Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Electric Crusher

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6586
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Electric Crusher Empty
PostSubject: Electric Crusher   Electric Crusher I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 4:12 pm

Jeff L wrote:
Electric Crusher

This isn't the most common weapon type in combat robot circles, but it has an excellent track record. Usually driven by hydraulics or pneumatics, smaller versions are possible using electric motors. One variant I came up with a while ago used some of the lessons learned from X-Contamination to build a crusher arm. The intended drive system was one to four high-rpm motors, geared down to sixty RPM as a maximum, driving the linkage system of the crusher arm. The arm itself would be made of either titanium or hardened steel. As an optional add-on, either a carbide tip or a Ferrium C69 tip could be designed into the crusher's point.

This is an extremely feasible design, just not commonly built. In fact, I think a hobbyweight crusher was entered in Motorama a few years ago.

Jeff L wrote:

I'm working on some drawings for this in my spare time as well. More to come.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

Electric Crusher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Crusher   Electric Crusher I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 4:40 pm

Wow, I didn't think I'd come up with something this quickly, but I've got a preliminary design that will definitely work. Scans Pending...
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

Electric Crusher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Crusher   Electric Crusher I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 5:07 pm

The Sketches:
Electric Crusher Crushe11

Any thoughts? (Other than "Wow, this is really easy to build"?)
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

People Skills : 6174
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Electric Crusher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Crusher   Electric Crusher I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:16 pm

ya, that's basically what I came up with the first time.. you could use a ball screw to make it more efficient and powerful.
Back to top Go down
Sean Rubin
Prezerdent of Sexxi Cuddlemen
Prezerdent of Sexxi Cuddlemen
Sean Rubin

People Skills : 5952
Registration date : 2009-03-16

Electric Crusher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Crusher   Electric Crusher I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Isn't that an exact copy of Razer?
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

Electric Crusher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Crusher   Electric Crusher I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:17 pm

the big problem is speed. you want to have a dual action type weapon so that you can quickly grab them to keep your opponent from moving, an then the powerful gearbox to crush..
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

Electric Crusher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Crusher   Electric Crusher I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:20 pm

lastly, the rail idea wont work because it will bind up. it only works for the 1/8th inch of movement where the threaded block is in line with the motor axle. If you put the block on bearings in slots in the arm itself, then you could have it pivot and slide so that the block and the axle are always in line with each other, eliminating any binding.
Back to top Go down
Will Bales
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
Will Bales

Electric Crusher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Crusher   Electric Crusher I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:22 pm

if you did the above, you could keep the slots in the robot side plates..

just my 2 cents!
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

Electric Crusher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Crusher   Electric Crusher I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:49 pm

Will Bales wrote:
the big problem is speed. you want to have a dual action type weapon so that you can quickly grab them to keep your opponent from moving, an then the powerful gearbox to crush..

The problem there is you start trading speed for overall power in the end... that, and the extra space & weight taken up by the competing mechanism would be a bit of a bitch to deal with.

Sean Rubin wrote:
Isn't that an exact copy of Razer?

The profile of the crusher arm is, yes. I just put that in as a stand-in; I was more worried about getting the mechanism to drive the arm done than picking a unique shape. Besides, it's seemed to work pretty well for Razer.

Will Bales wrote:
lastly, the rail idea wont work because it will bind up. it only works for the 1/8th inch of movement where the threaded block is in line with the motor axle. If you put the block on bearings in slots in the arm itself, then you could have it pivot and slide so that the block and the axle are always in line with each other, eliminating any binding.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I've decided I'll tackle that problem later; after all, this is just a preliminary sketch.
Back to top Go down
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

Electric Crusher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Crusher   Electric Crusher I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 12:00 am

Also, Razer uses hydraulics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Electric Crusher Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Crusher   Electric Crusher I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electric Crusher
Page 1 of 1