Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Help Choosing ESC

Go down 
+3
MikeNCR
Koensig
vaiger
7 posters
AuthorMessage
vaiger

People Skills : 4277
Registration date : 2012-07-16

Help Choosing ESC Empty
PostSubject: Help Choosing ESC   Help Choosing ESC I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 10:30 am

Greetings from a new member in TN. I am very new to combat robots and stumbled across this forum. I am helping my son with a 3lb fighting robot, and we are getting smacked around by the learning curve. We are using the 1000 rpm brushed hobby motors commonly available on ebay. I was hoping to get a Bane Bots 3-9 ESC, but they have been out of stock for a long time. I tried a cheap Turnigy 10A ESC, but it is not working. Can anyone suggest an alternative to the BB 3-9 for my application?
Back to top Go down
Koensig

People Skills : 4875
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Help Choosing ESC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Choosing ESC   Help Choosing ESC I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 11:11 am

There are many small ESCs that you can use. I use Robot Marketplace to find my escs. http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/speed_controllers_main.html
I have a beetleweight and I use the sabertooth 5 controller. I have also used the banebots 3-9 and the Fingertech Tiny Esc. The sabertooth 5 is a dual channel controller meaning that you only need one of it while the 3-9 and Tiny ESCs are single channel which means you need 2 of them. I would reccomend the Tiny ESCs over the banebots.
Back to top Go down
MikeNCR
super contributor
super contributor
MikeNCR

People Skills : 5803
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Help Choosing ESC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Choosing ESC   Help Choosing ESC I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 11:14 am

Without any other info, I'm thinking the Turnigy 10A esc is probably meant for brushless motors and won't control brushed motors without modification.

I've heard tons of good things about the BotBitz controllers ( http://www.botbitz.com/ ) which are brushless esc's that have been modified to run brushed motors. They've currently got a 10A esc in stock that is rated to handle a 3s lipo, so depending on the voltage you intend to run, that may do the trick.
Back to top Go down
http://nearchaos.net
vaiger

People Skills : 4277
Registration date : 2012-07-16

Help Choosing ESC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Choosing ESC   Help Choosing ESC I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 11:35 am

I think my Turnigy ESCs are actually 20A brushed. I had originally looked at 10A but they were brushless and I could only find brushed in 20A. Thanks for the links. I like the price on the botbiz controllers.
Back to top Go down
zwtipp05

People Skills : 5081
Registration date : 2010-05-21

Help Choosing ESC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Choosing ESC   Help Choosing ESC I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 11:39 am

vaiger wrote:
I think my Turnigy ESCs are actually 20A brushed. I had originally looked at 10A but they were brushless and I could only find brushed in 20A. Thanks for the links. I like the price on the botbiz controllers.

The Turnigy ESCs are probably single direction ESCs meant for RC airplanes.

If you end up using the sabertooth, I'd recommend removing the screw terminals and soldering directly to the board. I've had wires come loose before after big hits.

I haven't used the botbitz controllers, but I've heard good things.
Back to top Go down
Don Doerfler
super contributor
super contributor
Don Doerfler

People Skills : 5608
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Help Choosing ESC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Choosing ESC   Help Choosing ESC I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 4:54 pm

i got a couple pairs of the botblitz they work well. They havent been giving me problems (so far)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/DoerflerRobotics?feature=mhum
gtPR

gtPR

People Skills : 4898
Registration date : 2010-12-14

Help Choosing ESC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Choosing ESC   Help Choosing ESC I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 4:26 pm

Like everyone else here I am going to assume that you are refering to drive ESC'c (foward reverse)

Back when BaneBots started going out of stock of their 3-9's (about a year ago) I really needed about 16 (for 8, 3lb bots) and after doing a bit of research, I found out that there was not a full proof/proven esc out there.

so I started testing, First with the Scorpion Mini, I never got them to work, I will say that the tech support at Scorpion did try to do there very best to help out, but in the end just never worked.

I also tried out TinyESC from FingerTech, great little ESCs. very small, had leds which helped with trimming out the Tx. But I did burn up a few in matches. The reason you can use them, is that most motors for 3lbs have a stall current of about 2-3A, which is in spec for the TinyESC, but, if your building a pushybot, it is very likely to be spending alot of its time very close to stall. so not such a good idea.

so while the FingerTech's work, it still wasn't bullet proof (for 3lbs). Then I got word of www.botbitz.com

I did alot of research on them, and their whole back story is pretty cool.

Yes the site is really skechty looking, and the ESC's are basically reprogrammed HobbyKing ESC's. BUT, they work!! and they are awesome!! (and really cheap!)

I have had alot of success using their ESC's and I recomend them completely.

If your bot is going to use a 3S battery, use the ESCheap 10
If your bot is going to use a 4S battery, use the ESCheap 10 premium

I have tried them both and they work flawlessly

Back to top Go down
Don Doerfler
super contributor
super contributor
Don Doerfler

People Skills : 5608
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Help Choosing ESC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Choosing ESC   Help Choosing ESC I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 4:46 pm

I used 2 pairs at botsblast one in a 3lb and one in a fairy. The ones in the 3lb still work and the one in the fairy one direction died on one of the esc(after the esc got hit).So im pretty satisfied with them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/DoerflerRobotics?feature=mhum
marto

People Skills : 4236
Registration date : 2012-08-23

Help Choosing ESC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Choosing ESC   Help Choosing ESC I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Interesting where discussion about our ESCs turns up.

Good to hear you guys are enjoying them. As far as our site goes... yeh new one is slowly coming together and even maybe some documentation. But tbh I prefer to play with new stuff on the ESCs.

Messing around with a few things atm, including reversible sensored brushless, BackEMF sensing for velocity control rather than PWM control and a retail 2in1 controller. I already use the 2in1 (driving 2 brushed motors off one brushless ESC) in a few of my bots but its still lacking a bit of finess when compared to two proper controllers so might be a little while before we see that.

Cheap10 Premium is probably what I would recommend for 3lbers. Just watch the motor brushes on the 1000rpm motors as the end caps pop off and short the brushes, which can kill the ESCs. I dont know any ESCs which will survive a direct short for very long. One of the local builders had a habbit of doing this so he decided to use Cheap25s which is way over kill but it just blew away the brushes rather than killing the ESC.

Also although they say 3/4S I have run the two 10As and the 25As up to 6S without any issues. The 10 Premium has been reprogrammed as a weapon switch in my Feather on 6S and a pair of 25As run the drill motors on 6S. So they will definitely work out of spec (Though I wont recommend you do) oh and dont try above 6S as that is past the FETs max voltage which leads to magic smoke.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help Choosing ESC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help Choosing ESC   Help Choosing ESC I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help Choosing ESC
Page 1 of 1