Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ryan McKinney

People Skills : 5133
Registration date : 2010-07-20

Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? Empty
PostSubject: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 6:16 pm

I know loctite is generally bad to use in robots, but in this case it was unavoidable, and it's not being used for anything structural. What's the best type of Loctite to bond aluminum to aluminum or aluminum to steel?
McMaster describes Loctite 430, 660, and 493 as very good for bonding metal but it doesn't say which is better.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6596
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 6:24 pm

I would imagine an epoxy would be a better bet for something structural - a lot of loctites are very brittle.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7833
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 6:25 pm

simple jb weld or metal epoxy would be my suggestion
Back to top Go down
Ryan McKinney

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 6:38 pm

I'll try the jb weld. Thanks
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

People Skills : 7786
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 9:50 pm

if it's of any importance, scrap it and do it right
Back to top Go down
http://www.R2RCR.com
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:03 pm

My 12 melty can test all of your bondo joints for you....possibly adjust a few as well...bring it
Back to top Go down
Ryan McKinney

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:16 pm

I can't afford to scrap it and it's only an antweight sooo i'm going with the jb weld. The worst that can happen is a timing pulley doesn't hold on the shaft and goes spinning...and if that happens, I just need to drill a hole through timing pulley and shaft and put a pin in there, or maybe a threaded pin...and then jb weld it.
Back to top Go down
Ryan McKinney

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:24 pm

With what? tin solder? the timing pulley and shaft are aluminum...
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:25 pm

If it's just an ant, use an elastic band...should hold... affraid

O rings are my new favorite item

I use them to shock isolate batteries onmy little guys and a lot of other stuff.

They're cheap, they provide shock mounting and they let everything breath.....

I just don't use the for belt drives like a lot of others
Back to top Go down
Ryan McKinney

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:31 pm

elastic band? you're kidding right? it's a good idea for batteries i guess. The timing pulley is so small, and has no good attachment points, so my only option is either a pin through the whole thing (probably weakening the shaft) or an adhesive.
Back to top Go down
Ryan McKinney

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:43 pm

What would I braze it with that's stronger than jb weld, and that has a lower melting point than aluminum? The only options I see are tin or lead (which aren't very strong), unless i used thin aluminum, but then I risk melting the timing pulley.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:48 pm

Ryan McKinney wrote:
What would I braze it with that's stronger than jb weld, and that has a lower melting point than aluminum? The only options I see are tin or lead (which aren't very strong), unless i used thin aluminum, but then I risk melting the timing pulley.

I have no clue as to what you are talking about???

How about a picture of the problem parts???
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7833
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:50 pm

i dont think your gonna find anything that will hold beside maybe brazing actually

mcmaster part 7797A11
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5953
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:51 pm

Is the hole in the pulley already larger than the shaft? If not, go undersize by a thousandth or so and press fit.

Or if the hole is already there, make it lots bigger and pressfit a hub in the pulley and the hub onto the shaft.

For high speed/low torque applications pressfit works nicely--consider that almost all 540 can motors pressfit the pinion gears on them.

Really, all an adhesive does is increase the friction, which a greater contact force does just as well.

Of course, if rjw disagrees with me on this, I'm inclined to defer. . .
Back to top Go down
Ryan McKinney

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:59 pm

i didn't know you could braze aluminum...uhh ok. I already bought the jb weld because i had to order some screws anyway. I'll just get that aluminum/silicon brazing wire somewhere local

I was going for a press fit but it turned out to be too loose. I can't put a hub in the pulley because the pulley is too small.
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5953
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 11:29 pm

Buy a new pulley and start over.
Back to top Go down
Ryan McKinney

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 4:58 pm

I'm brazing it.
Back to top Go down
rjw
Chief Bottle Washer
Chief Bottle Washer
rjw

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Wobble?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?   Best type of Loctite to Bond metal? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best type of Loctite to Bond metal?
Page 1 of 1