Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Beginning design for 2012-2013 Botsiq year.

Go down 
+7
Chris R
Don Doerfler
Alex P. HASD Bots
Luke
Cody
Mr. P
xpachenkox
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jeff L
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks
Jeff L

People Skills : 6547
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Beginning design for 2012-2013 Botsiq year.   - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beginning design for 2012-2013 Botsiq year.    Beginning design for 2012-2013 Botsiq year.   - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Chris R wrote:
I've been working on our 2012-2013 bot for a while now as well. Currently working on some Solidworks components.

Seeing as our program is still in its infancy, we don't have many previous designs to go off of, and we still don't have Solidworks in our computer lab so most of the work gets done here at home. (I actually am still using my 60 day student trial which mysteriously keeps renewing itself)

It should be possible for any student here to get a copy of Autodesk's competing software, Inventor, for a free 1.5 year license (per piece of software). Not sure if this helps with school stuff, but just in case the Solidworks trial dries up on you. Both programs are very similar, and it takes just a few hours of messing around to figure out one if you've learned how to use the other.
Back to top Go down
Luke

Luke

People Skills : 4796
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Beginning design for 2012-2013 Botsiq year.    Beginning design for 2012-2013 Botsiq year.   - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 5:17 pm

Jeff L wrote:

It should be possible for any student here to get a copy of Autodesk's competing software, Inventor, for a free 1.5 year license (per piece of software). Not sure if this helps with school stuff, but just in case the Solidworks trial dries up on you. Both programs are very similar, and it takes just a few hours of messing around to figure out one if you've learned how to use the other.

I find Acad Inventor easier to use once I started to, its importing isn't as good as solidworks or ProEs but the base student copy of ACAD inventor has a lot more features such as stress analysis for assemblies, a parts library of fasteners, easy exporting into animations programs such as 3dsMAX, and the licensing in my opinion is much better than solidworks or ProE's.

Last edited by Luke on Sat May 12, 2012 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Koensig

People Skills : 4876
Registration date : 2011-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Beginning design for 2012-2013 Botsiq year.    Beginning design for 2012-2013 Botsiq year.   - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 11:11 pm

I agree I find Inventor easier to use than Solidworks as well. Not enough to make much of a difference though. The college I'm going to uses SolidEdge. Has anyone used that before?
Back to top Go down
zwtipp05

People Skills : 5082
Registration date : 2010-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Beginning design for 2012-2013 Botsiq year.    Beginning design for 2012-2013 Botsiq year.   - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 2:11 am

Koensig wrote:
I agree I find Inventor easier to use than Solidworks as well. Not enough to make much of a difference though. The college I'm going to uses SolidEdge. Has anyone used that before?

I used SolidEdge for about 2 weeks in an undergrad course before we moved on to SolidWorks. It was pretty simple if I recall, we mostly just did simple extrusions with it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beginning design for 2012-2013 Botsiq year.    Beginning design for 2012-2013 Botsiq year.   - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beginning design for 2012-2013 Botsiq year.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2