Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

Rogue Robotics Melty

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
abrown

abrown

People Skills : 4953
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Rogue Robotics Melty Empty
PostSubject: Rogue Robotics Melty   Rogue Robotics Melty I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Ok so this is going to be a long saga, not sure if this will ever compete or even go anywhere but I want to have some fun building crap so here goes.

So the first thing to do is make a test platform. One that can withstand a crap load of G's.
This did not go well...

test one:

test 2, even better destruction!

I've got no clue how fast its spinning, but WOW. that g force is amazing. It tears itself apart with ease! It took me just an hour to build it though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Camden W
big contributor
big contributor

People Skills : 4913
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Robotics Melty   Rogue Robotics Melty I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 1:02 pm

I'd say you were up to at least 3k RPM's before it killed itself. looks like you need more knurled locknuts holding that collar in place Razz i'd say 6 should about do it.
Back to top Go down
abrown

abrown

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Robotics Melty   Rogue Robotics Melty I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 11:10 pm

Whole lot of progress today! made a new test platform, it spins great. Got it driving and translating too!

It has some problems though, the ESC keeps cutting out erratically. Not sure why but I tried two escs and they both had problems. One was worse than the other though.

Videos soon...
Back to top Go down
abrown

abrown

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Robotics Melty   Rogue Robotics Melty I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 12:11 am

any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Oliverwalters

People Skills : 4116
Registration date : 2013-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Robotics Melty   Rogue Robotics Melty I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 12:33 am

Are you using a new battery that you haven't tested before? The li-ion we have did the same thing until we discovered the there was a surge protector chip inside that need removed, before it would allow a full spin up.
Back to top Go down
abrown

abrown

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Robotics Melty   Rogue Robotics Melty I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 9:19 am

I'm using a 2s Lipo, I don't think it has any circuit protection built in. However the issue may have something to do with power, maybe I will try powering the electronics with a separate battery. Either that is the issue or it has something to do with the ESC not understanding the weird PWM signal.
Back to top Go down
MikeNCR
super contributor
super contributor
MikeNCR

People Skills : 5825
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Robotics Melty   Rogue Robotics Melty I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 11:43 am

Another option since I'm assuming you're using a bec would be to toss a capacitor across the battery port on the rx to level out the voltage should you get sag from high current draw. I've used these before to help with that- http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-SPM1600.html
Back to top Go down
http://nearchaos.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Robotics Melty   Rogue Robotics Melty I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rogue Robotics Melty
Page 1 of 1