Battlebots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battlebots

A new forum for battlebots enthusiasts, competitors, and fans.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inBuilders DB

15 lb. hollow drum bot??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnnyGTR34

People Skills : 4054
Registration date : 2013-03-29

15 lb. hollow drum bot?? Empty
PostSubject: 15 lb. hollow drum bot??   15 lb. hollow drum bot?? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Hello!

I am new to these forums, and I am currently in the design process for my second robot for my team. The one we used this year was thrown together real quick with a 2.25 in. diameter solid aluminum drum with bolt heads as teeth. I'm going for a 3 inch drum this time now that I have more time to think, but I still want to have mobility be a high priority (we placed 5th out of 35 with a robot designed basically in two weeks, but we had a fast drive system so we did pretty well).

Basically I was wondering for weight purposes how I would construct a durable hollow drum 3 inches in diameter? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5932
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: 15 lb. hollow drum bot??   15 lb. hollow drum bot?? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 9:10 am

Tubing
Back to top Go down
JohnnyGTR34

PostSubject: Re: 15 lb. hollow drum bot??   15 lb. hollow drum bot?? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 10:25 am

Right, but how would i put it together so that the drum won't come apart?
Back to top Go down
Don Doerfler
super contributor
super contributor
Don Doerfler

People Skills : 5637
Registration date : 2009-12-24

PostSubject: Re: 15 lb. hollow drum bot??   15 lb. hollow drum bot?? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 10:38 am

JohnnyGTR34 wrote:
Right, but how would i put it together so that the drum won't come apart?

out of flat stock aluminum make up end caps
also you want to use 3/16 or 1/4 thickness tubing
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/DoerflerRobotics?feature=mhum
rdubard
mega contributor
mega contributor

People Skills : 5932
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: 15 lb. hollow drum bot??   15 lb. hollow drum bot?? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:37 pm

Generally, the challenging part is to install teeth of some kind in a way that can deliver more damage than they take.
I do not have (somewhat asinine) perfunctory way to tell you how to do this. Very Happy
(Sorry for the snarky way I replied earlier.)

To be honest, our team really has not developed a great way to install teeth in a tubing drum yet. We have tried S7 teeth that are bolted into threaded holes in the aluminum. We have also tried installing them into a milled groove in addition to the bolts. We have made teeth that stick out through openings all the way through the tubing. We once even had aluminum teeth milled out of a much thicker tube, then added steel teeth in front of them.

All eventually have broken--either the teeth or the drum.

His Senior year, Will Bales paid a small fortune to have a hollow one-piece S7 drum, with integrated teeth, manufactured out of a solid 6 inch cylindrical slug. It hasn't broken, but it also hasn't seen much combat, because he moved up to120lb that year and hasn't ever really gone back to it. His little brother is trying to revive it, so maybe by the end of the month we will have some idea if this works.

Back to top Go down
saylor23

People Skills : 4877
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: 15 lb. hollow drum bot??   15 lb. hollow drum bot?? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 7:04 pm

We use 3.5 dia .5 thick 6061 tube about 5" long, milled grooves and installed two pieces of s7 tool steel for teeth, run the bolts through the tube and add washers and nuts. Have used it for about 10 to 12 battles. replaced the teeth a couple of times, other than that not a problem with it. weight's 3.5 lbs
Back to top Go down
JohnnyGTR34

PostSubject: Re: 15 lb. hollow drum bot??   15 lb. hollow drum bot?? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks guys!

That sounds like a good idea. We were also considering having a solid drum like before except with bigger bolt heads attached. But I will definitely try S7 teeth with bolts running through and nuts on the end.
Back to top Go down
Alex P. HASD Bots
great contributor
great contributor
Alex P. HASD Bots

People Skills : 5011
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: 15 lb. hollow drum bot??   15 lb. hollow drum bot?? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 12:15 pm

you also can't go wrong with grade 3 or 5 ti at about 32 to 38 rockwell, cuts back a little on weight and as strong if not stronger than steel
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 15 lb. hollow drum bot??   15 lb. hollow drum bot?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

15 lb. hollow drum bot??
Page 1 of 1