit in a quite a few locations, while also protecting the contacts from shorts.

Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug Deans_16
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
MikeNCR
super contributor
super contributor
MikeNCR

People Skills : 5803
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug   Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 4:20 pm

That is very neat
Back to top Go down
http://nearchaos.net
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug   Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 4:24 pm

They are perfect for our little bots, space wise, plus I can also install an led if needed, in that none of our esc/receiver lights are visible from anywhere.

I am hoping that maybe Will can produce them in quantities that are affordable.... Will??

I hate production work.

A modified 2 contact version might be good for you guys looking to turn power on from 2 differnt sources
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5903
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug   Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Woah! Very cool!
I hate to sound dense, but I just want to be sure: This drives a dean's connector together/apart by turning a screw?

Ironically, I suggested to the Ransom students that they look into this approach back when we were trying to figure out a way to switch 8 seperate circuits simultaneously. They never 'took the bait," and so we ended up with only two circuits and Whyachi got more of our dough. (Admittedly, it did work just fine, and we didn't have to put much time into it)

Anyway, this is a GREAT solution.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug   Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 8:01 pm

rdubard wrote:
Woah! Very cool!
I hate to sound dense, but I just want to be sure: This drives a dean's connector together/apart by turning a screw?

Ironically, I suggested to the Ransom students that they look into this approach back when we were trying to figure out a way to switch 8 seperate circuits simultaneously. They never 'took the bait," and so we ended up with only two circuits and Whyachi got more of our dough. (Admittedly, it did work just fine, and we didn't have to put much time into it)

Anyway, this is a GREAT solution.

that's exactly how it works..where's Will when you need him? lol
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug   Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 9:26 am

Here are a pair of prototypes

Switch on left is open...on right it's closed

Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug 2_dean10

Plenty of meat left for mounting options up to #8 or 10 screws
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5903
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug   Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 5:27 pm

If this were manufactured for sale, I would recommend either pre-soldering leads on the connectors, or making them out of the pre-soldered Deans pigtail.

Question-how did you remove the parts to put in the screw/'nut'? (I'm guessing you used heat, and took advantage of the Dean's tendancy to melt and misalign if overheated) If these do NOT end up in mass production, then I would love to copy this idea for Ransom's 'bots next year--so can we? huh? pretty pleease?
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug   Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 6:14 pm

rdubard wrote:
If this were manufactured for sale, I would recommend either pre-soldering leads on the connectors, or making them out of the pre-soldered Deans pigtail.

Question-how did you remove the parts to put in the screw/'nut'? (I'm guessing you used heat, and took advantage of the Dean's tendancy to melt and misalign if overheated) If these do NOT end up in mass production, then I would love to copy this idea for Ransom's 'bots next year--so can we? huh? pretty pleease?

Nope

The switches can be completely assembled or disassembled without heat or anything else. The deans contacts can be oushed out of the housings quite easily.

You can solder to the deans contacts either before or after assembly.

I just put one together with 16 guage wire and soldered after the switch was fully assembled.

I'm hoping that Will might come forward and mass produce these or send to china for them or whatever. Otherwise I'll pobably make a batch of 25 or 50 on a first come basis if there is any interest.

Feel free to steal...oops borrow whatever you like, but there is a little more to them than meets the eye.

They are really cool...if you want to see one, just give me a call and we'll meet up sometime....I'm in south Miami cel: 954-680-2009 name is Richard
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

People Skills : 6134
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug   Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 12:54 am

oh boy! that looks much better than the first generation!! Sounds like Alex and Tyler wouldn't mind making some of these, so I'll give it a shot! I'll need one to get the dimensions, design it in Solidworks, and have a mounting system for it. Do you think that you could send me one? We could consider it payment for the gears and the switch housing! Laughing
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug   Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 12:57 am

I've got one with your name on it!!! well...I just need to make 1 part for it.

I won't need the switch housing right at the moment, tho....

So when will you be back in town?

I may still need to use gen 1 or some version of it on my little drum bot, if I need 4 or 5 grams of fluff to make weight....lol
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

People Skills : 6134
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug   Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 1:04 am

I'll be back in town the 6th. then I leave the 11th again! then I'll be back the 18th, and gone the 31st!
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug   Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 1:06 am

Give me a call when you get in and I'll have a switch and a solidworks file for you as well...hope you're having fun!!!

btw: nice to have Bob Dubard on the forum....

oh...and the switch does have several mounting options built in...if that's what you were refering to???

They're just hard to see in that the polycarb is clear
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug   Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 3:35 am

FWI: Both of our 3 lbs bots ...Sting and Son of Thump, are now equiped with the Deans Utra switch...so we'll see how they hold up
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug   Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 1:51 pm

fwiw: The deans switches held up perfectly..we had some radio problems (others did as well) but no power problems at all
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug   Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Compact/light on/off switch using deans ultra plug
Page 1 of 1