Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

UHMW Good or Bad

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

People Skills : 4982
Registration date : 2011-03-30

UHMW Good or Bad Empty
PostSubject: UHMW Good or Bad   UHMW Good or Bad I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:24 pm

Has anybody messed with UHMW? does it make a strong rail system, defence system ect.
Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7783
Registration date : 2009-03-16

UHMW Good or Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Good or Bad   UHMW Good or Bad I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 pm

Frisco and West Mifflin swear by it. He likes it not only cause its inexpensive but cause it doesnt always seem to give weapons bite.
Some people have used it structurally in 12 and 15lb bots. I was planning on making a steel wedge with a UHMW frame.
I think the stuffs kinda hit or miss. If your on a budget its great but if I had the money I would use aluminum before it
Back to top Go down
jeeves_m_d
ULTRA contributor
ULTRA contributor
jeeves_m_d

People Skills : 6022
Registration date : 2009-04-21

UHMW Good or Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Good or Bad   UHMW Good or Bad I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Frisco is definetly the expert on the stuff...

It is great as an ablative armor, meaning that it will flex/scrape before allowing an opposing robot to get a good bite on you

the only problem is that its extremely flexible, so you'll have to go alot thicker than you would with metal but the weight difference allows that too happen

Its a hell of alot easier to machine, keep in mind that you should have plenty of spare parts made because the stuff is only good for a few matches in my opinion
Back to top Go down
http://lsrobotics.blogspot.com
jakerheimer

jakerheimer

People Skills : 4784
Registration date : 2011-03-27

UHMW Good or Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Good or Bad   UHMW Good or Bad I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 6:58 am

the last fight in this video is one of our new bots at west mifflin the whole body is made from UHMW and after those few hits in the beginning we had 2 very small anlmost unnoticable knicks.

Back to top Go down
Cody
2000+ club
2000+ club
Cody

People Skills : 7783
Registration date : 2009-03-16

UHMW Good or Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Good or Bad   UHMW Good or Bad I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 12:54 pm

jakerheimer wrote:
the last fight in this video is one of our new bots at west mifflin the whole body is made from UHMW and after those few hits in the beginning we had 2 very small anlmost unnoticable knicks.

Its funny cause thats against his teams bot
Back to top Go down
jakerheimer

jakerheimer

People Skills : 4784
Registration date : 2011-03-27

UHMW Good or Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Good or Bad   UHMW Good or Bad I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 6:21 am

the only reason i won is cause the weapon rod on theirs came out haha i got lucky with that one.

Cody wrote:
jakerheimer wrote:

Its funny cause thats against his teams bot
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

UHMW Good or Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: UHMW Good or Bad   UHMW Good or Bad I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UHMW Good or Bad
Page 1 of 1