Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

anodizing aluminum

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
crowconor

crowconor

People Skills : 5017
Registration date : 2010-11-06

anodizing aluminum Empty
PostSubject: anodizing aluminum   anodizing aluminum I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 9:26 pm

I was just wondering if anodizing aluminum worth it? i can get it done to some of our parts, i read it hardens it does it help really? i know you can get it dyed to which was offered to, so i guess that would be pretty cool
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7805
Registration date : 2009-03-16

anodizing aluminum Empty
PostSubject: Re: anodizing aluminum   anodizing aluminum I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 9:53 pm

you wont see any significant difference. We've tried a couple different coating including some that no others will ever have the chance to and we just stick with spray paint.

If its free though why not
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6568
Registration date : 2009-03-14

anodizing aluminum Empty
PostSubject: Re: anodizing aluminum   anodizing aluminum I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 10:08 pm

Yeah, basically it's just a cosmetic thing. The main reason I'd say most things are anodized is to prevent mild damage due to abrasion or weathering over time - which is the opposite of what battlebots generally experience.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

anodizing aluminum Empty
PostSubject: Re: anodizing aluminum   anodizing aluminum I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 10:24 pm

and to prevent oxidation, that about sums it up
Back to top Go down
crowconor

crowconor

People Skills : 5017
Registration date : 2010-11-06

anodizing aluminum Empty
PostSubject: Re: anodizing aluminum   anodizing aluminum I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 10:58 pm

okay thanks, what else could i do to make the Al stronger
Back to top Go down
TeamThinkTank

People Skills : 4921
Registration date : 2010-11-15

anodizing aluminum Empty
PostSubject: Re: anodizing aluminum   anodizing aluminum I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 12:10 am

crowconor wrote:
okay thanks, what else could i do to make the Al stronger

magically turn it into steel.

Not much other then correct design and usage. It is never about what materials you use, more so how you use them in a combat robot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamthinktank.net
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

anodizing aluminum Empty
PostSubject: Re: anodizing aluminum   anodizing aluminum I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 4:17 pm

Go to ti....

We tried this http://www.apogeetechinc.net/products/titanium-composite-coatings/
Its a titanium carbide composite, and it didnt help at all

The only thing you can do is go stronger, then go thicker
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5925
Registration date : 2009-06-10

anodizing aluminum Empty
PostSubject: Re: anodizing aluminum   anodizing aluminum I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 8:38 pm

I'd like to hear from rjw on this. . .but most types of metal do work harden. I don't know what this would entail with Aluminum, or how much it would help. What I imagine is something along the lines of hammering the heck out of one side Very Happy Perhaps some sort of cold rolling?

Generally, no one bothers to try to harden Al--like others have said, use Ti instead. It is just about the same density, but is harder (which I think means it is both stronger and stiffer for the same weight). Of course, it might be less malleable, so it might break before it bends as much as Aluminum would, but I"m pretty sure that's not the case. One thing is certain: Ti makes pretty sparks when it gets hit!

As you can tell, I haven't had much experience with Titanium.

Another alternative is to put a thin sheet of something else (i.e. cladding) over the Al. I have experience using spring steel in this way and it was remarkably effective.
Back to top Go down
TeamThinkTank

People Skills : 4921
Registration date : 2010-11-15

anodizing aluminum Empty
PostSubject: Re: anodizing aluminum   anodizing aluminum I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 12:17 am

Just attach uhmw to the outside. Sometimes you don't want a harder surface. Sometimes it is better to have a slippery surface that is soft and will help catch a blade instead of transfer all the energy without slowing the blade at all.

We have seen some great success in soft armor, but we have also seen some great failures. The best armor is always car tires.
CAR TIRES!
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamthinktank.net
Sponsored content

anodizing aluminum Empty
PostSubject: Re: anodizing aluminum   anodizing aluminum I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

anodizing aluminum
Page 1 of 1